Björn Engels

Delphinho123

Absolute comedy defending from the whole team today, but Engels was probably the worst culprit. When you have such a lack of pace you need to have a far better positional sense - how he can be stood 5 yards inside spurs half for the penalty incident one of many examples.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Konsa was far worse than Engels today - spent most of it just ball watching.  I like him, though, and think he'll become a good defender.

They're in the team because they're (generally) decent with the ball at their feet and allow us to build from the back, which is a clear strategy that we have.  They'll have mistakes in them - they're low level Premier League footballers rather than being in a potential top 4 side.

I don't really think they are to be honest. I think of a good CB for a bottom-half side as someone like Vlaar was when fit, and not a one of them (apart from Mings) is close to that level.

No side in the bottom half concedes as many shots as we do, despite us playing an extra CB. They're bad for the level.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The penalty was a mistake, it was poor judgment to go in for that.

He whiffed a header for a good chance at the other end (just before El Ghazi got hit in the face)

He completely mistimed the bounce of a ball and let them through one on one earlier in the second half but fortunately Reina saved his blushes.

Lost track of his mark so many times throughout the game and just doesn't have the pace to make up for his mental lapses. There could be a Premier League player in there somewhere, but it just hasn't made itself evident yet. There's a reason we went to three at the back. He's the reason.

3 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Lost track of his mark so many times throughout the game and just doesn't have the pace to make up for his mental lapses. There could be a Premier League player in there somewhere, but it just hasn't made itself evident yet. There's a reason we went to three at the back. He's the reason.

I thought so at first, but not anymore. He has proven time and time again he does not have the concentration or decision making for this level. 

Then we got Hause who just lacks the overall ability and Konsa who's learning as he goes. 

Between them a complete **** of a defence. 

• Like 1

Bjorn was completely in pieces after the mistake. I felt sorry for him.

However, he was a train wreck all game, and that wasn't just one mistake or bad luck. It was a continuation of his horrible showing today. Icing on the cake. 

• Like 2

I like him but catastrophic error. Why he was attempting to control it rather than just putting his foot through the ball is beyond me.

Thought he was unlucky for the penalty but again Mings is simply too big a miss in these situations for the defensive organization.

I think that performance puts the conspiracy theories to bed why he was behind Hause and Konsa in the pecking order.

He isn’t PL quality unfortunately. Every defender will make the odd last ditch tackle but Engels problem is every tackle is last ditch as he isn’t fast enough to track the runner or strong enough to hold them off. You can’t rely on getting your big toe to the ball a fraction of a second before the striker every time. He was always  a penalty or a sending off waiting to happen. I feel sorry for him for that late error but that was under 8 level stuff and we can’t afford to have him in the team.

• Thanks 3

44 minutes ago, poitier said:

Absolute comedy defending from the whole team today, but Engels was probably the worst culprit. When you have such a lack of pace you need to have a far better positional sense - how he can be stood 5 yards inside spurs half for the penalty incident one of many examples.

Absolutely spot on. But, the big question is, whose decision was it to allow our 4th best defender leaver? If Smith's, what the hell was he thinking? 

51 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He was good today - 93rd minute mistake aside.  I don't remember much that he did wrong - 93rd minute mistake aside.

The penalty. 

The soft tackle against son that led to a good chance. 

And he always looked slow all game

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He was good today - 93rd minute mistake aside.  I don't remember much that he did wrong - 93rd minute mistake aside.

I think we are vey much in the minority, but this is my view too.

I thought he looked back to being somewhere near the Engels from the start of the season and had a pretty decent game overall. 

Gutted for him at the end, he looked a broken man. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I think we are vey much in the minority, but this is my view too.

I thought he looked back to being somewhere near the Engels from the start of the season and had a pretty decent game overall. 

Gutted for him at the end, he looked a broken man. 

He gifted them 2 goals, that’s a shocking performance in anyone’s books surely?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elton said:

He gifted them 2 goals, that’s a shocking performance in anyone’s books surely?

I did say I was very much in the minority and I don’t think the penalty was a ‘gift’. 

I thought he was decent in both boxes and was generally solid defensively. 

The howler at the end made his overall performance look worse than it was IMO, but that’s the way it goes.  

I’d keep him in the middle and bring Mings back in for Hause TBH. 

55 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Why didn't he just put his foot through the ball and secure the point?

He will still be asking himself that at 4am in the morning don't worry.

I suppose if the rumours are true that he was mouthing about being out of the team at xmas this is the sort of game that will be a reality check.

I'm not going to hammer him too much as I do like aspects of his game. Ultimately our defence just looks a mess whenever Mings isn't around, really costly not getting in another experienced top level CB in either window who can settle down the others playing when we get under the cosh and get our lines right out there.

Trying to play the offside trap was a completely disaster today, Spurs must've got beyond the 3 on about 7 occasions today. I can't believe it would've been that bad if Mings was shouting when to push up or tuck in, that's what you lose when he isn't out there.

3 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I did say I was very much in the minority and I don’t think the penalty was a ‘gift’. 

I thought he was decent in both boxes and was generally solid defensively. 

The howler at the end made his overall performance look worse than it was IMO, but that’s the way it goes.  

I’d keep him in the middle and bring Mings back in for Hause TBH. 

It was a penalty all day. Total gift. Surprised referee didn’t give it.

Hause is so much better than Engels. I really don’t understand why so many fans don’t rate being able to win headers, speed, strength as absolute key attributes of a defender over the odd lapse pass.

Luckily Smith and Terry know what is needed to be a centre half, which is why Engels is 4th choice right now.

Â