Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

23 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

After two seasons of real progress he had a dip last season but I am looking forward to him hopefully regaining the form of 2020/21 and kicking on again. He is still only 24.

Absolutely. It was just a dip imo, overall he was hardly terrible last season. Regain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Im delighted he is back. I really think we have 4 really good cbs. Its really good to see

Even as 5th choice now Hause can have really solid games against direct teams with endless crosses to head away.

Does seem strange we extended his deal as he's hardly going to play this season as if Mings is out we'll just shift Diego to the left and pair him with Kons/Chambers.

Would imagine Hause will go on August 31st, perhaps on loan with view to permanent in January. 

It's a very strong set of CBs, better than some top 7 combinations imo but let's hope they can stay fit.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does him starting today suggest that Gerrard sees him as the first candidate to partner Carlos?

I'm unconvinced by him, he's one of a few who seemed to play much better in empty stadiums.

Based on last season he would probably be 4th choice for me, not only due to his drop on performances, but because of how limited he is on the ball.

• Like 1

Not sure what others think, but I wouldn't be opposed to shifting him on instead of Hause. To me, he's easily the 4th CB now, and I wouldn't be surprised if we were looking around the market next summer. Would it make sense to cash in on him and keep Hause (I know that Hause is limited, but he does something better than the rest of our CBs, heading). 

Now, I'm probably talking nonsense but just a thought

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Not sure what others think, but I wouldn't be opposed to shifting him on instead of Hause. To me, he's easily the 4th CB now, and I wouldn't be surprised if we were looking around the market next summer. Would it make sense to cash in on him and keep Hause (I know that Hause is limited, but he does something better than the rest of our CBs, heading). 

Now, I'm probably talking nonsense but just a thought

If the right offer comes I'd be ok with moving him on, he would still be my second choice at right back should anything happen to Cash, assuming that Guilbert is as good as gone, and not having seen virtually anything of Kayne other than highlight reels.

3 hours ago, est1874 said:

The amount of disrespect for Ezri on here lately, particularly in the Mings thread (quelle surprise), has been shocking. People have unbelievably short memories. I recall a lot of imperious performances from him before his dip in form where people were talking about England call-ups and incensed when he didn't get one. Fast forward a year and it's "Oh he was never as good as Mings, we can't expect him to step it up after his injury either, he's got to fourth choice" etc.

FWIW I don't think we've seen Ezri's ceiling yet, he is still very young for a centre-half and I think his dip in form and injury will stand to him, in terms of experience. I may be proven wrong, but expect he'll push on this season and claim/earn that first team spot alongside Carlos.

Great post ! Short memories is key here , he came on really well then he’s had an injury and dip in form and as you say young for a CB ( also versatile enough to play RB) , struggling to see how people are just righting him off !! 
and he called someone a pussyhole which is brilliant 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, est1874 said:

The amount of disrespect for Ezri on here lately, particularly in the Mings thread (quelle surprise), has been shocking. People have unbelievably short memories. I recall a lot of imperious performances from him before his dip in form where people were talking about England call-ups and incensed when he didn't get one. Fast forward a year and it's "Oh he was never as good as Mings, we can't expect him to step it up after his injury either, he's got to fourth choice" etc.

FWIW I don't think we've seen Ezri's ceiling yet, he is still very young for a centre-half and I think his dip in form and injury will stand to him, in terms of experience. I may be proven wrong, but expect he'll push on this season and claim/earn that first team spot alongside Carlos.

Couldn't agree more. I think once we can be sure of Ezri's fitness he'll be nailed on next to Carlos and I'm really looking forward to seeing the partnership.

Konsa's ball playing ability has regressed massively since joining Villa but funnily enough he was famed for his progressive play both for Brentford and England U-21s prior to joining us. In the Rennes game I felt I was starting to see Konsa become a bit more comfortable with his possession surrounded by Carlos and Kamara etc.

I think we can replicate the Carlos and Kounde partnership with Konsa - Ezri's progressive runs emulating Kounde's style is something I expect we're going to see a lot more of this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, est1874 said:

Rich coming from the guy who refuses to say one positive thing about Mings.

Regardless, as you also said, Konsa is still young and has a high ceiling. I still view him as the future of our club at CB unless we start buying big name players.

Â