Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Was that when his legs got smashed to pieces 🤔

No I remember it well, I genuinely thought he’d had a cardiac arrest on the pitch. Can’t remember who it was against. I think the ball hit him when he went up for a header or something 

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Tbf I've seen Cash make at least two tackles similar to that one in recent weeks. Let's not pretend our players aren't guilty of similar.

But ballbag Mee has done it before...and this is the second career he has effectively ended.

I don't recall Cash having crippled anyone, despite your valid point that he does love the tackle.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, MrBlack said:

But ballbag Mee has done it before...and this is the second career he has effectively ended.

I don't recall Cash having crippled anyone, despite your valid point that he does love the tackle.

Matt Doherty ruptured his medal ligament from that tackle.  Not quite as bad but it still will have consequences on his career as it was just when he was getting a run of starts and he will be way down the pecking order again most likely when he is fit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Matt Doherty ruptured his medal ligament from that tackle.  Not quite as bad but it still will have consequences on his career as it was just when he was getting a run of starts and he will be way down the pecking order again most likely when he is fit.

Confess to only having seen clips of that game and that injury didn't even make the match report I read. Pretty bad tackle, but relatively low speed and not quite the flying lunge that Mee did. Guess that is the difference between it being a career ender and a season ender.

I'm pretty sure his career at a top level in any major division (and I include Belgium, Brazil, even Denmark and the like ) over.

That video that was posted a few months back. He looks physically done. Rehab must have been awful.

• Like 1

He'll have 18 months left on his contract when he comes back to us in Jan. If it wasn't for FFP we should pay up his contract and let him join another club. But he'll probably find another Loan somewhere in Brazil for 2023

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Feel sorry for him, but he was barely good enough when fit. A truly awful signing by the club at the time. 

He was cut down when he finally looked like he was finding his feet.

he’ll never play in a top league again

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

He was cut down when he finally looked like he was finding his feet.

he’ll never play in a top league again

He wasn't what we needed. We were newly promoted, having to build a new team and we put all our goalscoring hopes on a young Brazilian, who wasn't even prolific in Belgium. 

We should have gone with an experienced striker who had played in the Premier League. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Xela said:

He wasn't what we needed. We were newly promoted, having to build a new team and we put all our goalscoring hopes on a young Brazilian, who wasn't even prolific in Belgium. 

We should have gone with an experienced striker who had played in the Premier League. 

While I don’t disagree, who would/could/should that have been?

I’ve had a look at other transfers that were made that summer, the one that sticks out to meet the requirement is, humorously enough, Danny Ings who went to Saints for similar to what we paid for Wes. Could we have got him at that time? I’m not convinced. 

You’re right though, it was a poor transfer for us (and Wes). As a striker, you at least want them to be vaguely prolific in whatever league they’ve been playing in to feel optimistic. For me it’s the one REALLY bad transfer we’ve made since promotion. At least with the likes of Engels and Samatta, we managed to recoup a reasonable amount back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Xela said:

We didnt have the money though. We needed to buy a whole squad, bringing in a Giroud or Chris Wood would have cost a lot in salary and wages. I doubt Wesley was on more than 40k a week

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. A bit like Luc Nilis, albeit a less talented version.

Understatement of the millennia :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, pete101 said:

So

What's the story here, will he be brought back at some stage for Gerrard to have a look at him or are we washing our hands of him?

I'll be amazed of Gerrard has any interest. He's not premier league quality. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'll be amazed of Gerrard has any interest. He's not premier league quality. 

He's also now the wrong type of player.  When we got promoted I think our scouting brief was probably - we need the next Benteke.  Whereas now we are probably looking for something more like the next Jamie Vardy.

23 minutes ago, allani said:

He's also now the wrong type of player.  When we got promoted I think our scouting brief was probably - we need the next Benteke.  Whereas now we are probably looking for something more like the next Jamie Vardy.

I dont know about that...a new Benteke would do just fine!

Â