Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Mcginn managed to support him in the 3 away games we won.  Changing Luiz Isn’t going to solve all of our defensive issues.  We need to defend better as a team when we are trying to break teams down and lose the ball. I’m sure we will. 

He isn't strong enough to do the job on his own. He needs help as you say.

For me you won't get the best out of McGinn in the holding role. He is a very attacking minded midfielder.

We need to identify and look for a proper defensive midfielder in the marked. For me it's 1st priority. But we'll see what happens.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

For me you won't get the best out of McGinn in the holding role. He is a very attacking minded midfielder.

We need to identify and look for a proper defensive midfielder in the marked. For me it's 1st priority. But we'll see what happens.

I disagree with this.  I think, in the Liverpool and Arsenal games, our midfield has looked stunning.  The set up in both games, from my take, was Luiz (4), McGinn (8) and Barkley (10).  It worked well because McGinn performed well in the "8" role - a box to box midfielder coming from deep and driving the team forward.  Luiz works well as the more defensive of the two "sitting CM'ers" in this set up.  In the games where we haven't performed - the last three home games - the big disappointment for me, and the reason we have been relatively poor, is that SJM just hasn't been on form.

The whole tempo and drive of our team comes from SJM, and when he doesn't perform - and he has been pretty inconsistent this season compared to his pre-lockdown form (PL & Championship) - we don't look half the side we should.  This is exacerbated by the fact that we have no-one that can cover for SJM!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, tomav84 said:

you are right in describing the perfect DM but they don't grow on trees...there probably hasn't been a player to fit the above perfectly since makalele. we definitely have players that fit SOME of those attributes though. your first point i think fits marvelous' strengths, i think he reads the game well and breaks up play brilliantly...but can't pass to save his life. luiz definitely is a good passer and starts attacks but struggles to read danger (i.e. brighton's 2nd goal on saturday). if a player existed today that covers all the points you raised, they'd be at one of the elite clubs with silly transfer fees being discussed

we do have 2 players at least who have some of the core attributes for this position, and their weaknesses are coachable, with age on their side. bearing in mind jedinak and whelan were the last players we had in this position, we have certainly had quite the upgrade IMO.

Thats a cop out.......I believe they are out there, even in my description.....if you search the internet (Fifa 20) there is loads of Dm's

what I am not sure about is the club thinking its a priority.

I was describing the ideal one.....maybe we have to settle for a player with less attributes, that we can develop.

All the good teams have at least one.....Southampton have 2 in Ward Prowse and Romeu....Leicester have Ndidi.....a fully functioning Man City have Fenandinho or Rodri.

I think Marvellous lets too many players drift past him.....gets his foot in, on occasions, too hit and miss.....we need some one dominant.

17 hours ago, TRO said:

I think Marvellous lets too many players drift past him.....gets his foot in, on occasions, too hit and miss.....we need some one dominant.

I don't disagree.  When he first played for us I thought he was going to be the "new Kante" but his form tailed off.  Maybe, in his second season in the PL/having settled in and playing with better players around him/others that have also settled in, he will be better. It can take foreign imports a while to settle in, especially when they are coming from a smaller league like Belgium's.  Here's hoping!!

• Like 1

On 24/11/2020 at 18:38, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was fantastic at all of this after lockdown last season and one of the main reasons we stayed up. 

Yes, but because he's not taller and wider, he immediately becomes a player that can't read the game and isn't robust.

Feed him a load of pies and give him a 2ft hat and suddenly our defensive woes will be someone else's fault.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Anyone know what he actually says about Manchester City here. Whatever it is he’s happy about it cos he retweeted it.

According to google translate it says **** Man City, villa is the only club for me. 

But on a serious note it says this 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

Shining in the Villa! 🦁 The Brazilian midfielder has an excellent season, both in the Premier League and in the national team, and already speculates about a trip to Manchester City next season.

On 26/11/2020 at 13:30, barry'sboots said:

I disagree with this.  I think, in the Liverpool and Arsenal games, our midfield has looked stunning.  The set up in both games, from my take, was Luiz (4), McGinn (8) and Barkley (10).  It worked well because McGinn performed well in the "8" role - a box to box midfielder coming from deep and driving the team forward.  Luiz works well as the more defensive of the two "sitting CM'ers" in this set up.  In the games where we haven't performed - the last three home games - the big disappointment for me, and the reason we have been relatively poor, is that SJM just hasn't been on form.

The whole tempo and drive of our team comes from SJM, and when he doesn't perform - and he has been pretty inconsistent this season compared to his pre-lockdown form (PL & Championship) - we don't look half the side we should.  This is exacerbated by the fact that we have no-one that can cover for SJM!

I agree.

But i also think Liverpool and arsenal never pressed us like the teams did in our last 3 home games.....We do struggle with teams who press us.

its ironic that at their best Liverpool are one of the best pressing teams, but i think their edge is nit quite there, maybe van Dyck is a big miss.

personally, i think we lack players in the squad who can deal with it well.I think we have a lot of players very similar in style, we need some contrast.

where i think you are right, McGinn can deal with it at times, but his form is very hit and miss......He plays well, we play well.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I agree.

But i also think Liverpool and arsenal never pressed us like they did in our last 3 home games.....We do struggle with teams who press us.

its ironic that at their best Liverpool are one of the best pressing teams, but i think their edge is nit quite there, maybe van Dyck is a big miss.

personally, i think we lack players in the squad who can deal with it well.I think we have a lot of players very similar in style, we need some contrast.

where i think you are right, McGinn can deal with it at times, but his form is very hit and miss......He plays well, we play well.

I disagree Tro. I’d argue they did but we set up to counter that and play on the break. The other games we set up to take the game to the opponents hence leaving massive gaps.  We are struggling to get the balance right against teams on our level and the so called better teams.  A work in progress maybe?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think the fear of Man City triggering Dougie's buy back claused is unfounded.

I have no fear at all of them considering such a move.

I do, especially if the fee is the rumoured 35m. That money, for a Brazilian international, that Pep openly stated he never wanted to sell, that will now get a work permit for them,  is an absolute no brainer for them.  Whether we can offer some money to them, which makes the 35m effectively a lot more, is the only question for me.

Edited by MrBlack

14 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I do, especially if the fee is the rumoured 35m. That money, for a Brazilian international, that Pep openly stated he never wanted to sell, that will now get a work permit for them,  is an absolute no brainer for them.  Whether we can offer some money to them, which makes the 35m effectively a lot more, is the only question for me.

I am not saying, he is a bad player....but i clearly don't rate him as highly as you....not at present anyway.

• Like 1

On 26/11/2020 at 12:31, villalad21 said:

I completely disagree, whilst mcginn is an attack minded midfielder frankly he is shit at it. He works best when playing deep and where he has space to turn and beat a man and play long balls. Once he is close quarters his best attributes are muted and he becomes incredibly selfish. 

• Like 1

On 26/11/2020 at 23:30, barry'sboots said:

It may be working in certain games, but for me Luiz is more a deep lying playmaker, yes he will work hard in defence, but he’s not your classic DM who’s going to put a opposition player on their backside. We need that type of player.

Edited by QldVilla
  • Like 1

Â