Tom Heaton

midian

12 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

You can clearly see the difference between Heaton and Steer.

Not knocking Steer as he was brilliant last season, but Heaton is a fantastic shot stopper as well as being commanding in the area.

I know it was a friendly, but you hear Heaton screaming instructions at his defence as well, Steer doesn’t do that. 

Shows the difference between a decent keeper and a good one. 

Think he’ll be our best signing this summer 

• Like 2

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

Think he’ll be our best signing this summer 

Agreed. Aswel as his obvious quality on the pitch, his leadership skills will also be invaluable off it. 

£8m is an absolute steal. 

Wasnt convinced earlier in the transfer window which I said on this forum but did more research and began to like him.  Incredibly impressed with him today, will be a steal if he keeps this up.  Not only his saves, but his kicking and command of the box was mightily impressive today.

I'll admit that Butland was my preferred choice, based mainly on the age difference, but I was still delighted we got Heaton. 

1 hour ago, av1 said:

I'll admit that Butland was my preferred choice, based mainly on the age difference, but I was still delighted we got Heaton. 

Butland made a terrible error for Stoke today apparently, raced out of his box and couldn't clear.

What I like about Heaton is he's not just a shot stopper, he can organise a back 4 well and we need that with all the new players.

Simply don't see Butland being any good at that as Stoke have shipped loads of goals over last two years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Butland made a terrible error for Stoke today apparently, raced out of his box and couldn't clear.

What I like about Heaton is he's not just a shot stopper, he can organise a back 4 well and we need that with all the new players.

Simply don't see Butland being any good at that as Stoke have shipped loads of goals over last two years.

Fair points Chris, and to reiterate, I'm absolutely delighted with Heaton, i guess i just saw Butland as someone that could have maybe been our number 1 for 7/8yrs as opposed to Heaton who may hold that post for 3 or 4. 

The other clear advantage of Heaton (to add to your point above) is his leadership qualities off the pitch, he was apparently a huge figure behind the scenes at turf moor, and you can never have too many of those sort of Characters. 

All in all i think this will prove to be the best bit of business we conduct all summer, i know it's a cliché but top quality keepers really are worth 8/10 points per season, and in Heaton we certainly have a top quality keeper. 

After a dodgy moment near the start, made a couple of super saves today. Even sweeter that Sam Johnstone has let in a very soft goal from 25 yards for Albion

We've got a very young squad overall. I think his signing makes far more sense than Butland over the next 2 or 3 years. We need his experience and of course his ability. I think him with the 2 CBs today were great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Butland makes too many errors. Great business not bringing him here, he really is finished similar to Hart

I think Heaton is/will be one of our best buys this season, he looked class.

I dont mean specifically the saves either, i mean the saves were amazing, but also he just looks so assured, he was always talking to the back 4, came for balls that he needed to, commanded his area, managed to hang on to a couple of shots that others might have parried away, he just looked overall class, i really like him.

I will wipe from my memory the moment he ran out of his box and it nearly ended badly, everyone is entitled to first game minor errors :P

One of my faves already, add to that how good he is supposed to be within the team / dressing room etc in terms of professionalism/being a top bloke, i think we have a real gem in Heaton, love him, exactly the GK we need behind our defence.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Such an upgrade on Steer

That's a bit crass. We can easily forget. If it's not for his performance at the Hawthorns in May we probably wouldn't be even have the conversations we are having about new players in this forum. Or away at Wednesday. I think "such an upgrade" is a bit demeaning. Steer is a quality keeper. 

• Like 2

Â