Björn Engels

Delphinho123

1 hour ago, TreeVillan said:

What a load of rubbish. 

You can’t say anything on here can you? Long gone are the days when VT was a good alternative to the usual social media channels. Now it seems just as bad.

Imagine having the preposterous opinion that Engels, a player that started the season so well with Mings, was signed for decent money, scouted by Smith at Brentford and had played 7 seasons at a decent level (Belgian league and above), is your preferred option over Hause, essentially a budget squad player that we bought, who is often defensively solid like a James Collins, but seems severely lacking in his ability to distribute the ball 20 yards to his fullback.

28 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I can see the frustrations but I was more frustrated that we seemed to be giving the opposition a goal headstart from corners every other game and Hause has gone a long way to fixing that.  At the moment we have to play the percentages because it is so tight in and around us in the league.  Hopefully Hause will improve his passing over time as the confidence and possession of the whole team improves.  At some stage sides will probably work out a plan against our 3-4-3 formation and we go back to 4 at the back and Engels will come back in alongside Mings as they were the best two-centre half combination we have had this season.

People ignore the end to end long ball that Hause does to Grealish twice that creates a threat vs Watford plus winning goal and focus on the one ball that led to a goal much later after the fault vs Brighton and City game where whole team didn't turn up. I'm just curious how many of these people rated Hutton who was caught out of position so many god damn times I was actually glad he got injured and am convinced that was influential in getting us promoted but he scored a worldie against the Blues so forget his horrendous defensive positioning

Edited by Kiwivillan

13 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

People ignore the end to end long ball that Hause does to Grealish twice that creates a threat vs Watford plus winning goal and focus on the one ball that led to a goal much later after the fault vs Brighton and City game where whole team didn't turn up. I'm just curious how many of these people rated Hutton who was caught out of position so many god damn times I was actually glad he got injured and am convinced that was influential in getting us promoted but he scored a worldie against the Blues so forget his horrendous defensive positioning

What the hell has Hutton got to do with this?

This must be part of the black & white Villa fan mentality. If you think Engels should be in the team, you obviously thought Hutton was good too. :huh:

I didn’t ignore anything in the game. I saw Hause’s contribution, I saw his involvement in our winning goal, I saw his long passes. What I also saw was a defensive display that I think would have been bettered by Engels, based on the times I’ve seen Engels play this season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

What the hell has Hutton got to do with this?

People loved Hutton who was defensively horrific but they didn't care or they just completely ignored it. Hause is like a Jedinak scapegoat even when we win

Edited by Kiwivillan

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

People loved Hutton who was defensively horrific but they didn't care or they just completely ignored it. Hause is like a Jedinak scapegoat even when we win

So you think Hause is better than Engels?

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

On the left of a back 3? For aerial ability in defence? Absolutely! 

I doubt we’ll get to see Engels in that position of that team, to even find out, but I disagree.

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I doubt we’ll get to see Engels in that position of that team, to even find out, but I disagree.

Engels did good for us don't get me wrong, I'd welcome him back and the trip to France now is weird but I'd rather keep Hause for left foot and aerials in a back 3 and Engels can come in for Konsa who I also rate. I trust in Dean's judgement. I'm raging at people mostly on FB giving Hause shit after a vital win

52 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

You can’t say anything on here can you? Long gone are the days when VT was a good alternative to the usual social media channels. Now it seems just as bad.

Imagine having the preposterous opinion that Engels, a player that started the season so well with Mings, was signed for decent money, scouted by Smith at Brentford and had played 7 seasons at a decent level (Belgian league and above), is your preferred option over Hause,essentially a budget squad player that we bought, who is often defensively solid like a James Collins, but seems severely lacking in his ability to distribute the ball 20 yards to his fullback.

I don't think most of what you said regarding wanting Engels over Hause is really all that relevant. Sometimes the guy you bought intending to be your first team player is worse than your squad alternative, it happens. Sometimes the player who has had more high level experience turns out worse than the player who's had less experience, it happens. We've all seen both players play enough on the pitch to formulate a solid opinion on them purely on that, these other things is irrelevant.

Assuming Smith did scout Engels at Brentford(I'm not even sure this is true actually), how do we know the same isn't through for Hause? And regardless, appealing to this is weird because you're essentially appealing to the manager's decision making here. Like, you're saying Smith scouted Engels for some time, so he must be the better player since Smith would know, ignoring the fact that its Smith himself who's choosing not to play Engels in favour of Hause.

Now, your claims on their play is okay, but clearly its quite a matter of opinion that not everyone agrees with. For example, I think Engels has been pretty shaky at times despite his strong start with Mings, certainly shaky enough for me not to think he is an obvious improvement over Hause.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I don't think most of what you said regarding wanting Engels over Hause is really all that relevant. Sometimes the guy you bought intending to be your first team player is worse than your squad alternative, it happens. Sometimes the player who has had more high level experience turns out worse than the player who's had less experience, it happens. We've all seen both players play enough on the pitch to formulate a solid opinion on them purely on that, these other things is irrelevant.

Assuming Smith did scout Engels at Brentford(I'm not even sure this is true actually), how do we know the same isn't through for Hause? And regardless, appealing to this is weird because you're essentially appealing to the manager's decision making here. Like, you're saying Smith scouted Engels for some time, so he must be the better player since Smith would know, ignoring the fact that its Smith himself who's choosing not to play Engels in favour of Hause.

Now, your claims on their play is okay, but clearly its quite a matter of opinion that not everyone agrees with. For example, I think Engels has been pretty shaky at times despite his strong start with Mings, certainly shaky enough for me not to think he is an obvious improvement over Hause.

The bolded bit. That’s the point I’m making. A poster talks about their play, and why they think they’d be better playing, and some of the responses on here are just pathetic. All this nonsense about how a player gets better when benched, and all these snide remarks about ‘fans knowing better’ etc etc. That why I posted the part you quoted, which I admit is not related to the current footballing ability, but I’m using it to show the context of why it’s not laughable or worthy of snide remarks, when the player in question is still a valid member of the squad. By some of the remarks in here, you’d think we were in the James Bree thread, or one of the U23 players.

As much as I thought Engels looked like a solid player, I see the argument for keeping Hause on the left of a back 3. 
He gives me a heart attack every time he tries to play out from the back but he is quicker, stronger and better in the air than Engels albeit he doesn't read situations half as well. 

It's a toss up really. Problem is, Engels has disappeared so there is no debate to be had for now!

• Like 2

The fact that Chester is on the bunch doesn't have to mean there's a problem with Engels behind the scenes.

Easy to forget that Chester is a very decent CB when fit. Would not concern me one bit if Chester had to step in if we got some more injuries.

15 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

some of the responses on here are just pathetic.

Respectfully, you said...

"You can’t say anything on here can you? Long gone are the days when VT was a good alternative to the usual social media channels. Now it seems just as bad"

Edited by Kiwivillan

14 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Respectfully, you said...

"You can’t say anything on here can you? Long gone are the days when VT was a good alternative to the usual social media channels. Now it seems just as bad"

Yeah? And? I said it after all of the daft posts, such as “it’s amazing how good a player gets after they’ve been benched” and the like.

6 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

What a load of rubbish. 

Is it? I'm not arguing Engels is better than Hause, or the other way around. But there are scientific studies showing what I wrote is often the case. I'm not saying you didn't always feel this say, nor am I saying Rob didn't, but recency bias is a very real thing. For many, Hause will be worse than Engels because they've seen him play recently and seen his shortcomings, while Engels hasn't had an opportunity to showcase his weaknesses as of late. Had Engels played on Tuesday and showed his deficiencies, people would be in this same thread saying Hause should have been playing.

Not saying you're one of them, nor am I saying this relates only to Engels and Hause. It's anybody, and any player. It's just how our brains work.

Edited by VillaHatesMe

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

It quite reminds me a lot of social media, actually. You stated your opinion, and I replied with a comment of my own, which you didn't agree with and then went on this little rant as if I'm ruining your experience here because I might think differently than you do. It's perfectly ok to think Engels is better than Hause! I agree with you! I was just making a general comment about how much better players seem in the minds of many when they haven't had a chance to see their shortcomings lately.

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

The fact that Chester is on the bunch doesn't have to mean there's a problem with Engels behind the scenes.

Easy to forget that Chester is a very decent CB when fit. Would not concern me one bit if Chester had to step in if we got some more injuries.

And also club captain, he’s probably good to have in the match day squad just for his experience and leadership. He was never a shouter but looks like he’d be the type to have a quiet word with someone and guide them through. 

I don't think Engels has had a terrible start. In fact looked quite solid with Mings at the start of the season. One thing that does stand out is his distinct lack of pace. This was very evident when he couldn't recover after his loose ball that led to the Southampton goal. 

He will be back in eventually and prove to be a decent player, but right now we seem to be doing OK so no need to change. 

Â