Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

I should also add that I read so often that Maupay would have saved us. I was his biggest fan last season and in the Summer, desperately wanted him here and thought he would transition easily in the PL. But actually he has disappointed me with 9 goals. Hardly the saviour we missed out on?

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

I should also add that I read so often that Maupay would have saved us. I was his biggest fan last season and in the Summer, desperately wanted him here and thought he would transition easily in the PL. But actually he has disappointed me with 9 goals. Hardly the saviour we missed out on?

I think over a full season Wesley would have got more goals. They had similar numbers when Wes got injured

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Funny thing is, the most uncommon name there among the 4 is Wesley. Ferreira da Silva is actually a pretty common surname in Brazil.

It is? Link stats please. 

Either way we're not in Brazil are we? That's kinda the point. 

31 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Wesley has played a lot more games and minutes than Samatta. It isn't even comparable.

There's an element of truth in this. But then again, Samatta is playing second fiddle to Davis atm. So what does that say about him? 

Wesley's strengths are passing and finishing. Definitely needs someone alongside him to get the best out of him IMO. Or at least some decent wingers/inside forwards who can link properly with him.

Edited by Tom13

2 hours ago, sne said:

We started the season scoring a lot for a poor side scoring 15 in our first 9. After that we regressed scoring 12 in 12 including the Burnley game where Wes got injured.

Edit: 8th highest scorers by round 21.

So we have scored 9 in the last 12. In that 12 in 12 stretch we played the top 7 in the league and the top 7 defensive teams in the league so we can give we the benefit of the doubt there. So overall scored about 1.3 with him on the pitch but 0.75 without him. And I wonder why people think he is a good striker. 

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

That's debatable.

12 games without a goal before Burnley game. Who is to say he wouldn't go on a similar bad spell?

Against the 8 best defenses in the league, that run is hardly indicative of how many goals he would score over the rest of the season. 

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

So we have scored 9 in the last 12. In that 12 in 12 stretch we played the top 7 in the league and the top 7 defensive teams in the league so we can give we the benefit of the doubt there. So overall scored about 1.3 with him on the pitch but 0.75 without him. And I wonder why people think he is a good striker. 

Take his whole season average and he was on course for 9 in 38.  4 of those came in the first 8 games. After that he had 1 in 13, that one came in the game he was injured.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Take his whole season average and he was on course for 9 in 38.  4 of those came in the first 8 games. After that he had 1 in 13, that one came in the game he was injured.

Once again ignoring the fact we played 8 of the top 10 defenses in the league during that stretch. And he had to recover goal scoring form after playing those teams. We were dominated by Soton and Watford and I'm of the opinion that he was our best player against Soton despite the grealish goal. So the first game since Newcastle he had a chance to score he did. I'm not saying wesley is a world beater but he is an average Premier league striker at this point which would have seen us safe. 

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Once again ignoring the fact we played 8 of the top 10 defenses in the league during that stretch. And he had to recover goal scoring form after playing those teams. We were dominated by Soton and Watford and I'm of the opinion that he was our best player against Soton despite the grealish goal. So the first game since Newcastle he had a chance to score he did. I'm not saying wesley is a world beater but he is an average Premier league striker at this point which would have seen us safe. 

I mean that almost half of the league you are excluding as teams he (we) can't be expected to score against.

We won't be up against Championship level teams like Norwich on a weekly basis in the PL

Just now, sne said:

I mean that almost half of the league you are excluding as teams he (we) can't be expected to score against.

We won't be up against Championship level teams like Norwich on a weekly basis in the PL

Yeah but you are judging him only on those teams. So the mixture of the games would see him on 9 goals, but he wouldn't have had to play all those top quality defensive teams in a row again so it is likely he wouldn't have had such a goal drought again.

It is far more likely he would have grown into the season like Luiz has because he would become more fluent in English and communicate with the team better and finish on a higher number of goals than what would be projected out. 

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Do you not adjust your expectations of players based on who we play?

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It is? Link stats please. 

Either way we're not in Brazil are we? That's kinda the point. 

Who honestly cares. Literally everybody knows him as just Wesley, which is ironically as English as you can get. Just like most people know Tammy Abraham as Tammy and not Kevin Oghenetega Tamaraebi Bakumo Abraham. The fancy name meme has to be one of the most played out and inaccurate talking points in football discussions.

Just now, lexicon said:

So what's wrong with expecting him to do better against weaker defences, and vice versa?

Nothing wrong with it, fully reasonable. But potential goals scored in games he didn't play is a guesstimation about things we know nothing about.

Maybe the goal he did score before his injury might have helped his confidence no end. Or not.

He was struggling badly in most of the games before the injury IMO. His overall play just as much as his lack of scoring.

He was playing lie he was part of a front 2 while actually being a lone striker. Constantly out of position and no one in the team seemed to understand the movements he did. The amount of crosses we put into an empty box was comical. 

• Like 1

Â