Tom Heaton

midian

22 minutes ago, Thug said:

Heaton wasn’t first choice at Burnley...

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He was. The only games he missed was through injury. 

yeah, when he came back in to the Burnley team in Dec 2018, they were 18th, on his return to the 1st team he retained the captains armband, and was generally credited by Burnley fans as one of the main reasons their form improved.

Prior to his return they won 3 in 19 (W 3, D3, L13), when he returned they won 8 in 19 (W 8, D 4, L7).

Obviously that wont be all down to him, but Burnley fans definately credit Heaton with playing a large part in their form improving, and eventually finishing 15th and staying up.

Edited by MaVilla

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He was. The only games he missed was through injury. 

Hmmm, not quite true though is it?

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11708/11620152/tom-heaton-considered-leaving-burnley-in-january-transfer-window

Yes he got the number 1 shirt back, but for large parts he wasn’t considered first choice, even when fit.

I’m not arguing against the signing or his ability...

But let’s not re-write history.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well if your only post was to say: 

Messi is a massive upgrade on El Ghazi.

I’d probably say the same thing. Thanks for pointing out the obvious 👍🏼

I genuinely don’t understand what you’re on about

Ahhh the difference a confident and quality goalkeeper makes. I always maintain this is not a hard position to fill (unless you need a truly magical keeper like Ederson or Alison) yet most teams always seem to cock it up.  

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I though Pope was. Isn’t that the only reason they sold Heaton?

Pope and Heaton have both been first choice at times for Burnley. 

The point was more about ability. 

Steer isn’t good enough at the moment to be a first choice premier league goalkeeper. Heaton is. 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Pope and Heaton have both been first choice at times for Burnley. 

The point was more about ability. 

Steer isn’t good enough at the moment to be a first choice premier league goalkeeper. Heaton is. 

Yes Heaton looks a big upgrade on Steer ;)

You’re probably right about Steer. I really like him but he just isn’t commanding enough.  I think he could be an ok number 2 to have though.  

13 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

It’s not crass at all. Heaton is a better shot stopper, better organiser of the defence, more vocal and has more command of his area. Ergo he is vastly superior, there is a reason that the management have gone out to get a keeper. 

Hats off to Steer, he helped get us here, but we can’t stand still we have to improve the team. Heaton has done that.

"Such an" is demeaning. I think that was the problem.

Edit: sorry for answering before I read all the comments about this already. No need to start again.

Edited by AVTuco

Lots of touchy people in this thread. 

I love Steer for what he did last season. I already said he performed admirably for us. 

Stating how much better Heaton looks already, though, isn’t insulting or crass. It’s just true. 

• Like 2

I was firmly of the opinion that Steer should be given the shirt and that a keeper was not a priority. 

But I never realised how much we needed Heaton until yesterday. He just looks to get solid hands to everything.... great debut in not an easy game. Although I’m not sure where this leaves Jed.... I suspect even tho he has signed a contract he may end up on loan again, with a call back option. But Of course I’d love him to be back up.

The save he made from the header in the second half was absolutely world class, diving to his right having been moving to his left and getting a strong enough hand on it to turn it round the post from the middle of the goal.

That alone demonstrated what a good keeper we’ve purchased.

• Like 2

Â