Björn Engels

Delphinho123

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

That to me is just nonsense.

Either he is lying and something has happened, or deano doesn't know how to pick the best players.....

We've got 4 points from 2 crucial games.

Engels, while a good defender, doesn't deserve to be starting atm.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm sure he knows a damn sight more than you or I about his best players. Never understand why fans are so presumptuous. It's a straight shot between him and Chester for the bench, so he picks Chester. Just like how earlier in the season Lansbury was making the bench ahead of Nakamba and how Elmo wasn't even making the bench some days. With his substitutions winning us 4 points over the last 2 games I think it's fair to say he has a good grasp on how to pick a bench.

What has the fact deano does or doesn't  know more than either of us about player selection got to do with anything?

Last I checked this was a message board for opinions?

If every comment anyone makes is answered by "deano knows more than you", this wouldnt be much of a chat forum.

Just now, MaVilla said:

What has the fact deano does or doesn't  know more than either of us about player selection got to do with anything?

Last I checked this was a message board for opinions?

If every comment anyone makes is answered by "deano knows more than you", this wouldnt be much of a chat forum.

Well you're the one claiming he doesn't know how to pick his best players which implies you would know better. Otherwise how would you know?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's true.

"I'd have picked a different team", or I'd have picked player A instead of player B and here's why...." is kind of a good talking point for a message-board.

whereas "Either he is lying and something has happened, or deano doesn't know how to pick the best players" is kind of (without evidence or back up) accusing him of being either a liar or incompetent with no basis, which is going to lead not to discussion, but to argument.

It's my opinion.

If you want to see that as leading to arguement that's up to you, that's your choice and your opinion.

Do opinions have to meet specific PC criteria these days to be allowed as an opinion?

Dont answer that, let's just leave it there just in case an opinion cause a riot.

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Well you're the one claiming he doesn't know how to pick his best players which implies you would know better. Otherwise how would you know?

Maybe neither of us do???, who knows.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

There is no story here.

Engels can’t play “outside centre back” because he’s too slow, and Smith prefers to have Mings central.

He got dropped because of an injury.

Why all the drama?

Yep. Ming's is the best center back at the club so had to go in the middle, and the system requires 2 quick players outside of him. 

I like Engels, in a 2 I'd probably choose him over Konsa and certainly Hause, but he doesn't really fit in a 3. 

Nothing to see here imo. 

Edited by av1

16 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

It's my opinion.

If you want to see that as leading to arguement that's up to you, that's your choice and your opinion.

Do opinions have to meet specific PC criteria these days to be allowed as an opinion?

Dont answer that, let's just leave it there just in case an opinion cause a riot.

Bloody opinions, they should be outlawed. 

19 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

It's my opinion.

Nobody is deleting your opinions. They’re literally replying with their own opinions... classic desiples vs ekspurts debate 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

Yep. Ming's is the best center back at the club so had to go in the middle, and the system requires 2 quick players outside of him. 

I like Engels, in a 2 I'd probably choose him over Konsa and certainly Hause, but he doesn't really fit in a 3. 

Nothing to see here imo. 

Mimgs needs to get them shorts a bit more dirty. I get that he's integral to the team, but he is far too casual at times. Someone once opined that he had McGrath type qualities, not for me, don't confuse being casual with being smooth, Paul was a Rolls Royce, who had one bad game in fifty. Mings has, at least, one in four. There is plenty of room for improvement and I hope he's smart enough to realise that. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Mimgs needs to get them shorts a bit more dirty. I get that he's integral to the team, but he is far too casual at times. Someone once opined that he had McGrath type qualities, not for me, don't confuse being casual with being smooth, Paul was a Rolls Royce, who had one bad game in fifty. Mings has, at least, one in four. There is plenty of room for improvement and I hope he's smart enough to realise that. 

Mings has all of ~20 appearances as a top flight CB. Seems a harsh standard you are holding him to. 

7 hours ago, Elton said:

I disagree. We were incredibly poor aerially from crosses and set pieces when Engels was in the team. This has been massively improved by Hause coming into the side.

Indeed it has. Engels looked like more of a footballer, but having a CB who is - almost - dominant in the air is still a fantastic asset. 

I like Hause, he defends ok, and he wins headers.

Someone should tell him he isn’t Glen Hoddle though and that we have 10 other players who can pass the ball better 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thunderball said:

Not that I am ITK but I have heard the same, something about him complaining 3 at the back doesn't suit him. I don't know if this was on a podcast or on a forum.

It makes sense to me, 3 at the back doesn't suit him and then it's logic if he says so, doesn't have to be anymore drama than that.

It could perhaps work with him as the central CB and Mings getting the CLB position, but as I would like our RCB and LCB to go forward more it would require that the CB can cover that space and needs to be quick, which Engels isn't.

It's a pitty really, I like him, he is good at reading the game, good in the air, good passer, but we need to play with a low line for him not to get exposed. I just can't really see where he fits in long term 😞 

I’m sure Smith is of a different opinion, but I’d prefer to swap the natural left footed Hause for the (imo) better defender and better passer in Engels.

It would mean we’d have a right-footer either side of Mings, but I don’t care. I think Engels is streets ahead of Hause.

Or you could play Engels in the central role with Mings on his left? 

Personally i'm indifferent with the 3 situation but I do think Engels and Mings have been our best partnership at the back. Engels is more composed than Hause and Konsa under pressure imo. 

Â