Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

3 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I don’t think he will, I haven’t seen that officially anywhere but he was only just running not that long ago. 

Bad as it sounds, a low profile introduction further into the season might suit him.

More time to settle into surroundings, less pressure, more time to study/learn the English game and hopefully be stronger as well.

Might even be able to grow the shorter leg to match the longer one.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think a fit Wes, with a proper preseason, in a team and a country that he has been in for a year will be an entirely different proposition.

For almost everyone else I'd agree. And to be fair it will help Wesley as well. But it's not enough. 

He completely lacks fundamental ability at this level and looks more like a pub level CAM than the false nine people like to call him. 

I'd be **** amazed if he comes good. I hope he does, but it would to me be the biggest surprise I've experienced in football. 

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Not really, he was better than davis and samatta which is sad but true

He was pretty awful for the most part. Now that doesn’t mean he’ll not come good, but I’m surprised when people say they are sure he’s going to be good.

On top of being well off the pace for the most part he’s suffered the worst injury a footballer can have which makes it even less likely he’ll come good.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, avfcDJ said:

I’m a Wes fan. Even looking at our goals this season, he was always in and around the box. Better wingers and a more solid team would have benefited him.

He has something about him, it’s just about getting that out of him.

Funny that, my biggest issue with Wes was that he was never in the box when the crosses came in. We put in a lot of crosses during the first half of the season, we were among those in the league with most. But there was never anyone in the box.

• Like 1

Touche Sne. Never where he should be and was in reverse everytime he got the ball. Remember he ran forward with the ball at one point and it actually became a talk in the match thread cause he more often than not just passed it backwards. 

And don't get me started on his heading, timing, acceleration or general urgency. Awful. 

3 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I don’t think he will, I haven’t seen that officially anywhere but he was only just running not that long ago. 

He was pounding the streets of Brazil in early May In this report 

The 23-year-old has been pounding the streets in his hometown of Juiz de Fora back in Brazil as he steps up his recovery, watch it above.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/video-excite-aston-villa-fans-18263859

Edited by Eastie

9 minutes ago, sne said:

Funny that, my biggest issue with Wes was that he was never in the box when the crosses came in. We put in a lot of crosses during the first half of the season, we were among those in the league with most. But there was never anyone in the box.

I watched a video of all our goals from the season and noticed he was in the box nearly each time.

Just now, avfcDJ said:

I watched a video of all our goals from the season and noticed he was in the box nearly each time.

Think we could go through almost every match thread and we'd find countless of post complaining about him not being in the box and playing as if in a front 2 rather than as a #9.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Think we could go through almost every match thread and we'd find countless of post complaining about him not being in the box and playing as if in a front 2 rather than as a #9.

Personally I think he would suit 4-4-2, but that all comes down to recruitment. I still think he can make it in the formation we play, we just need pace on the wings and people up and around him.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

He was pretty awful for the most part. Now that doesn’t mean he’ll not come good, but I’m surprised when people say they are sure he’s going to be good.

On top of being well off the pace for the most part he’s suffered the worst injury a footballer can have which makes it even less likely he’ll come good.

I’m not SURE he’ll come good, and we definitely need another striker (as @Zatman says, relieving that responsibility when bad form hits is a good thing if anything else), but we do have a terrible habit of writing players off really quickly.

He’s a young lad, adapting to what is apparently the hardest league to play in in the World, but showed glimpses of how he might benefit the team leading the line. He missed sitters and had more poor games than good games, but I’ve got a feeling he’ll be a decent player for us. Not Benteke standard, but a 10-a-season type who holds the ball up and brings the midfield into play too. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, avfcDJ said:

Personally I think he would suit 4-4-2, but that all comes down to recruitment. I still think he can make it in the formation we play, we just need pace on the wings and people up and around him.

Yeah it showed he had never played as a lone striker, sure he can learn with coaching and experience. 

Just hope the injury hasn't destroyed his knee.

• Thanks 1

He was an issue, no team is going to do much with 12 games without a goal and 4 without a shot on target. But he should never have been put in the position where he was our everything in the striker department. 

Is he better than Davis and Samatta? Absolutely. But for his development and for us to push on, he needs to be a role player next year and not our number 9.  

Edited by DCJonah

Just now, DCJonah said:

He was an issue, no team is going to do much with 12 games without a goal and 4 without a shot on target. But he should never have been put in the position where he was our everything in the striker department. 

Is he better than Davis and Samatta. Absolutely. But for his development and for us to push on, he needs to be a role player next year and not our number 9.  

Look at his 5 goals and his finishes. If Davis could do that he'd be a 40m pound striker. But he can't, and we're considering loaning him out to the Championhsip.

8 minutes ago, Eastie said:

He was pounding the street hookers of Brazil in early May In this report 

The 23-year-old has been pounding the streets in his hometown of Juiz de Fora back in Brazil as he steps up his recovery, watch it above.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/video-excite-aston-villa-fans-18263859

Sounds like he’s getting his mojo back then!

arnold schwarzenegger doubletake GIF

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah it showed he had never played as a lone striker, sure he can learn with coaching and experience. 

Just hope the injury hasn't destroyed his knee.

Yeah the injury is a worry. Hope he comes back with no issues.

• Like 1

I’m confident he’ll come good, only thing that might hamper that is the injury and any potential long term affects.

Looked good on more than one occasion which demonstrates he’s capable of it, people can’t seem to get their heads around that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tbf to Wes, some performances were questionable but he was on target for v10 goals this season. Other players that scored around that firminho, lacazette, grealish, greenwood, maupay.

Double figures in his first season would have been a good return. I'm happy to see if we get him back and whether we can improve him. I'd suggest he will score a reasonable return.

2 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Tbf to Wes, some performances were questionable but he was on target for v10 goals this season. Other players that scored around that firminho, lacazette, grealish, greenwood, maupay.

Double figures in his first season would have been a good return. I'm happy to see if we get him back and whether we can improve him. I'd suggest he will score a reasonable return.

Double figures would have been a good return especially considering I never expected him to be a 20+ goal striker. It's more how his game affects our attack that I found more important and he has a lot of improving to do there but I think he has the qualities to be like a 15 and 10 type striker that he was in Belgium.

Â