Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

He did have a reputation for being a fiery character when we signed him, I rememer going on a Brugge forum and them talking about it.

Rigaux talks with a lot of fondness about Wesley, praising him in particular for the way that he was always receptive to the club’s advice, yet there were also moments when Brugge had to get “tough” with their young striker. Callow, desperate to prove himself and a little impetuous, Wesley became an easy target for defenders who saw a weakness in his temperament.

“You see the beginning of his period in Brugge, he had some red cards for non-mature behaviour. Then I was very hard with him,” Rigaux says.

“First of all you show a kind of comprehension to his behaviour because you know that he gets a lot of kicks, but you need to explain very clearly that it’s absolutely not the way, because they knew that he reacted when they provoked him. We said to him: ‘Be smarter with your body language, try to change it. If you show to a defender that you get irritated, he will only do it more. When they kick you, take three seconds to think and not react.’ And, of course, it happened a few times that he fell in the trap again.”

The Guardian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, slowandlow said:

I didn't see anything in him from his half a season pre injury tbh

Being out for 18 months likely to set him back even further

Gonna take a big hit here

I hope his fee is not clouding judgement. It is a sunk cost. Currently, Davis is ahead of him in the squad for me. 

As @Xela says, loan would be best option for him to actually get the games he needs.

To be fair, if Powell said something derogatory to him,  insulted him as a player, or ridiculed him for his injury that he's spent over a year coming back from, I cant blame him for trying to head butt him. 

Until I hear what Wes has to say about what Powell was doing I'll withold judgement.

If it was just about powells cheeky wind up play, then he needs moving on. 

Just now, useless said:

He did have a reputation for being a fiery character when we signed him, I rememer going on a Brugge forum and them talking about it.

Rigaux talks with a lot of fondness about Wesley, praising him in particular for the way that he was always receptive to the club’s advice, yet there were also moments when Brugge had to get “tough” with their young striker. Callow, desperate to prove himself and a little impetuous, Wesley became an easy target for defenders who saw a weakness in his temperament.

“You see the beginning of his period in Brugge, he had some red cards for non-mature behaviour. Then I was very hard with him,” Rigaux says.

“First of all you show a kind of comprehension to his behaviour because you know that he gets a lot of kicks, but you need to explain very clearly that it’s absolutely not the way, because they knew that he reacted when they provoked him. We said to him: ‘Be smarter with your body language, try to change it. If you show to a defender that you get irritated, he will only do it more. When they kick you, take three seconds to think and not react.’ And, of course, it happened a few times that he fell in the trap again.”

The Guardian

Since day one hes done that. At defenders, at refs and even at his own team mates at times. Watched him closely with that in his 1/2 season and could see the rest of the team getting pissed off him when he would throw his arms up in the air and complain. I can imagine it wears thin quick, especially from a player with his 'limitations'' (to put it mildly).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

To be fair, if Powell said something derogatory to him,  insulted him as a player, or ridiculed him for his injury that he's spent over a year coming back from, I cant blame him for trying to head butt him. 

Until I hear what Wes has to say about what Powell was doing I'll withold judgement.

If it was just about powells cheeky wind up play, then he needs moving on. 

? It's not pub football, professional athletes always wind each other up to rattle the opponents. If he can't take it without reacting like that, he has no place putting on the shirt.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MCU said:

The only thing worse than him getting the red was the fans clapping him off... 🤨

I'll never get why fans do that. 

Dublin got a standing ovation. I couldn't get my head round it. Losing and that just cemented it but treated like a hero for losing his head. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MCU said:

The only thing worse than him getting the red was the fans clapping him off... 🤨

he’s in the mud anyway, don’t think the fans pilling on would help.

Edited by Awol

2 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

? It's not pub football, professional athletes always wind each other up to rattle the opponents. If he can't take it without reacting like that, he has no place putting on the shirt.

Yep. The only thing I could excuse a reaction like that for is a racist insult. 

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

Davkaus, I am not condoning his actions in any form but at least he showed passion. I never want to see it from him again though 

I couldn't give a shit about "passion" when it's acocmpanied with the performances we get from this guy.

My sack him post was at least partly tongue in cheek, even if we can get a few million for him, it can be invested. Loaning him out might be a decent shout if we can find someone daft enough to pay his wages.

Silly stuff Wes.

Well hopefully that kicks some up the arse to make sure we get a striker/forward in. We're in a relegation battle if Watkins gets injured right now.

Could take him up to a season to get back where he was, and he was rubbish when he was there. Always in the wrong place, doesn't know how to challenge for a long ball without getting mugged into giving away fouls, wants to play like a 10 but can't control or pass the ball well enough, bit of pace but runs like he's missing a wheel and got nothing of note off the mark to actually get away from anyone.

Someone somewhere made a fortune from this deal. Would love it to come out one day how we became the mugs to pay £20m for him.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

he’s in the mud anyway, don’t think the fans pilling on would help.

I didn't say anything about piling on him but you can't clap him off after he's just lost his head 5 minutes into coming on in a bloody friendly.

Â