Björn Engels

Delphinho123

On 26/01/2020 at 10:47, sidcow said:

Stranger things have happened. 

DZXcnuYWAAAFYRH.jpg

Absolute beast with the speed and turning circle of a supertanker.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Started off well and then his form slipped away.

you have to pick players you can rely on.....Dean obviously doesn't think he can.

If he doesnt get into the squad now Chester has gone and taylor comes back in then I would say there are huge issues as hause and target and mings can play left back.

Just now, brummybloke said:

If he doesnt get into the squad now Chester has gone and taylor comes back in then I would say there are huge issues as hause and target and mings can play left back.

From what i saw from his last few games.....I would suggest, there are issues.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, brummybloke said:

It’s much more mundane than that. Engels’s snail pace kept getting exposed by quick strikers, and he wasn’t that good in the air.

For all his excellent reading of the play and confidence on the ball, he isn’t naturally gifted at the athletic side of defending - chasing runners, out jumping someone on a set piece, out muscling a target man, bodying someone in a tackle, etc.

Great player to watch, but Hause and Konsa are just much more athletically gifted. Engels has been dropped on ability not attitude. No fall out with Smith. Fake news.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

It’s much more mundane than that. Engels’s snail pace kept getting exposed by quick strikers, and he wasn’t that good in the air.

For all his excellent reading of the play and confidence on the ball, he isn’t naturally gifted at the athletic side of defending - chasing runners, out jumping someone on a set piece, out muscling a target man, bodying someone in a tackle, etc.

Great player to watch, but Hause and Konsa are just much more athletically gifted. Engels has been dropped on ability not attitude. No fall out with Smith. Fake news.

A fall out doesnt sound right unless it's with coaches like terry. He is a more reactive than proactive player. But I think if taylor is picked for subs bench ahead of engels, it will signal the start of the end for engels at villa

4 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Hopefully he comes back into the fold. At the very least in the squad hopefully. With Chester gone and our record of injuries he could be important.

Well yeah, unless I am missing someone its either Engels or Revan on the bench today??? (Will be shocked if it's not Engels)

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Well yeah, unless I am missing someone its either Engels or Revan on the bench today??? (Will be shocked if it's not Engels)

It's possible that the only two defenders on the bench could be Taylor and Elmo . . . I don't think that's likely personally, but that would probably be the bench if Engels isn't on it.

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's possible that the only two defenders on the bench could be Taylor and Elmo . . . I don't think that's likely personally, but that would probably be the bench if Engels isn't on it.

Which shows why we shouldn't have really let chester leave. 

Elmo and taylor on the bench, 20 mins in Mings starts feeling his hamstring in a vital game. 

It's an unnecessary risk to take. 

Edited by DCJonah

40 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Playing three at the back and only having one centre half on reserve strikes me as pretty damn stupid to be honest.

Yeah - I can see where Luiz or Guilbert etc could cover in the wide positions of the back three but I definitely agree we should have 5 CBs if we are playing with three. Easy to have two injuries or suspensions.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Playing three at the back and only having one centre half on reserve strikes me as pretty damn stupid to be honest.

One thing in defence of the club is that neither Konsa or Hause have any history of picking up injuries (hopefully this doesn't jinx them).

I'd also presume that Revan and maybe Mungo Bridge might be training with the seniors now and might be impressing. It is easier for young centre halves to come into a back 3 than a back 4 too.

Â