Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Just now, Indigo said:

This has been the most notably thing for me. They battered Spurs until they got the third because their vulnerability was too good of an opportunity to pass up. Compare that to us vs Arsenal and the difference is stark. If we weren't so naive in how we manage games we'd be fine.

It's not only about managing games. I agree Smith's in game management isn't good but the core of the problem is that we got a loser mentality within the group.

They go into that run and hide mode whenever we get under pressure. 

18 minutes ago, turvontour said:

What's the got to do with enjoying supporting Villa?

Just the constant negativity and never seeing any positives doesn’t seem enjoyable.  That’s all.

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Being critical and wanting things to change means not supporting your team for certain people.

Didn’t say for a second you are not supporting your team mate. Apologises if  it came across that way. You just rarely seem happy about us. 

25 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Of course they kill off the game.

We have a lot to learn from Brighton.

Every game is different. Had we been playing this Spurs team at home today I think we would have won too.  They didn’t seem interested.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Every game is different. Had we been playing this Spurs team at home today I think we would have won too.  They didn’t seem interested.

Same thing happened against Spurs

Same thing happened against Arsenal

Same thing happened against Burnley

This isn't just a fluke incident, it's happening on a consistent basis and is a core problem.

Edited by villalad21

Just now, villalad21 said:

Same thing happened against Spurs

Same thing happened against Arsenal

Same thing happened against Burnley

This isn't just a fluke, it's happening on a consistent basis and is a core problem.

True but I’d be a lot more worried if we weren't even taking leads. 

Glass half full and all that. 

• Like 1

Really can't see Norwich staying up.

They'll get the odd good win but they are way too open, especially on counter attack.

If people think our defence is poor, I imagine today has been an eye opener looking at the Norwich lot! Despite all the injuries they've actually got 3/4 first choice defence out.

Well 8 pts in 8 games means we're back on schedule.

A point per game is enough most seasons to stay up.

We should have much more than 8 points so far, and should be nowhere nearly the bottom 3 IMO. I think we'll be fine this season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Well 8 pts in 8 games means we're back on schedule.

A point per game is enough most seasons to stay up.

Certainly does when others are on less and looking unlikely to do better

Considering we should have had at least 3-5 more points this season, we could be sitting in the top half if it weren't for some early teething issues in the PL. We just keep getting better. I wouldn't want to be Brighton at VP after the int'l break let's put it that way.

• Like 1

Don't think it can be understated just what a great result that was for us and how poor it was for Norwich. Imagine if Norwich had come to VP and turned us over 5-1. Even if we had an injury crisis it'd still be right up there for terrible.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Considering we should have had at least 3-5 more points this season, we could be sitting in the top half if it weren't for some early teething issues in the PL. We just keep getting better. I wouldn't want to be Brighton at VP after the int'l break let's put it that way.

Exactly. I was thinking this morning that we should probably have at least 3 more points than we do. Overall we've had a reasonable start to what was always going to be a very tough season.

I read through some comments on here about how we are a bunch of losers and it really makes me cringe.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Don't think it can be understated just what a great result that was for us and how poor it was for Norwich. Imagine if Norwich had come to VP and turned us over 5-1. Even if we had an injury crisis it'd still be right up there for terrible.

100% about the result. Could have gone wrong but it didn't - result means confidence and can set us up this season. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Exactly. I was thinking this morning that we should probably have at least 3 more points than we do. Overall we've had a reasonable start to what was always going to be a very tough season.

The issue is we've dropped pts against the likes of Bournemouth, Burnley, West Ham and Crystal Palace.

We're yet to play the real big guns.

But this performance will give the players loads of confidence. 5-1 wins isn't typical for a relegation team.

The issue is we've dropped pts against the likes of Bournemouth, Burnley, West Ham and Crystal Palace.

spurs, arsenal. Also, brand new team, 8 games in - dude get real. please. 

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

But this performance will give the players loads of confidence. 5-1 wins isn't typical for a relegation team.

Agree, Bournemouth was appalling defending. Burnley should have won, possibly West Ham as well. Palace we were garbage but robbed of a goal. 

I'd say we probably deserve to be on a few points more if we are basing it on performances as opposed to results. 

Watford will start to get cut adrift now I think. Bad for them not to beat Sheffield United at home. They have Spurs (I know I know) and Chelsea in next 3 games.

Can't see Norwich staying up. Conceding close to 3 goals a game and can't even pick up a point away from home so will run out of home games to win.

Everton in 17th....another summer of massive spending by them and they seem to get worse every year, can hardly score a goal away from home.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

There's only two "big guns" in this league.

Would be pretty disappointed if we can't get off a point or two off Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Man. United when they come to Villa Park. We have players who can cause them issues if we can get on the front foot enough in those games.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1