Fixing Villa Park - All the small things

OutByEaster?

One of the things that was mentioned by the club at the recent supporters group meeting was Villa Park.

The club are currently doing lots of small building jobs to bring the club into line with Premier League regulation and to improve on some areas which were identified as needing a tidy up. Mr Purslow bemoaned the speed with which things become "normalised". He recalled his first week or two when he was looking with fresh eyes and noticed everything and talked of how familiarity means it becomes more and more difficult to notice the little things that need to be changed.

Which is where the club would like a hand - those little things - the wrong badge, a poor finish on a counter, a badly painted beam, dirty brickwork, poor signage - everything from the gates to the toilet roll holders - anything and everything you see at Villa Park that you think could be improved without having to knock down and rebuild a stand.

The club would be grateful if we can point those things out, so that they can look at making as many improvements as possible - quick wins that make Villa Park that little bit more presentable.

So, what would you fix, improve or change?

• Like 4

I keep looking for a clock at the far side of the Trinity (North Stand side) but find plastic sheets, either someone stole it or it was in the old stand

I think I mentioned it in either the VP redevelopment thread or the history thread, while I do like the mosaic on the Holte, it would be better if it was the more aggressive lion that currently adorns the badge. Not sure how easy it would be to rectify.

One thing I always look at and think could be so much better - in the one Holte concourse (and I assume elsewhere in the ground), by the food stands etc, they have old squad pictures of teams gone by - from memory mainly teams from the late 19th/early 20th century.

It’s a nice touch, but they have several of them stuck on the beams about 5ft above mine or anyone else’s head, as such you can’t really see them properly, it’s not immediately clear what season they’re from etc. I think there’s one of George Ramsey and his dog which has been positioned at eye level. There’s a bit of text accompanying the picture too I think. It all looks like an afterthought to be honest. I don’t want to be standing in the middle of the concourse, in the way of everyone else trying to see if I can spot Archie Hunter or John Devey.

Position them so they can be properly seen, ideally with the names of the players featured, what season it was etc. Include a bit of text about that team, what it may have won that year, which player went on to do what etc.

And it doesn’t have to be just squad photos, have individual ones about the likes of Charlie Aitken or Frederick Rinder etc.

7 hours ago, Kingman said:

I prefer ye olde round badge to the current and would love the idea of a boxpark type match day fan experience. 

They obviously mean for people to point out where a previous badge is still showing at VP somewhere. Let’s not start the round badge conversation for the 50th time. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Perhaps most external areas around each stand could do with a jet wash?  The North Stand obviously, but brickwork and other parts would benefit from this I'm sure?

I never understand why part of the Holte roof looks like clear plastic and the rest grey or silver?  When looking at the Holte from inside the ground, this area is on the left?  Could be reason for this, but it looks odd and untidy to me.  Perhaps an image can be uploaded to show what I mean.  

Love the idea of an old fashioned style clock indide the ground.   Perhaps on the Holte roof?  I know this is a bit Highbury/Emirates, but would be a lovely touch.  

A small thing but does annoy me is the paper towels in Lower Holte toilets, and i would assume others. 1) there are not enough dispensers so they run out but mainly 2) there are not enough bins so they just overflow with piles of paper towels on the floor. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

So much history of the ground and therefore the club has been lost over the years largely during the Ellis era that I would like us to look to the future but with a mind to the past. I appreciate that is dangerously close to that horrible marketing phrase of the Lerner era but forgive me that a moment.

Id love to see them put up mini AVFC floodlights in the four corners of the land surrounding Villa Park.

I’d love to see them make the Trinity Road gates the entrance for opposition teams and Villa players. With a drive way down to the current car park preferably lined with a few statues of genuine club legends with space for future legends to earn their place.

I’d like to see the stand opposite Trinity Road given a name of someone who actually earned it.

I’d like to see the ground lit up at night for those entering or leaving the city to remind everyone who it belongs to.

With you on most of those ideas Trent, suggested similar in the VP redevelopment thread.  👍

• Like 1

I could add a few things, small changes that would make a big difference on a match day for fans.

• The main issue I have with my phone at Villa Park is that I can't get the team lineup up before kickoff as I have no signal, other than that I wouldn't be bothered at all. Is there anyway they can get the team lineups displayed on the big TV outside the Holte End and on the screens inside the concourses?
  • Wipe down the TV's in the concourses, covered in beer stains.
  • Fix the clocks in the Holte End concourses, none of them run accurately.
  • Card machines on the bars in the Holte Pub and Holte Suite, would make payments quicker, service quicker and make the club more cash.
  • Bars outside the ground in the Holte & North Stand car parks? Pop up bars like many clubs have, would create an atmosphere before kickoff.

I'm sure I'll think of a few more this week.

Edited by wilko154
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

I never understand why part of the Holte roof looks like clear plastic and the rest grey or silver?  When looking at the Holte from inside the ground, this area is on the left?  Could be reason for this, but it looks odd and untidy to me.  Perhaps an image can be uploaded to show what I mean.  

B75VVGLCMAIH2zc.jpg

I think it was a design feature that was prominent in many stadiums roofs that had upgrade or redevelopment work done to their stadiums. I am sure the design is to allow light in?

Over time though if not maintained they stain and become manky and filthy and outdated (Bit like the sheets of manky side supports that you see on the sides of the stands at Goodison Park).

On the picture above, that shows a mock up of a new north stand, If/when it's renovated and complete I would also change the roof of the Holte to match that of Trinity and new north stand.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

Pop up bars/fan area outside Holte End. If we are going to extend the car park space outside north stand, let's get rid of parking outside Holte and make a proper fan zone.

It's not a big deal, and would bring big revenue to the club.

I would love to drink a beer while looking at the HolteEnd and sing with thousands of other fans pre game.

I don't know what the council might say about it, but surely it wouldn't be that difficult to sort out. Maybe connect it to a new Aston villa beer partnership to bring some further money in?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I think I mentioned it in either the VP redevelopment thread or the history thread, while I do like the mosaic on the Holte, it would be better if it was the more aggressive lion that currently adorns the badge. Not sure how easy it would be to rectify.

One thing I always look at and think could be so much better - in the one Holte concourse (and I assume elsewhere in the ground), by the food stands etc, they have old squad pictures of teams gone by - from memory mainly teams from the late 19th/early 20th century.

It’s a nice touch, but they have several of them stuck on the beams about 5ft above mine or anyone else’s head, as such you can’t really see them properly, it’s not immediately clear what season they’re from etc. I think there’s one of George Ramsey and his dog which has been positioned at eye level. There’s a bit of text accompanying the picture too I think. It all looks like an afterthought to be honest. I don’t want to be standing in the middle of the concourse, in the way of everyone else trying to see if I can spot Archie Hunter or John Devey.

Position them so they can be properly seen, ideally with the names of the players featured, what season it was etc. Include a bit of text about that team, what it may have won that year, which player went on to do what etc.

And it doesn’t have to be just squad photos, have individual ones about the likes of Charlie Aitken or Frederick Rinder etc.

Charlie Aitken....yes please. True Villa legend!

12 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

B75VVGLCMAIH2zc.jpg

I think it was a design feature that was prominent in many stadiums roofs that had upgrade or redevelopment work done to their stadiums. I am sure the design is to allow light in?

Over time though if not maintained they stain and become manky and filthy and outdated (Bit like the sheets of manky side supports that you see on the sides of the stands at Goodison Park).

On the picture above, that shows a mock up of a new north stand, If/when it's renovated and complete I would also change the roof of the Holte to match that of Trinity and new north stand.

Thanks for this and yes, the answer could be a light issue.  However, i may not have explained my issue very well.  On the image below, you can see that’s it’s the far left part of the roof that is a different colour/material and from inside the ground looking at it, I think it’s untidy.   As you say, could be a light issue though, but don’t see many other grounds doing this? 

9BD6B40E-7812-48E9-A42E-E99E6B565839.jpeg.8e12908b01167a7836a7c41b44a883dd.jpeg

15 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Thanks for this and yes, the answer could be a light issue.  However, i may not have explained my issue very well.  On the image below, you can see that’s it’s the far left part of the roof that is a different colour/material and from inside the ground looking at it, I think it’s untidy.   As you say, could be a light issue though, but don’t see many other grounds doing this? 

9BD6B40E-7812-48E9-A42E-E99E6B565839.jpeg.8e12908b01167a7836a7c41b44a883dd.jpeg

Oooh, I know the part you mean.

Sorry I thought you meant the actual roof.

The part you mention I realise now is where the big main support runs and sticks out on the roof, It has that grey hard protective stuff over it like the rest of the roof, however, the part you correctly mentioned to the left is of a manky clear material.

Maybe they ran out of the stuff they used on the rest of the roof and finished it with some excess plastic they used on the roof to allow light.

I agree, it does look odd.

• Like 1

Tap water. When washing hands in upper Holte, the hot tap water either comes out scolding or freezing, there is no happy medium. 

Far right hand entrance of upper holte (as you look at it k6/7 area. As you go up the stairs inside, pint is peeling off the wall. 

Can only assume they've fixed the tannoy system as no one has mentioned it yet

@Mic09 is on the money with the holte end car park, looks easy to do too with it already walled off, stick some food / drink vendors in there, music, some stewards, those burger vans that park up under the overpass and make a few thousand off villa fans but contribute £0 to the club, get them putting something back in, maybe even try and get some interest out of digbeth dining club, some fans will moan about paying over £5 for food but the quality increase compared to the shit we already have will be worth it, my match day experience was pub around the corner, in the ground, game, out the ground, I put additional money in the clubs pockets

they need pop up sellers on the concourse too, even if it's just bottle sellers

toilets definitely need a refurb but then every year you can guarantee we will trash them again, it's a case of we don't deserve nice things, but at least sort the water out and the bins 

Â