Tom Heaton

midian

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

That's a bit crass. We can easily forget. If it's not for his performance at the Hawthorns in May we probably wouldn't be even have the conversations we are having about new players in this forum. Or away at Wednesday. I think "such an upgrade" is a bit demeaning. Steer is a quality keeper. 

I agree. Any news why he wasn’t in the squad today? I’m really hoping Heaton takes Steer under his wing and teaches him more and more and in a few years we will have a very decent keeper to take over from Heaton.. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

That's a bit crass. We can easily forget. If it's not for his performance at the Hawthorns in May we probably wouldn't be even have the conversations we are having about new players in this forum. Or away at Wednesday. I think "such an upgrade" is a bit demeaning. Steer is a quality keeper. 

It’s not crass. It’s the truth. 

Steer performed admirably for us. But he’s not a premier league keeper. 

Heaton is and he’s already showing it

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

I agree. Any news why he wasn’t in the squad today? I’m really hoping Heaton takes Steer under his wing and teaches him more and more and in a few years we will have a very decent keeper to take over from Heaton.. 

yeah Butland in 2 years when his contract runs out :P

16 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

It’s not crass at all. Heaton is a better shot stopper, better organiser of the defence, more vocal and has more command of his area. Ergo he is vastly superior, there is a reason that the management have gone out to get a keeper. 

Hats off to Steer, he helped get us here, but we can’t stand still we have to improve the team. Heaton has done that.

22 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I agree with this. We all know he is better than Steer. Don’t really see the need to point out the obvious in such a way when Steer didn’t really do much wrong for us. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree with this. We all know he is better than Steer. Don’t really see the need to point out the obvious in such a way when Steer didn’t really do much wrong for us. 

Exactly. Of course Heaton is better. Anyway, point made. UTV

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Probably getting loaned out again as he isn't good enough for the Premier League. It's not a coincidence that 4-5 consecutive managers have all overlooked him and Smith has attempted to replace him already.

I'll always appreciate Steer for that shoot-out performance, but it seems that - plus our run of wins - has overshadowed that he wasn't exactly brilliant in Championship. Certainly not bad, but decent at best imo. In fact, I think he was quite dodgy at times last season, but benefited from our massivel improved back four.

If we are offering him out on loan, I can't see many Championship sides rushing to sign him either, which you'd expect considering how some Villa fans speak about him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Probably getting loaned out again as he isn't good enough for the Premier League. It's not a coincidence that 4-5 consecutive managers have all overlooked him and Smith has attempted to replace him already.

I'll always appreciate Steer for that shoot-out performance, but it seems that - plus our run of wins - has overshadowed that he wasn't exactly brilliant in Championship. Certainly not bad, but decent at best imo. In fact, I think he was quite dodgy at times last season, but benefited from our massivel improved back four.

If we are offering him out on loan, I can't see many Championship sides rushing to sign him either, which you'd expect considering how some Villa fans speak about him.

We wont loan him, he just signed a new contract, if we wanted rid we could have just got rid.

He will be our number 2 I would guess.

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

We wont loan him, he just signed a new contract, if we wanted rid we could have just got rid.

He will be our number 2 I would guess.

Why would signing a new contract mean we won't loan him out? For me it just looks like a contract so we can try make a bit of money out of him next summer instead of letting him walk on a free, otherwise why would we be so desperately chasing a new keeper all summer?

Maybe he won't go on loan, but it's odd that one week before the season, both Kalinic and Nyland are on the bench ahead of him, especially when Nyland hasn't appeared all pre-season, and I don't think the new contract would make any odds other whether he is loaned out.

Steer was fantastic for us, but he was prone to small errors which he didn't get punished for in the Championship, in the PL he would. We needed Heaton and he'll pay the club back ten fold.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Eh?

what are you on about?

If we signed Messi would I not be able to point out how much better he is than el ghazi?

Steer’s feelings aren’t getting hurt. Heaton is a much better keeper and it was already obvious from today’s game. That’s all I’m saying. 

I don’t see what’s so bad about that? I’m not insulting Steer. 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Eh?

what are you on about?

If we signed Messi would I not be able to point out how much better he is than el ghazi?

Steer’s feelings aren’t getting hurt. Heaton is a much better keeper and it was already obvious from today’s game. That’s all I’m saying. 

In addition I believe Steer will improve by having a top top class keeper like Heaton around. If he doesn’t then point proven.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Eh?

what are you on about?

Well if your only post was to say: 

Messi is a massive upgrade on El Ghazi.

I’d probably say the same thing. Thanks for pointing out the obvious 👍🏼

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Well I don’t understand why we would hand him a new contract then? Although it seems like he’s been around a long time he’s relatively young still in terms of a GK. I think we have a lot to thank him for last season, it’s not unfair to say without him coming back in January we probably wouldn’t of gone up. Sometimes we have very short memories, people say that there isn’t any loyalty from players in football anymore but I’m seeing it more and more from the supporters too now. I believe with some coaching from Cutler and being understudy to Heaton will bring him on leaps and bounds. I’d much rather he stayed than the other two GK’s we have.

• Like 1

Â