Björn Engels

Delphinho123

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

All he had to do was to control a long ball going towards him. He was under no pressure. He could head it, volley it, take it down, body it. He could do pretty much ANYTHING, yet what he decides to do is to let the ball bounce under him. Just absolute dog shit defending. Nothing to do with anything, but shit football from Engels. 

It's a mistake, that's all.  The timing is horrific, but these things happen.

• Like 3

He isn't good enough for a Premier League side, and he showed that throughout the match, not just in the error. He's not alone - Hause is way short of the level required as well. Konsa isn't great, but I can see progress with him, and he has better athleticism. But yeah, Engels and Hause can't be starting matches at this level next season.

This is definitely something to criticise Smith with. Why play 3 centre backs for a number of games with Chester on the bench but then let him go and rely on his understudy to come in to the team? That does not make sense at all! 

Today, Engels' pack of pace was clear for all to see. Ray Charles could have seen that! 

Just now, Hobbit Feet said:

Extremely harsh comments on here as always, yes a mistake

And the rest.

No offence to the guy (and I've not seen anything particularly harsh), he might be a nice bloke, but he's not a PL centre back. Nowhere near. 

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He isn't good enough for a Premier League side, and he showed that throughout the match, not just in the error. He's not alone - Hause is way short of the level required as well. Konsa isn't great, but I can see progress with him, and he has better athleticism. But yeah, Engels and Hause can't be starting matches at this level next season.

Konsa was far worse than Engels today - spent most of it just ball watching.  I like him, though, and think he'll become a good defender.

They're in the team because they're (generally) decent with the ball at their feet and allow us to build from the back, which is a clear strategy that we have.  They'll have mistakes in them - they're low level Premier League footballers rather than being in a potential top 4 side.

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

And the rest.

No offence to the guy (and I've not seen anything particularly harsh), he might be a nice bloke, but he's not a PL centre back. Nowhere near. 

He was good today - 93rd minute mistake aside.  I don't remember much that he did wrong - 93rd minute mistake aside.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I admire your optimism if you think this will be in any way relevant to us.

Being rational about this, I thought it was 50-50 before today's game, and I still think it's 50-50. West Ham's game in hand is away at Man City; I hope we will still be outside the bottom three when we play our next match.

Just now, bobzy said:

He was good today - 93rd minute mistake aside.  I don't remember much that he did wrong - 93rd minute mistake aside.

The penalty was a mistake, it was poor judgment to go in for that.

He whiffed a header for a good chance at the other end (just before El Ghazi got hit in the face)

He completely mistimed the bounce of a ball and let them through one on one earlier in the second half but fortunately Reina saved his blushes.

Â