Björn Engels

Delphinho123

Probably a bit rusty which is what happens when you bin a player for a few months

he's a better defender than Hause and Konsa , one of those 2 should make way for Mings when he is over the illness

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, DCJonah said:

He looked absolute top class when he started. I think he's been found out and as a team, we've been very poor defensively. 

Neither thing really helps him. When you're as slow as he is, especially when turning then you need to make it for it with exceptional tackling and reading of the game. I'm not sure he possesses either of them. 

The thing is, it wasn’t just a couple of decent games, he was consistently good for the first third of the season. 

It’s the same with a lot of the players we have brought in. They have shown on multiple occasions that they have the ability to play at this level, but for various reasons the consistency as individuals and therefore as a team, just isn’t there. 

It’s not for this thread, but we simply have too many players ‘learning to play’ at this level at the same time. 

• Like 1

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Probably a bit rusty which is what happens when you bin a player for a few months

he's a better defender than Hause and Konsa , one of those 2 should make way for Mings when he is over the illness

That’s not the way it works on VT Tony! He made 2 errors (in a more difficult position than our other defenders) so he must be the worst defender we have!

James Chester (who’s team have conceded 7 Championship goals in 3 games) MUST come back and replace him.

Just now, Rob182 said:

That’s not the way it works on VT Tony! He made 2 errors (in a more difficult position than our other defenders) so he must be the worst defender we have!

James Chester (who’s team have conceded 7 Championship goals in 3 games) MUST come back and replace him.

He was easily the worst of the 3 yesterday. He didn't just make 2 errors. There were others, it's just that he absolutely gifted them 2 goals with 2 errors. 

Who do you think makes way for Mings next game?

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He was easily the worst of the 3 yesterday. He didn't just make 2 errors. There were others, it's just that he absolutely gifted them 2 goals with 2 errors. 

Who do you think makes way for Mings next game?

Football's all about opinion, and mine differs to yours.

I thought (two mistakes aside) he was the best out of the 3 yesterday, and good enough to be up there with a shout for MOTM before he gifted them the winner (probably behind Jack and Luiz as my personal 'MOTM', before his 93rd minute error).

I think Engels will make way for Mings in the next game, simply because of Engels' last minute catastrophe, but I think he'll eventually make his way into the squad, potentially replacing Konsa.

Engels - Mings - Hause

Personally I'd play 'Konsa - Mings - Engels', but we know that Smith likes a left footer on the left.

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

Football's all about opinion, and mine differs to yours.

I thought (two mistakes aside) he was the best out of the 3 yesterday, and good enough to be up there with a shout for MOTM before he gifted them the winner (probably behind Jack and Luiz as my personal 'MOTM', before his 93rd minute error).

I think Engels will make way for Mings in the next game, simply because of Engels' last minute catastrophe, but I think he'll eventually make his way into the squad, potentially replacing Konsa.

Engels - Mings - Hause

Personally I'd play 'Konsa - Mings - Engels', but we know that Smith likes a left footer on the left.

This is where I disagree. If he was the best defender yesterday then he wouldn't be dropped in the next game. 

I think he will rightly be dropped because he was the worst. 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

They were all very poor. Trying to pick who was 'the worst' is a depressing job, and one that I guess Smith and Terry have to do, but I'm not giving any credit to any of them for yesterday's performance. 

That's the reality of it. I'm pretty sure Smith would happily drop them all if he had the luxury.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

They were all very poor. Trying to pick who was 'the worst' is a depressing job, and one that I guess Smith and Terry have to do, but I'm not giving any credit to any of them for yesterday's performance. 

Hard to disagree. It's been like it too many times. 

Decision making, passing and just standard defending has been comical far too many times. 

The last time we went down, with okore, lescott, Baker and Richard's, me and my brothers would always say, only Villa concede such laughable goals. 

Its starting to happen again. 

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

This is where I disagree. If he was the best defender yesterday then he wouldn't be dropped in the next game. 

I think he will rightly be dropped because he was the worst. 

As I said on the last page, I don't think you should judge a player just on their mistakes. They should be judged on the good and bad things they do consistently.

IIRC, Engels has had one short sub appearance since late December, so he's likely to be a bit rusty. 

I think he'll be dropped simply because he gifted 2 goals (I can't be bothered to get into the penalty decision that other teams haven't been given a penalty for this season), but I don't think Smith will think that those two errors make him our worst defender. In my opinion, he's better with and without the ball than Hause and Engels, so naturally he'll replace one of them at some point.

17 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

As I said on the last page, I don't think you should judge a player just on their mistakes. They should be judged on the good and bad things they do consistently.

IIRC, Engels has had one short sub appearance since late December, so he's likely to be a bit rusty. 

I think he'll be dropped simply because he gifted 2 goals (I can't be bothered to get into the penalty decision that other teams haven't been given a penalty for this season), but I don't think Smith will think that those two errors make him our worst defender. In my opinion, he's better with and without the ball than Hause and Engels, so naturally he'll replace one of them at some point.

I'd just say that I think it would be poor man management if smith believed he was our best defender and then dropped him for his error. 

He looks like a walking calamity every I see him recently. There's something really weird about his concentration. I don't know whether it's off pitch issues or whether he isn't comfortable in a back 3, but from actually thinking he was rather good at the start of the season, he now is to me an obvious weak link in our defence. 

Hopefully Mings is back for Saints, and we don't have to see him on the pitch. 

52 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I do agree, but much like being a goalkeeper, it doesn't matter how well you play, if you're making huge errors like that then you're performing badly.

It's harsh but that's the way it is.

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

The thing is, it wasn’t just a couple of decent games, he was consistently good for the first third of the season. 

It’s the same with a lot of the players we have brought in. They have shown on multiple occasions that they have the ability to play at this level, but for various reasons the consistency as individuals and therefore as a team, just isn’t there. 

It’s not for this thread, but we simply have too many players ‘learning to play’ at this level at the same time. 

Agree with this and this is why this season reminds me, sadly, of the one we went down a few years ago. We have players who have great potential but may only realise that elsewhere if we go down. 

14 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Too much leeway in this thread. Either of those catastrophic errors are unforgivable once every 6 months. 2 in 1 game is a fineable offence.

Don't be daft.

Two errors (1 of which was a 50/50 decision that the ref didn't give and VAR 'only reviewing clear and obvious errors' gave) in one game, and you don't think one of our 'budget' defenders should be making either of those errors from September to February?

Nonsense.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I do agree, but much like being a goalkeeper, it doesn't matter how well you play, if you're making huge errors like that then you're performing badly.

It's harsh but that's the way it is.

'Apart from all the racism, he's a great dinner companion'

'Apart from all the hairs, it was an excellent sandwich'

I agree with you. In some lights you could say 'apart from two catastrophic errors, he actually had quite a good game' but that isn't very meaningful, because the two catastrophic errors really matter.

• Like 1

Â