Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

17 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Well yeah but you'd be hard pressed to find a DM with the lot. Especially for a club like us.

Are you saying you'd swap out passing and vision for someone who's more aggressive?

are you saying players with natural aggression, can't pass the ball?

23 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Well yeah but you'd be hard pressed to find a DM with the lot. Especially for a club like us.

Are you saying you'd swap out passing and vision for someone who's more aggressive?

Not just aggression. I want a more physical, powerful guy in there. 

I don't feel our balance is right. Too many technical players and too few physical players. We look vulnerable during set pieces.

We need to identify these types of players in the marked. Look at Arsenal. After they lost the spine of Campbell and Vieira they've been bullied over the years.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't feel our balance is right. Too many technical players and too few physical players. We look vulnerable during set pieces.

We need to identify these types of players in the marked. Look at Arsenal. After they lost the spine of Campbell and Vieira they've been bullied over the years.

its the essence of our problems......Arsenal is a good example,in style, we are similar.

Its called Balance, you are right......Southampton have it.....Leeds have it too.

For me he's a quarter back dm like he plays for Brazil. Unlike us(Villa)he has Casimero to share the defensive dutys and that frees him up alot to dictate play more.

What does that say about Villa? if Brazil are more defensive than us and they are renouned for attacking play. 

For me it's obvious we need a hard working defensive minded mid to play with him. 

• Like 1

Just now, KAZZAM said:

For me he's a quarter back dm like he plays for Brazil. Unlike us(Villa)he has Casimero to share the defensive dutys and that frees him up alot to dictate play more.

What does that say about Villa? if Brazil are more defensive than us and they are renouned for attacking play. 

For me it's obvious we need a hard working defensive minded mid to play with him. 

What mcginn needs to be. We need a good defensive midfielder who offers offensive value lack casemeiro. There are a few players like that and we desperately need one.

I'm not sure I understand the argument, but I think it's this:

Douglas Luiz is a deep lying playmaker. He's not a real defensive midfielder in that he doesn't dominate aerially and he doesn't rattle bones and he doesn't physically impose himself.

There are players that do and, going by where we are in the scheme of things, the ones we can afford tend to be more like Jedinak, Whelan, NRC and even McCann and less like Viera, Keane, Makelele and even Kante. (The best we've had recently was Gana Gueye - and he got lumped in the middle of an awful team and management. Shame that)

That being the case, I'm very happy with Luiz filling the DM role.

• Like 2

On 02/12/2020 at 20:04, KAZZAM said:

I think it's worth trying at home where let's remember we've just lost three games to three teams who are very unlikely to make top 6 so we can't act like the 11 formation and shape works perfectly at VP currently.

Short term probably bring in Nakamba and push Luiz a little forward until January and then see what Lange comes up with. Could mean with everyone fit McGinn's place comes under threat.

Keep things as they are away. Even though we lost  the other night we were pretty good going forward as we have been in the other away games so it's working away but we do need to tweak thinga a little at home as teams are cutting through us as easily as we're doing to opposition on their own patch.

On 02/12/2020 at 19:19, villalad21 said:

I certainly do not think Luiz has been bullied, if you look at his play and how he behaves he is certainly the one doing the bullying, I'd say sane about McGinn as well because he doesnt stand for anything and Barkley well alot of players he comes up against in matches he can just leave them for dust.

It would not hurt come January though to bring what you suggested in a physical player to burn there team down so they are left gasping. I do think your onto something because you do need both but have to at the same time be able to plan it all out and make it work.

Why do you think I wanted Billing to join us, big Physical presence who controls his zone and wears people out VillaLad, he would of been a fantastic option to have in midfield I thought. To have either Billing to start with Luiz and Barkley and bring McGinn on after half time for maybe Luiz or Barkley depending on the situation would of been something that would of been a very good rotation I reckon.

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

I certainly do not think Luiz has been bullied, if you look at his play and how he behaves he is certainly the one doing the bullying, I'd say sane about McGinn as well because he doesnt stand for anything and Barkley well alot of players he comes up against in matches he can just leave them for dust.

It would not hurt come January though to bring what you suggested in a physical player to burn there team down so they are left gasping. I do think your onto something because you do need both but have to at the same time be able to plan it all out and make it work.

Why do you think I wanted Billing to join us, big Physical presence who controls his zone and wears people out VillaLad, he would of been a fantastic option to have in midfield I thought. To have either Billing to start with Luiz and Barkley and bring McGinn on after half time for maybe Luiz or Barkley depending on the situation would of been something that would of been a very good rotation I reckon.

Billing is shit. Of we were going to sign any of the relegated midfield doucore was the choice player. Instead we should be looking at bundesliga or Ligue 1 players. Thinking about it the record for very good DMs from Ligue 1 is very good. Gueye, Kante and Mendy (the Leicester one) all came from Ligue 1. And there are quite a few good ones in there right now. 

I don't see the need to beef up the midfield by bringing in a greater physical presence.  Luiz is absolutely fine as our DM. He is the key to triggering many of our attacks from deep within our half.  Very rarely have I ever seen him lose a physical battle. His heading is a weakness but most Prem teams keep the ball on the deck so it's not a huge worry. 

Another great thing about Douglas is his lack of yellows. He is 2nd in interceptions and 4th in tackles yet only has 2 yellows in 9 games played. 

Our defensive weakness is definitely out wide.  Almost every goal we concede comes from attacks from the flanks. Our FBs are both on the field to mainly generate attacking moves and it shows when it comes to their defending. 

Targett is who he is. Physically he is lacking and eventually I hope we find some one better. You can tell Cash has the physical tools but lacks the know how. Hopefully that knowledge comes with more time spent playing the position. 

• Like 2

How can people on the one hand insist he won't be with us long and insist that Man City will buy him back, and then say we need to replace him as our DM, if Man City were to buy him back it wouldn't be for any other position than as a DM, if he's good enough for them in that position then he's certainly good enough for us playing there as well.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, useless said:

How can people on the one hand insist he won't be with us long and insist that Man City will buy him back, and then say we need to replace him as our DM, if Man City were to buy him back it wouldn't be for any other position than as a DM, if he's good enough for them in that position then he's certainly good enough for us playing there as well.

Probably because its not the same people saying those things

• Like 1

Â