Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We can't sit and wait for a vaccine. That could be years away.

There is next to no money in women's football. You know that. I know that. Less things at stake for clubs.

You claim you aim for football being back in August/September yet you seem dead set on it having to be 100 % safe before we can start playing again.

What is your stand again?

And that's what this is all about in a nutshell. If there wasn't as much money in it they'd be far more concerned with the risks to safety.

It seems you can put a figure on peoples lives.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

And that's what this is all about in a nutshell. If there wasn't as much money in it they'd be far more concerned with the risks to safety.

It seems you can put a figure on peoples lives.

Like any other business. Welcome to the real world.

People need money to survive.

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

The Premier League is giving millions to a company which Rio Ferdinand is a shareholder of for coronavirus tests, with 98.8% accuracy. Whereas, you can buy a test from Superdrug for £69pp with 97.5% sensitivity  and 100% specificity, promising no false positives if you have no coronavirus antibodies. Both have a 48-hour window of results.

Are you saying football is a cosy club for jobs for the old boys? Never! Well ok maybe a couple of times. Like when Alan Sugar made a fortune saying Sky TV dishes when said contract for football was won by them. Or giving Scudamore 5 million for retiring. I could probably think of more but its too hot.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Just now, villalad21 said:

I know how the world works...that doesn't mean we have to agree it's how it should work.

The league and the clubs don't really care about the players and their families. They'll jump through the hoops the government ask them too in order to be allowed to play/make money but don't kid yourself into thinking this is safe...it isn't. They've done what they can but it's like sending soldiers into battle, they're still going to be getting shot at.

This is a massive gamble they're taking with other peoples lives. I really hope the worst doesn't happen and they regret this decision.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think anyone would

How many of us would accept we can go back to work but have to live in a hotel with our work colleagues? I wouldn't 

I dunno, sounds good after 6 weeks with the Mrs :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I know how the world works...that doesn't mean we have to agree it's how it should work.

The league and the clubs don't really care about the players and their families. They'll jump through the hoops the government ask them too in order to be allowed to play/make money but don't kid yourself into thinking this is safe...it isn't. They've done what they can but it's like sending soldiers into battle, they're still going to be getting shot at.

This is a massive gamble they're taking with other peoples lives. I really hope the worst doesn't happen and they regret this decision.

Less of a risk to lives than people being told to catch buses and trains to go back to work 

I'm glad a couple of footballers like Deeney and Rose have stood up and given their opinion.

Apparently more will do the same in the coming weeks as they didn't get a chance in the meeting on Monday, if five or six players from each club have their reservations there will likely be no football to restart.

In that case the PL, would be wrong to relegate.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think anyone would

How many of us would accept we can go back to work but have to live in a hotel with our work colleagues? I wouldn't 

Would I get to share a room with Abby from accounts? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Less of a risk to lives than people being told to catch buses and trains to go back to work 

Indeed, and I think the point - it's hard to ask people to take the risk of getting busses and trains to work - but it's easier if you can point at footballers and say "they're at work look, you should be too".

• Like 1

"Why is it not allowed to go to the barber but it's ok to play football"

It's not allowed to play football Troy. When it's finally safe to play football again i'm sure you can take a trip to your barber.

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's not allowed to play football Troy. When it's finally safe to play football again i'm sure you can take a trip to your barber.

I think Barbers will open after football restarts. Probably the highest risk of all shops to reopen. No new cases in London today. Its quite possible that this virus could just die out without the need of a vaccine. 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

"The real world" as you put it has people getting shot or stabbed every day. So, you won't bitch or moan about that if it happens to you - because it's "the real world"? 

Just because something appears as "the norm" it doesn't mean people should just accept it and not actively try to change it. 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think Barbers will open after football restarts. Probably the highest risk of all shops to reopen. No new cases in London today. Its quite possible that this virus could just die out without the need of a vaccine. 

Of the 6 tested positive at least 2 of them Woan and Marriappa have no symptoms 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/20/watford-reveal-one-player-and-two-staff-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-premier-league

Mariappa said he was asymptomatic and had not breached any guidelines. “Ever since I got my positive result back on Tuesday, I’ve been scratching my head to try to work out how I might have got coronavirus,” the defender told the Telegraph. “It was a big surprise because I haven’t really left the house, apart from some exercise and the odd walk with the kids. I’ve mainly just been homeschooling and keeping fit.

Advertisement

“My lifestyle is very quiet, certainly no parties or going out or anything, so I really don’t know how I got it. Like most people, we’ve been having more deliveries of food and things, so maybe that’s one way, and my partner has been to the supermarket a few times.”

Not sure it will die out , I think it likely be seasonal the issue is other than a vaccine how people are identified at risk and is there treatments that can be used to clear it up once you have it.

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It could, or it could go the way of 1918 when they also thought the worst was over with and the second wave hit and millions died. 

42 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Apart from training started yesterday... 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Apart from training started yesterday... 

Small group training isn't playing football. They are doing some exercises that's about it.

Full contact training won't be happening until 3 weeks, possibly more.

Edited by villalad21

35 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Solely looking at football, if Deeney stays away from Watford that's huge and they'll probably go down. He is the heartbeat of that team.

Yes I'd imagine the pressure on him to return if they loose the first few games will be quite intense. I know Pearson  has said what he said about players returning but no way will he want to get relegated. 

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes I'd imagine the pressure on him to return if they loose the first few games will be quite intense. I know Pearson  has said what he said about players returning but no way will he want to get relegated. 

Bournemouth missing King as well

Wouldn't mind them dropping into 18th and 19th.

Would do me just fine. Norwich to stay where they are of course