Björn Engels

Delphinho123

16 hours ago, KHV said:

I don’t understand how Engels doesnt start instead of Hause 

Hauses distribution is like Steve Wonder after a bag of meth

Engels should play in the middle with Konsa and Mings either side

I agree, it should mean Mings can carry it out too, he's generally decent on the ball and having that cover should allow the team to step up a bit more. 

12 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He cost £3m, it is nothing in today’s market, what do you expect for that fee? He’s great in the air

He's a decent rotation option, but he can't be a starter in the PL for the football we want to play. He's the anti thesis of possession ball. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He cost £3m, it is nothing in today’s market, what do you expect for that fee? He’s great in the air

Just because he did not cost much does not mean we should be happy with his performances.

Although it is an indictment of our transfer policy.

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Mings has to be central 

Why?, because our defence overall is so much better and we dont concede goa........oh wait....

I agree Mings is critical to our team and defence, but I dont think its critical that he is central.

Engels and Mings could both help marshal the defence and support konsa.

I think the only reason Mings is so critical centrally recently is he has two inexperienced players alongside him in konsa and Hause. 

Playing left central would also allow him to burst forward a little more which he is actually quite good at.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3

I would also have Mings and Konsa either side of Engels. Hause is ok as a ball winning CB but his distribution skills are not as good as Engels and we need a calmer head marshalling the back line. Mings is class but I think he'd be better on the left with slightly more freedom to push on at times.

Edited by jacketspuds
Spealing
  • Like 2

I would agree that Mings needs to be central to organise everything. If Engels comes back in I would rather it be for Konsa. It is clear to see what Hause brings to the defence (both good and bad), but Konsa not so much.

I think next game will be Mings-Engels-Konsa and I think that is what Dean would be planning long term with this formation, but having brought in Hause and him generally done ok he felt he should stick with him. Bit of a horror show against Bournemouth will likely mean Engels comes in and then I think that’s our strongest defence (so let’s hope it works...)

1 minute ago, poitier said:

I would agree that Mings needs to be central to organise everything. If Engels comes back in I would rather it be for Konsa. It is clear to see what Hause brings to the defence (both good and bad), but Konsa not so much.

Guess this is the nature of great debates in football - I think Engels could play that central role organising (though we will find out - maybe he will try and it’ll be terrible), I think Mings would be great on the left of a back three, and I think Konsa is levels ahead of Hause. But I can see all the various points of view here and they are totally valid.

• Like 1

This is a difficult selection. Yes, Engels is better on the ball than Hause, but be prepared to be bullied on crosses and set pieces again if Hause is out of the side. This was a real problem before Hause came in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elton said:

This is a difficult selection. Yes, Engels is better on the ball than Hause, but be prepared to be bullied on crosses and set pieces again if Hause is out of the side. This was a real problem before Hause came in. 

I think Hause just spreads panic because of his woeful passing.

I'd be surprised if any in the back 5 actually trust him.

Hause needs to get out of the team as soon as possible. He is barely a Championship defender imo.

Hause plays on the same side as Grealish, which hampers how often he gets the ball when building from the back. If Grealish switched to the right then he no longer has the option to curl a shot right-footed, and he no longer has his Targett link-up.

If we want our best 3 passing defenders in the team then we’re stuck between either playing our best defender on the left of the 3 and sacrificing that defensive solidity in the middle, or potentially playing Engels/Konsa on the left and not having that natural left-footed option there. 

Personally I’d go for the latter, with Engels simply replacing Hause in our current back 3, because I don’t think it’s that important to have a left-footer there. But, Smith seems pretty rigid in his approach, so I think we’ll see Engels replace Konsa, which, imo, is a shame.

Â