Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

4 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Who said his tackling and interceptions stats were poor. He's 2nd on the team in interceptions and 4th in tackles. 

As others have mentioned if he isn't a good DM then why are we worried about ManC activating the buy back. I swear I can never get a handle on this thread. 

He's 5th in tackles and 3rd in interceptions according to whoscored, but you shouldn't be comparing his total stats to the rest of the team. You should be looking at his tackles and interceptions per 90 stats with the rest of the league for his position.

He's made 0.9 successful tackles per 90 and 1.3 interceptions per 90 this season and its remarkably similar to his stats last season. I think the fact that he averages literally less than a tackle per 90 minutes speaks for itself. Interceptions are better but still nothing that impressive. And yes, I get that stats don't tell you the whole picture before someone ineivitably responds with that. Its just in this case, the stats support my own perception of his play.

I am not too worried about Man City activating the buy back. I don't see it being completely out of the question since he's still young and despite my criticisms of him, I do think he's a decent player with quite some potential. Furthermore, City will likely get fleeced if they go after any player so there's a chance they might just go for Luiz as a cheaper option(as well as being a player Pep likes and is familliar with the Man City system) and hope that he can be molded into a world class DM instead of spending big money for that 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

i think he's tackling and interception stats are bad because he's just bad at defending. I don't see how you can be in the right place and body players off the ball yet not have it reflect in your tackling and interception statistics. I've certainly rarely noticed him bodying players off the ball as you've said. 

I really don't see him as a DM at all. He's just not that kind of player. 

You might be surprised to know, I think you are right.....He doesn't.

I think his smoothness on the ball detracts from the issues we are talking about.....He is not a natural defender, that does not mean a naturally bad player......He hasn't got a natural nose for stopping the opposition, he is more naturally akin to attacking.

No one is saying, he isn't a talent, just not in the role he is being deployed......IMO.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He's 5th in tackles and 3rd in interceptions according to whoscored, but you shouldn't be comparing his total stats to the rest of the team. You should be looking at his tackles and interceptions per 90 stats with the rest of the league for his position.

He's made 0.9 successful tackles per 90 and 1.3 interceptions per 90 this season and its remarkably similar to his stats last season. I think the fact that he averages literally less than a tackle per 90 minutes speaks for itself. Interceptions are better but still nothing that impressive. And yes, I get that stats don't tell you the whole picture before someone ineivitably responds with that. Its just in this case, the stats support my own perception of his play.

I am not too worried about Man City activating the buy back. I don't see it being completely out of the question since he's still young and despite my criticisms of him, I do think he's a decent player with quite some potential. Furthermore, City will likely get fleeced if they go after any player so there's a chance they might just go for Luiz as a cheaper option(as well as being a player Pep likes and is familliar with the Man City system) and hope that he can be molded into a world class DM instead of spending big money for that 

Totally agree.

I would like to think ,I am not criticising him, just making observations on some weaknesses in the position he plays.....He is young and I am sure will make a fine player.

I am not as sure as some in Pep coming back for him......Any more than I believed Sir Alex Ferguson championing Alex McLeish...... Top managers have a habit of saying things to legitimise their agenda.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I personally feel he could offer alot more as a box to box midfielder, than a sitting midfielder.

Think its a waste of some of is skill and shooting talent.

Agreed. But its kind of hard to square that with our current midfield set up who some already argue is already pretty attacking oriented.

I feel like if Nakamba was actually good, having him, Mcginn and Barkley together would be a very well-rounded midfield. Instead, I feel like we're kind of shoehorning Luiz in this holding role.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I personally feel he could offer alot more as a box to box midfielder, than a sitting midfielder.

Think its a waste of some of is skill and shooting talent.

couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Agreed. But its kind of hard to square that with our current midfield set up who some already argue is already pretty attacking oriented.

I feel like if Nakamba was actually good, having him, Mcginn and Barkley together would be a very well-rounded midfield. Instead, I feel like we're kind of shoehorning Luiz in this holding role.

thats exactly my sentiment.

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

A big miss in the transfer department. We'll be selling him for half what we paid.

No problem in trying Luiz further forward, but this deeper role is his position. It's where he's played most of his career.

Not sure he's got the dynamism for the 8 or 10 position right now, no reason to think he couldn't figure something out though.

If we can splash again Boubacar Kamara is one who would improve us big time and pad out a couple of positions. Plays CB and DM and is on the rise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Tackles and Interceptions aren't good indicators for defensive ability often. The most indicative thing is ball recoveries which is winning the ball back from mistakes and clearances.

50 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

A big miss in the transfer department. We'll be selling him for half what we paid.

No problem in trying Luiz further forward, but this deeper role is his position. It's where he's played most of his career.

Not sure he's got the dynamism for the 8 or 10 position right now, no reason to think he couldn't figure something out though.

If we can splash again Boubacar Kamara is one who would improve us big time and pad out a couple of positions. Plays CB and DM and is on the rise.

I think it's more he plays slightly more advanced for Brazil, Casemiro is the pure DM (similar at Madrid where he's there just behind a DLP like Modric or Kroos). Away to likes of Uruguay they will both sit deep but at home where Brazil are expected to play in opponent's half he was popping up in the box a couple of times v Venezuela.

I'd try to get him further up the pitch in home games as what we're doing isn't getting results currently. Away from home set up is fine.

16 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Tackles and Interceptions aren't good indicators for defensive ability often. The most indicative thing is ball recoveries which is winning the ball back from mistakes and clearances.

There is more than one factor to indicate a good defender.....but they need to be instrumental in stopping opponents from scoring, not just take up positions and ball watch......how they do it, is subjective.

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I think it's more he plays slightly more advanced for Brazil, Casemiro is the pure DM (similar at Madrid where he's there just behind a DLP like Modric or Kroos). Away to likes of Uruguay they will both sit deep but at home where Brazil are expected to play in opponent's half he was popping up in the box a couple of times v Venezuela.

I'd try to get him further up the pitch in home games as what we're doing isn't getting results currently. Away from home set up is fine.

The fact that Brazil feel it necessary to play a player like Casemiro, says it all.Its testimony to the point being made about us.

Why can't we look for a player like Casemiro, even if we have to settle for lesser quality, but a player with similar qualities.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

The fact that Brazil feel it necessary to play a player like Casemiro, says it all.Its testimony to the point being made about us.

Why can't we look for a player like Casemiro, even if we have to settle for lesser quality, but a player with similar qualities.

That is because Renan Lodi is essentially left winger so Neymar can have a free role. Luiz basically plays LB for Brazil. 

http://sportwitness.co.uk/rumours-e25m-rated-aston-villa-star-continue-swap-deal-now-suggested/

Rumours about €25m rated Aston Villa star continue – Swap deal now being suggested

Juventus’s interest in Aston Villa midfielder Douglas Luiz seems to be a rumour which is gaining pace in the Italian media.

Back at the weekend, a claim from Tutto Mercato Web said an intermediary had ‘proposed’ the midfielder to the Old Lady.

It was said that a deal could be found for €25m, although there was apparently no response from the Serie A side yet.

The story is now backed up by website Tutto Juve, who have an article from journalist Massimo Pavan talking about this possibility as well.

This time, it’s once again claimed that Douglas Luiz would be available for €25m, and added that Juventus could offer ‘counterparts’, probably suggesting some sort of swap deal.

With the Brazilian standing out in the Premier League, it seems a little unlikely that he’d be worth only €25m, especially if being offered around like that.

It’s also worth pointing out that Manchester City still have an option to buy him back, which was agreed when selling him to the Villans last year.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

2 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Has not really lived up to his potential so far.If get a good deal,would not be too upset if we sell him.

Would you have expected him to reach his full potential at 22? I don't think Juve would be interested (if they even are) if they expect him to remain at the same level for the next 12 years.

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I'd sell Luiz for anything around 30m euros or more. So I'd probably take 25m and a good player

What are you on about?

DM is mainly about positioning, tracking runs, closing off options, offering out balls to defenders... retaining possession... springing attacks. You can't base your opinions off WhoScored stats. Try to watch the actual game!

Douglas Luiz is one of the best players in the squad. Future Brazil captain. He's worth significantly more than 30m.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â