Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

People quote the price tag but there has been far worse pieces of business by other clubs. Look at Iwobi. He played about as many games for Everton than Big Wes and scored 1 goal. He cost 35 million. His previous season at Arsenal he scored a huge figure of 3 goals in 35 games. So in one half season Wes has scored more goals than Iwobi has in two years, and cost 14 million less.

• Like 2

Fingers crossed this injury has no lasting psychological or physiological impacts.  That's my biggest concern,  as if he can overcome them he's got the potential to be very good. Given those concerns, however,  we need a new first choice striker otherwise we are gambling massively

Edited by MrBlack
typo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Fingers crossed this injury has no lasting psychological or psychological impacts.  That's my biggest concern,  as if he can overcome them he's got the potential to be very good. Given those concerns, however,  we need a new first choice striker otherwise we are gambling massively

Psychologically I think the kid is tough he became a father when he was young. Physiologically it's going to be tough for him. This is a regular injury in the NFL so maybe those well versed in that sport can give us an insight into how and what type of recovery Wesley can expect?

27 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

People quote the price tag but there has been far worse pieces of business by other clubs. Look at Iwobi. He played about as many games for Everton than Big Wes and scored 1 goal. He cost 35 million. His previous season at Arsenal he scored a huge figure of 3 goals in 35 games. So in one half season Wes has scored more goals than Iwobi has in two years, and cost 14 million less.

I don't think anyone is saying Wesley has been the worst signing in the history of football.

Equally I think there would be uproar if we started next season without another striker signed for first team level

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't think anyone is saying Wesley has been the worst signing in the history of football.

Equally I think there would be uproar if we started next season without another striker signed for first team level

Agreed. Minimum two signings up top.

I agree we need another top class striker to be number one striker for us but at the same time I'm looking forward to seeing Wes.  I hope he does a Luiz and really show what he's got now he's more settled and can speak the language better.  Same with a lot of players we brought in last season will have benefited from a full season and be better, from the likes of Konsa and Luiz, then hopefully others like Wes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

I don’t think he will, I haven’t seen that officially anywhere but he was only just running not that long ago. 

What like last August !  - sorry couldn't resist 

• Haha 1

On 26/07/2020 at 22:48, Zatman said:

I said it before, the issue with Wesley is that he was taken the pressure on his own and no senior striker to help him. Remember Benteke first few months he showed potential but he was still a bit hit and miss but we could play Bent or Gabby to take the full pressure off him

Not just that but someone to learn from and ideally, admire as well.

I think we should look to buy an experienced striker, a role model for Wes and Davis to learn from, not sure Samatta fits the bill so I’d move him on if possible and bring in someone like a Jay Rodriguez, but not Jay Rodriguez cos he’s a total cockwomble.

I’m a Wes fan. Even looking at our goals this season, he was always in and around the box. Better wingers and a more solid team would have benefited him.

He has something about him, it’s just about getting that out of him.

• Like 2

I am not Wes' biggest fan. Far from it. He drove me mad.

....buuuuut a fit Wes and we probably are safe with weeks to spare. Maybe 15th in the table which everyone owners included I presume would have been ecstatic with.

He's not a horrific piece of business. Not a great coup either.How he has become the figurehead for Suso losing his job is a bit strange to me. 

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

I think a fit Wes, with a proper preseason, in a team and a country that he has been in for a year will be an entirely different proposition.

To be honest if he hasn’t got injured and he’d kicked on in the new year then it might be a totally different discussion we are all having. 
As much as I want him to be better than he is, I’m not ready to write off a 23 year old I’ve only seen play 21 times. 

• Thanks 1

Â