Jump to content
Tomaszk

Wesley Moraes

Recommended Posts

Yeah sure. Midfielders have stopped scoring since Heaton's injury too.

We battered Spurs in that first half and without Wesley. Woah, what is this magic?? How is that even possible? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Interesting Mings has played fewer minutes than Hause and Targett unless Mings has actually scored more than 1 goal ths season 

They have him down on 2 goals in the league. As does the Barclays fantasy site. Manure and Watford

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sne said:

They have him down on 2 goals in the league. As does the Barclays fantasy site. Manure and Watford

OK thought Konsa scored vs Watford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zatman said:

OK thought Konsa scored vs Watford

Konsa shot deflected off of mings' boot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

It was more his link up play than the final ball. He used his size as a distraction often for him to either dummy the ball or play a pass out wide which created space for others in the middle, aka mcginn which is where all of mcginns goals have come from this season, running into the space in the box. 

Yup, this is the biggest thing missing from our forwards right now and why we're struggling to score. Even when Wesley wasn't scoring our midfield was chipping in nicely because he made space for them, either with his runs or just occupying a defender's attention. Right now, defences are barely breaking a sweat dealing with Samatta and Davis who play most of their game with their back to goal outside the penalty box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clean slate when he returns for me. 

I think he was part of our issues early on. 12 games with no goals and 4 consecutive games without a shot on target, show he wasn't helping us. 

Would we have more points with him right now? Not sure. I think he'd have scored some goals but I'm not confident as a team we'd have converted those games into points.

It was a terrible decision from the board to go with him as our main striker and leave davis and kodjia supporting him. If that doesn't make you feel sorry for smith, nothing will. 

I hope a year in the championship will bring the best out of him. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Clean slate when he returns for me. 

I think he was part of our issues early on. 12 games with no goals and 4 consecutive games without a shot on target, show he wasn't helping us. 

Would we have more points with him right now? Not sure. I think he'd have scored some goals but I'm not confident as a team we'd have converted those games into points.

It was a terrible decision from the board to go with him as our main striker and leave davis and kodjia supporting him. If that doesn't make you feel sorry for smith, nothing will. 

I hope a year in the championship will bring the best out of him. 

How much influence does Smith have though? If it’s zero then I agree it’s shit for him to be left with those striking options.

But does he tell the board who he needs? Or what kind of striker he needs?

Does he say “no I only need one striker and use the money to buy more midfielders”

Or does he literally do nothing and just uses the players he ends up with?

I think it’s very hard to gauge how much blame, if any, sits with Smith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

How much influence does Smith have though? If it’s zero then I agree it’s shit for him to be left with those striking options.

But does he tell the board who he needs? Or what kind of striker he needs?

Does he say “no I only need one striker and use the money to buy more midfielders”

Or does he literally do nothing and just uses the players he ends up with?

I think it’s very hard to gauge how much blame, if any, sits with Smith

From what I understand he has input, as well as likely the final say on whether we sign a player. Also recommends and scouts players. But when it comes to how many players we actually sign and budgetary restrictions etc, I imagine he has very little sway. So basically we don't sign any player he doesn't want, but that's probably as far as his influence stretches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

From what I understand he has input, as well as likely the final say on whether we sign a player. Also recommends and scouts players. But when it comes to how many players we actually sign and budgetary restrictions etc, I imagine he has very little sway. So basically we don't sign any player he doesn't want, but that's probably as far as his influence stretches.

Well exactly. So I think it’s a little rash to say he has absolutely no blame in the striker situation. 
 

He might have said he only needs one striker. He might have specifically asked for a player like Wesley, or Wesley specifically. 
 

I agree that recruitment has a lot to answer for, and Smith largely isn’t to blame for that. But I don’t necessarily absolve him of everything

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah sure. Midfielders have stopped scoring since Heaton's injury too.

We battered Spurs in that first half and without Wesley. Woah, what is this magic?? How is that even possible? 

From the top of my head Wesley wrestled a spurs defender to allow Mcginn to break through. He laid a ball off  to Guilbert for him to cross for Grealish against Brighton. He laid off the ball for Grealish for his goal against Burnley.  He laid the ball off for Luiz for his stunner against Norwich.
 

As much as you want to ignore it. He did a lot more than our current strikers are doing.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

How much influence does Smith have though? If it’s zero then I agree it’s shit for him to be left with those striking options.

But does he tell the board who he needs? Or what kind of striker he needs?

Does he say “no I only need one striker and use the money to buy more midfielders”

Or does he literally do nothing and just uses the players he ends up with?

I think it’s very hard to gauge how much blame, if any, sits with Smith

I just can't see him saying that those 3 would be his plan. I think we wanted another striker and failed to bring one in during the summer window. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was Smith's decision not to pursue Maupay because he though they were asking for too much money, we know this because he's said so himself.

I think people get carried away with this idea of modern day managers having little say in transfers, they will have others who will initially scout the players and negotiate their transfers, but at most clubs the manager will still have final say, or at least have the power to stop a transfer from happening if it's a player he doesn't want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, useless said:

It was Smith's decision not to pursue Maupay because he though they were asking for too much money, we know this because he's said so himself.

I think people get carried away with this idea of modern day managers having little say in transfers, they will have others who will initially scout the players and negotiate their transfers, but at most clubs the manager will still have final say, or at least have the power to stop a transfer from happening if it's a player he doesn't want.

Choosing not to pursue Maupay doesn't mean he didn't want another striker or that he thought wesley could do it all himself. 

I'm not sure why this keeps getting mentioned. Surely the fact we were so publicly linked to maupay, weeks after signing wesley, shows that we were after another striker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course we wanted another striker, but it keeps getting mentioned bcause it does away with the ridiculous myth/excuse that Smith doesn't have anything to do with transfers. It was his decision to not sign Maupay, he also scouted Trezegeut and Nakamaba, doubt he went to scout them because he had no say in the matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, useless said:

Of course we wanted another striker, but it keeps getting mentioned bcause it does away with the ridiculous myth/excuse that Smith doesn't have anything to do with transfers. It was his decision to not sign Maupay, he also scouted Trezegeut and Nakamaba, doubt he went to scout them because he had no say in the matter.

No one has ever said he doesn't have any say what so ever in regards to transfers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purslow last summer said:

“I’m encouraging my colleagues to pause and contemplate carefully exactly where we will make additions this summer and who the players leaving us will be. It’s not a moment to rush, it’s not a moment to get carried away by the euphoria.

“This is the moment when poorly run clubs and businesses make mistakes and we don’t want to do that.

“We’re extremely well-prepared, we’ve got an outstanding sporting director in Jesus Pitarch and all the work has been done. The decisions are for the board now in where we prioritise and we’ll take a little bit of time to nail those down.”

“We have a very well organised recruitment department now under Suso’s leadership.

“We’ve got some really great young recruiters, and ones with experience. They’ve been working meticulously for many weeks."

Pretty obvious to me that Dean Smith is a small part in this department, and while i'm sure he has an input, I don't believe it is as big as his critics would have you believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/07/2020 at 14:08, nick76 said:

wow, just wow to this comment! 

 

Exactly Nik. The way I see the Davis v Wesley debate. 

Davis - for all his ok work in holding the ball up (and let's be clear, ok is all it is), his finishing is appalling. It doesn't matter if you're up against Buffon or Big Dave from the Hare and Hounds, if you can't hit the target you won't be prolific at any level. 

Wesley

Has scored in the PL. And given he is new to the country in an appalling team, I'd go as far as to say that his return of 5 goals pre injury is quite decent. I'm convinced that a season in the championship will be the making of the kid. 

 

It's absolutely night and day imo. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Exactly Nik. The way I see the Davis v Wesley debate. 

Davis - for all his ok work in holding the ball up (and let's be clear, ok is all it is), his finishing is appalling. It doesn't matter if you're up against Buffon or Big Dave from the Hare and Hounds, if you can't hit the target you won't be prolific at any level. 

Wesley

Has scored in the PL. And given he is new to the country in an appalling team, I'd go as far as to say that his return of 5 goals pre injury is quite decent. I'm convinced that a season in the championship will be the making of the kid. 

 

It's absolutely night and day imo. 

 

I just dont know how people can question it, as you say it's night and day the difference between the two. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbf, I can't say Davis' finishing is appalling because I can barely recall seeing him shoot.

*mentally insert RollSafe.jpeg here 'cause I don't have it on my phone*

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â