Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Wesley never had enough games for that to be decided!

What? He must have played more than any of them. He was consistently shit for half a season. It was pretty damn obvious he wasn't ready for the PL. 

20 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I never said they had, I don't think I even mentioned them in my post. Wesley in his limited chances proved he was better than either of those two.... So far.

You didn't, but the original post was pointing out how crap all 3 of them were. So the fact that you were defending only Wesley because he hadn't played enough when that would actually apply to all 3 of them seemed odd.

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

What? He must have played more than any of them. He was consistently shit for half a season. It was pretty damn obvious he wasn't ready for the PL. 

Despite being injured for half a season, Wesley has played twice the combined minutes of Samatta and Davis.

• Thanks 1

I said ages ago that this guy offered us something extra in attack, and that was quickly dismissed by many. He may not have scored every week but his holdup play and link with others moving forward was far better better than what we have at present. 

Samatta looks like he will score more goals, but we can’t create chances for him to do that. I don’t think his holdup play is anywhere near what Wesley can do. 

Funny that we have picked up less points without Wesley than we did with him. Imagine if Newcastle gave up on Joelinton - also someone who isn’t scoring many but offers more to the team in other areas. 

We have some serious learning to do about writing players off after 20 games or whatever it was. 

• Like 4

Wesley has far and away the best goals to game ratio of our strikers, Samatta has scored one in nine, Hogan has seven goals in fifty appearances, and Davis has two goals in over forty appearances, although to be fair to Davis he hasn't had much game time since his breakout season.

Either way I think we're going to need another striker next season whatever division we're in, even in the championship we can't take it for granted that any of them are suddenly going to start scoring on a regular basis. And if we do sign another it might mean we have to let one of the ones we already have go, or maybe that decision will be made for us if one of them decides that they don't want to play in the second division, wouldn't be surprised to see someone come in for Wesley.

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

You didn't, but the original post was pointing out how crap all 3 of them were. So the fact that you were defending only Wesley because he hadn't played enough when that would actually apply to all 3 of them seemed odd.

Well he has a scored the most goals, so not that odd. I haven't slated Samatta or Davis but they have 1 league goal between them. Simple fact.

3 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Well he has a scored the most goals, so not that odd. I haven't slated Samatta or Davis but they have 1 league goal between them. Simple fact.

Then you should've mentioned that fact in the first place. Your original post neither said nor implied anything of the sort. You simply stated that we couldn't judge Wesley because he hasn't played enough games(arguable considering he's close to 2000 minutes) but left Samatta and Davis to the wolves.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

I'm not debating the level of our strikeforce, I'm not saying Wesley is going to win us the title, or get us European football.

It is simply factual that Wesley is currently our best striker at the moment. 

How good is he? I have no idea...

But people calling him a busted flush is laughable!

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

Then you should've mentioned that fact in the first place. Your original post implied nothing of the sort. 

What are you on about? you're trying to create an argument where there isn't one. 

Have a nice day 😊

7 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Then you should've mentioned that fact in the first place. Your original post neither said nor implied anything of the sort. You simply stated that we couldn't judge Wesley because he hasn't played enough games(arguable considering he's close to 2000 minutes) but left Samatta and Davis to the wolves.

Samatta and Davis to the wolves, mate you need to chill out.

Davis is young and he doesn't score enough goals, but I like him and think he can get better and he offers us something different.

Samatta is someone who I haven't seen enough of but he too is struggling for goals, but I haven't thrown him to the wolves 😂

This is the Wesley Moraes thread, and I made a comment on Wesley Moraes. Forgive me 🙏

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It is getting boring now.

We get it. You miss Wesley and think we would be better off if he wasn't injured.

You don't have to repeat the same thing every single day. We get the message.

You don't do well with irony do you? 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I'm not debating the level of our strikeforce, I'm not saying Wesley is going to win us the title, or get us European football.

It is simply factual that Wesley is currently our best striker at the moment. 

How good is he? I have no idea...

But people calling him a busted flush is laughable!

I'm starting to wonder if the supporting cast (Midfield and wingers) performing shite might affect any strikers performance?

Crazy how when they play well, the forward tends to play well too.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm starting to wonder if the supporting cast (Midfield and wingers) performing shite might affect any strikers performance?

Crazy how when they play well, the forward tends to play well too.

Midfielder and winger performance clearly impact striker performance.

A similar arguement around at least part of our defensive issues are almost certainly down to how poorly our midfield and attack defend/press to help protect our back line.

The "team" isn't attacking or defending as a team, and the disjointed play impacts us all over the pitch.

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Midfielder and winger performance clearly impact striker performance.

A similar arguement around at least part of our defensive issues are almost certainly down to how poorly our midfield and attack defend/press to help protect our back line.

The "team" isn't attacking or defending as a team, and the disjointed play impacts us all over the pitch.

What's hilarious is that they claimed the rest of the team were shit, because he was shit and "holding the team back".

So naturally I expected the team to suddenly flourish without the Wesley shaped anchor.

They said ANY decent forward player who could control a ball, or run would have improved the team and attack immensely.

They are now the same ones probably saying Samatta is useless.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Not one of our players are among the top 50 in the PL when it comes to goals per minute. Not even close.

Wesley is actually our best in that aspect with a goal every 358th minute. The list only goes to top-50 and I can't be bothered to go through every team individually but I imagine he sits at about place 55-60.

Grealish and Hourihane are closes behind with 1 goal every 400 minute. Samatta sits at 1 goal ever 603 minutes and Davis is N/A. 

All in all after our initial 9 games of the season we have struggled for goals.

All according to Sofascore

Goals per minutes

Wesley  358

Jack Grealish  398

Conor Hourihane  400

Anwar El Ghazi  495

Trezeguet  510

Mbwana Samatta  603

John McGinn  633

Douglas Luiz  721

Ahmed El-Mohamady  828

Tyrone Mings  1227

Kortney Hause  1440

Björn Engels  1447

Matt Targett 1972

https://www.sofascore.com/sv/turnering/fotboll/england/premier-league/17

Edited by sne

I love it when people who clearly have a dislike for a particular player or manager just call him shit. Instead of providing reasoning for why they think the aforementioned is not up to the standards they call him shit.

Jordan Ayew and Gana both told me at around March/April of that disgusting season that the pace of the Premiership was too fast for them and it took time to adjust to it. Once they did they were both amongst our best performers that season (if anyone did perform) . 

Maybe Wesley struggled with the pace of the game too. However in some games he dominated the back lines culminating in his best performance in his last game.

Some of his runs prove he is a second striker and he likes to attack the box late. Yes in the majority of games he looked like he was behind the play but he has had at least 6/7 good games. However, in his bad games he also showed moments of natural ability.

In hindsight a Daniel Sturridge  Charlie Austin type player on a one year deal might have done everyone good especially Wesley. Wesley got injured and I for one believe without it he would have fired us to comfortable safety. 

• Like 2

I think Wesley was mostly poor and has explained countless times why and how.

But it was unfair to him to be expected to be relied on to this extent. He played almost every single minute before he got injured and when the goals dried up you could see he became frustrated and edgy.

That we didn't get another attacker in is the reason we are where we are. Davis is always injured and even when fit he doesn't score. We knew that. Kodjia is not a PL player and was never going to work.

It's not as easy as just signing someone. But we messes up. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I love it when people who clearly have a dislike for a particular player or manager just call him shit. Instead of providing reasoning for why they think the aforementioned is not up to the standards they call him shit.

Jordan Ayew and Gana both told me at around March/April of that disgusting season that the pace of the Premiership was too fast for them and it took time to adjust to it. Once they did they were both amongst our best performers that season (if anyone did perform) . 

Maybe Wesley struggled with the pace of the game too. However in some games he dominated the back lines culminating in his best performance in his last game.

Some of his runs prove he is a second striker and he likes to attack the box late. Yes in the majority of games he looked like he was behind the play but he has had at least 6/7 good games. However, in his bad games he also showed moments of natural ability.

In hindsight a Daniel Sturridge  Charlie Austin type player on a one year deal might have done everyone good especially Wesley. Wesley got injured and I for one believe without it he would have fired us to comfortable safety. 

I went back to reread a scouting report due to the resurgence of the thread, and it highlights the positives, as well as the complaints some on here have.

It heavily suggested that he is more of a link up player who likes to come deep, help with passing, build up and hold up play.

The writer also noted that this would probably have to be coached out of him (Which would take time) if he is to become an effective PL main striker.

Noted that he was helped by the quick wingers and neat Inter play with striker at Brugge.

He is a tireless worker.

His heading is weak for a big man and needs to be improved.

Claims he is deceptively quick.

If anything, as some have already said, it was the fault of the board for expecting to place the burden on this type of player to be our main goalscorer at such an early stage.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

Â