Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

10 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

No he updated his Instagram whilst he was in the North stand I think whilst at the stadium 

Yes he did. What I meant was the poster he quoted said he saw Doug in the stadium.

People saying we got battered by Arsenal with him are also under-appreciating just how shocking that formation was.

Any team that presses us gives us a hard time - we cannot cope at all.

But with Luiz as the sole DM in a three and back-four, he has options wide, left and right, back and forward. This has worked fine for the last 14 months?

He is the only press-proof player we have and I assume Deano doesn't just want our CBs absolutely hoofing it like we were on Sunday, but Hause and Konsa had no choice, because they a) don't trust Nakamba, b) why would they, c) his runs to collect were rubbish anyway.

We are absolutely screwed without this guy in the team. The only alternative for me would be to play Sanson as a DM or possibly McGinn if we are really that desperate. Carney can play higher up with one of the aforementioned two or even Buendia. We are stretched, but Nakamba cannot play as our only DM - we will just lose. Also Young is not the answer either lol.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

People saying we got battered by Arsenal with him are also under-appreciating just how shocking that formation was.

Any team that presses us gives us a hard time - we cannot cope at all.

But with Luiz as the sole DM in a three and back-four, he has options wide, left and right, back and forward. This has worked fine for the last 14 months?

He is the only press-proof player we have and I assume Deano doesn't just want our CBs absolutely hoofing it like we were on Sunday, but Hause and Konsa had no choice, because they a) don't trust Nakamba, b) why would they, c) his runs to collect were rubbish anyway.

We are absolutely screwed without this guy in the team. The only alternative for me would be to play Sanson as a DM or possibly McGinn if we are really that desperate. Carney can play higher up with one of the aforementioned two or even Buendia. We are stretched, but Nakamba cannot play as our only DM - we will just lose. Also Young is not the answer either lol.

Douglas Luiz, is the only real option we have in that role, hence his regular involvement.....yes he does pick up the ball from the back 4 and has the ball control to distribute it.....no problems with that....My question is, is that enough?

I see Dougie as a neat and tidy player, who is easy on the eye.....do I see him as someone to turn to when the chips are down?...No.......Do I see him as the insurance to shield the back four?, No......Do I see him as the general to rally a fight back and inspire the others?...No

Dougie for me is like a salesmen with a tidy desk, (efficient, but is he really a game maker?).......I see Dougie as limited in his attributes and needs a more rugged, go getter, alongside him. I am not advocating getting rid, I think he is a nice footballer, but we have many of them.

I am not blaming Dougie for the last 14 months....but the facts are we have not won in 29 games during that period.....Thats 48 games, not won 29......has it really worked?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Douglas Luiz, is the only real option we have in that role, hence his regular involvement.....yes he does pick up the ball from the back 4 and has the ball control to distribute it.....no problems with that....My question is, is that enough?

I see Dougie as a neat and tidy player, who is easy on the eye.....do I see him as someone to turn to when the chips are down?...No.......Do I see him as the insurance to shield the back four?, No......Do I see him as the general to rally a fight back and inspire the others?...No

Dougie for me is like a salesmen with a tidy desk, (efficient, but is he really a game maker?).......I see Dougie as limited in his attributes and needs a more rugged, go getter, alongside him. I am not advocating getting rid, I think he is a nice footballer, but we have many of them.

I am not blaming Dougie for the last 14 months....but the facts are we have not won in 29 games during that period.....Thats 48 games, not won 29......has it really worked?

This is exactly right and the team (plus the youth teams) is/are set up that way - DLP with a box to box who does the bit I bolded above.

The problem is that McGinn is supposed to be that guy and he's not nearly reliable or consistent enough. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

no comparison....amongst the best there is.

But Busquets isn't known for running around flying into tackles, dominating physically. He's similar to Dougie in how his best attribute is his passing, and his defensive work mainly relies on good positioning and intelligence more than anything else.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

no comparison....amongst the best there is.

Hmmm yeah, but he is not exactly ragged or a game winner, but he is indispensable to how Pep/Enrique have set up in a 4-3-3.

Luiz gets stuck in plenty. We are far, far more balanced with him in the team, with the way we want to play.

How can you possibly be even close to advocating getting rid of him - my point was without him we'd be absolutely f*cked! The point is we need another Luiz!

Edited by gilbertoAVFC
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

But Busquets isn't known for running around flying into tackles, dominating physically. He's similar to Dougie in how his best attribute is his passing, and his defensive work mainly relies on good positioning and intelligence more than anything else.

who cares how they stop the opposition, as long as they do it.....I am not seeking a vinnie Jones or the like, you have the wrong end of the stick.

The way the game is now, its difficult to emulate the Norman Hunters and Tommy Smiths......but there are still plenty of players in the Prem, who put themselves about....Busquets is no slouch anyway, just has great vision, which preceeds him.

I just look at One example....Conor Gallagher, he puts himself about and gets stuck in and isn't even a DM, No6, DLP....call it what you will......someone has to stop the opposition from marauding runs....I accept that its not just Dougie, who fails to do it.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

who cares how they stop the opposition, as long as they do it.....I am not seeking a vinnie Jones or the like, you have the wrong end of the stick.

The way the game is now, its difficult to emulate the Norman Hunters and Tommy Smiths......but there are still plenty of players in the Prem, who put themselves about....Busquets is no slouch anyway, just has great vision, which preceeds him.

I just look at One example....Conor Gallagher, he puts himself about and gets stuck in and isn't even a DM, No6, DLP....call it what you will......someone has to stop the opposition from marauding runs....I accept that its not just Dougie, who fails to do it.

Gallagher is a cracking all-rounder but this season Luiz beats him for tackles + interceptions, blocks (passes and shots), and has a higher success rate of tackling dribblers and not being dribbled past per 90.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Hmmm yeah, but he is not exactly ragged or a game winner, but he is indispensable to how Pep/Enrique have set up in a 4-3-3.

Luiz gets stuck in plenty. We are far, far more balanced with him in the team, with the way we want to play.

How can you possibly be even close to advocating getting rid of him - my point was without him we'd be absolutely f*cked! The point is we need another Luiz!

• Busquets is the Engine room, that the play stems from and the shield to the defence.... Dougie is not, he is not on the same level, by any imagination.
  •  He don't, its not his forte
  • What do you mean the way we want to play......we can't win games, thats the way we are playing.
  • I didn't subscribe to him leaving, in actual fact I said the opposite, read what is being said.
  • We don't need another Douglas Luiz, we need a contrasting player with quality, to play alongside him...he needs a chaperone.
  •  

8 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Gallagher is a cracking all-rounder but this season Luiz beats him for tackles + interceptions, blocks (passes and shots), and has a higher success rate of tackling dribblers and not being dribbled past per 90.

My eyes are telling me lies then.....It depends on how all that is collated....I see interceptions as a possibility, due to their positional play, Tackles, shots, nah.....passes, maybe all in our own half, from defender to midfield, when no one is near.

Not convinced by that....I am not saying he is a bad player, just not as good as some are making out...If he was as good as some make out , why haven't teams come in for him?

Its funny really....most folk are now recognising the midfield is the nub of the problem......yet we still get the 3 who are the main ones revered,by some, something doesn't stack up here.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

Â