Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

You won't get it on the training ground because everyone is tested.

I'm almost 100 % certain no players or staff will get infected during this training period.

You were "almost 100% certain" above that no players or staff would get infected training in the PL, but then "expected more" than 2 in Germany? 🎣

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Germany had more players testing positive.

I see this as good news. I expected more. Less than 1 %

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Premier League approach is similar to the government's. Garbled,  contradictory, ill thought out and seemingly with little consequence of the long term impacts.

Ladies and Gentlemen we are going to hell in a handcart  with the rest of the world baffled at our posturing.

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

The media spin is interesting. Compare and contrast:

That’s Otp. Football may be non essential but other people are being told to go back to work so he’s no lab rat 

3 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I wonder if Sky and BT were around in WWII, would they have just given the players soldiers helmets and said you have to play with these on these will make it as safe as it's going to get.

No because most of the players were called up to the armed services 

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Rose is an idiot.

Everyone else have to get back to work in less protected environments.

Crap footballer. No one will miss him if he doesn't turn up.

Yes Rose is the idiot here 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Josh King now joined Deeney in not sure he wants to return. I think it damages the integrity of the Premier League more if players refusing to return 

If our relegation rivals are losing important players that's beneficial for us.

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Josh King now joined Deeney in not sure he wants to return. I think it damages the integrity of the Premier League more if players refusing to return 

Shhh. If we are to resume, the better players from relegation rivals not wanting to play is fine.

• Like 1

I feel the same way, it's all left a terrible feeling with me.

Scotland's stance was very much it's not safe to finish the league, numbers of deaths and infections in Scotland are way less than in England. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I couldnt give a **** if we go down at this stage, this league is a **** farce 

Whilst I can agree the league is a farce, I can’t agree about not giving 5hIt if we go down. Whether we like it or not the league is intent on starting up again. Villa must be amongst the front runners of fitness when it does start up, amongst the best prepared for the situation ahead. 

I’m not sure about the loan situation and whether he’s available, but I’d think that there could be a role to play for Jacob Ramsey? Young, energetic, talented. These upcoming games behind closed doors could be an ideal situation to get players such as Ramsey and Vassilev in and around the first 11. These last 10 games are going to be a sprint, fitness and energy will be vital. Two young and exuberant players could be just the extra bit of fizz we need to give us an edge. 

44 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I’m not sure about the loan situation and whether he’s available, but I’d think that there could be a role to play for Jacob Ramsey? Young, energetic, talented. These upcoming games behind closed doors could be an ideal situation to get players such as Ramsey and Vassilev in and around the first 11. These last 10 games are going to be a sprint, fitness and energy will be vital. Two young and exuberant players could be just the extra bit of fizz we need to give us an edge. 

Yes, some of these games may be made for young players with energy to play a late part in, the trouble is that teams like Chelsea and Manchester United, will have big hitters to come off their bench. If we do restart, I would think that Dean might want to try Graham Taylor's motivational speech, "You've got yourself into this mess, now get yourself out of it." 😉

Edited by John
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

All about $$$$$$ nothing more simply.

Yes, though part of that is very understandable as the flow of (big) money is essential to keep the lights on. So while its very sad to see the integrity of the game continuously washed away by the lust for money, some of that is simply born out of survival instincts.

Which brings me to a point I feel is largely missing in the discussion around the economic impact for football and society as a whole. There is this urgent need to get back to business as usual to avoid devastating consequences, without acknowledging that BAU was what got us here in the first place. And if you argue that it is in fact the virus that got us here, I'd say sure, but a virus of this sort (or another event with similar impact) was 100% predictable and merely a question of time.

So, before urging to get the game back on in a time when we still know very little about the virus, the effects of government measures, the long term health impacts ect, we should grasp this opportunity for real reform of the structures around the modern game. How can we ensure the sustainability and resiliency of the football pyramid, the grassroots organisations, the connection with the fans (of all classes!) and decades long local fan culture, the integrity of the game as a whole (World cup in Qatar played in stadiums build by modern slaves is just one horrible example of how far its gone the wrong way).

I have very little hope for such reforms but I'm disappointed by the lack of mainstream discussion around it.  

Edited by trom_borg
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, trom_borg said:

Yes, though part of that is very understandable as the flow of (big) money is essential to keep the lights on. So while its very sad to see the integrity of the game continuously washed away by the lust for money, some of that is simply born out of survival instincts.

Which brings me to a point I feel is largely missing in the discussion around the economic impact for football and society as a whole. There is this urgent need to get back to business as usual to avoid devastating consequences, without acknowledging that BAU was what got us here in the first place. And if you argue that it is in fact the virus that got us here, I'd say sure, but a virus of this sort (or another event with similar impact) was 100% predictable and merely a question of time.

So, before urging to get the game back on in a time when we still know very little about the virus, the effects of government measures, the long term health impacts ect, we should grasp this opportunity for real reform of the structures around the modern game. How can we ensure the sustainability and resiliency of the football pyramid, the grassroots organisations, the connection with the fans (of all classes!) and decades long local fan culture, the integrity of the game as a whole (World cup in Qatar played in stadiums build by modern slaves is just one horrible example of how far its gone the wrong way).

I have very little hope for such reforms but I'm disappointed by the lack of mainstream discussion around it.  

The problem is that it’s going the opposite way with more games because in turn that means more money.  Expanded European competitions From straight out knock to modern day Champions League, International tournaments including more teams, Pre and Post season club tournaments rather than friendlies.

With the European games being delayed until August....any idea if the FA Cup has been cancelled, from what I have seen nobody has mentioned it.  That's another raft of games that they will also want to finish given how keen they are to complete everything else.  Does it affect the Villa? maybe depending on when the games are played, whether some of these teams play weaker teams against us because they are playing in the cup a few days later especially with lack of fitness and amount of games being played plus for these teams it's their only chance of silverware this season.  Although winning the FA Cup with no crowd is going to be so weird.

The Draw

1 Sheffield United v Arsenal
Newcastle United v Manchester City
3 Norwich City v Manchester United
4 Leicester City v Chelsea

So has anybody heard if the FA Cup has been voided? and dont say if it hasnt then it should be, not with these money grabbing governing bodies.

Edited by nick76