Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

20 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

Germany has much lower infection rates,deaths and has much stricter guidelines for players.A player is not allowed to leave his house for any reason apart from playing football and training.This is going to minimise the risk of transmissions.

We on the other hand are going about it in a poorly managed way as has been typical of the whole Covid response.

I don’t think football should be resuming now but if it is why not have all players from each team stay in a hotel for 6 weeks and that reduces chance of spreading it to family members.

We are programmed to receive
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave

• Like 1

Pretends to be shocked

A number of Premier League players were made to wait for the green light to take part in training this week after returning inconclusive coronavirus tests.

A group from the top flight, believed to be eight and made up of players and staff, had to be re-tested after their first attempts failed to produce either a positive or negative outcome due to insufficient information on the swabs. 

With negative results required before any involvement in training was allowed they all had to be checked again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Good for jack, football will restart and it’s the teams with most players that are positive about playing that will do best. No point having players who don’t want to play. Just tell them to stay at home 

For everything that's at stake in terms of relegation and European places...the nonchalant attitude amazing me.  Relegation potentially could have such a disastrous impact on our future with so many clubs struggling to ever get back to the big time.   It's not even now, play or suffer ppg, it's play potentially handicapped for us and/or our relegation opponents.  Continues to be just a farce with massive consequences.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yes I know that but will the players agree to phase two or phase three.  Phase one is easy to agree to, basic training, isolated.  You seem to give the impression all was good.  A lot will depend on the virus stats over the next couple of weeks and then also if players are happy to go to phase two or three.  There is a long way to go before knowing if we are actually going to be playing games yet and players agreeing to playing those games.  The first phase is easy.

Yes, Phase One was agreed without the players having any say.

The next Phase is when they raise their concerns, allegedly four to six players from each team are not happy...

The Italian one is interesting, with UEFA reiterating that they think they'll have the European seasons finished by the end of August and Italy confirming they're looking to start the season on the 1st September, it looks like there's a convergence for 1st September across Europe.

I guess the question becomes how to you work that to your advantage? 

If you look at it as a season that runs from the end of June to the middle of May, do you rest players in the restart season or use it like a pre-season to get them fit? Do you start the process of rotation early or get through restart first?

For teams like Man City, this could be a 75 game season.

23 minutes ago, nick76 said:

For everything that's at stake in terms of relegation and European places...the nonchalant attitude amazing me.  Relegation potentially could have such a disastrous impact on our future with so many clubs struggling to ever get back to the big time.   It's not even now, play or suffer ppg, it's play potentially handicapped for us and/or our relegation opponents.  Continues to be just a farce with massive consequences.

But it’s just another business that has to get going, as said before the risks are lower than in many other work places 

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I guess the question becomes how to you work that to your advantage? 

If you look at it as a season that runs from the end of June to the middle of May, do you rest players in the restart season or use it like a pre-season to get them fit? Do you start the process of rotation early or get through restart first?

For teams like Man City, this could be a 75 game season.

The remainder of the season is only going to be relevant to the teams with something to play for more so than any normal season.  Once Liverpool win the league I bet they'll play their kids because they'll be do reprimand from the PL for playing weakened teams in this environment.  A hand full of teams will play weakened teams and players who are likely to be transferred or want to transfer will likely just refuse to play.  A resemblance to the first part of the season will be black and white.

Think I might back away from this site after today for a bit.........I just dont get it.

I probably wont 😭

With photographs of crowded beaches and parks, brought about by the recent sunshine and a cavalier approach to the likelihood of resultant infection, it looks increasingly likely that we will face a spike within weeks.A July restart might be prevented by that, if not by the players or the PFA.

• Like 2

I find it remarkable that the Championship is banking on players self-testing, this is a recipe for disaster.

Other protocols include:

• It is "recommended as few footballs and equipment used as possible"
  • "Tackling" and "any opposed activities" are prohibited
  • Equipment will be disinfected where necessary, including "cones, goalposts, mannequins, GPS units, balls and gloves"
  • PPE may be required, including "mask and gloves" when injured players enter the gym and "coaching staff will be asked to wear gloves during sessions"
  • Players are told not to "chat in groups" and will not be allowed to use ice baths, showers or have "non-essential treatment"
  • Players will have designated parking spaces, will have to arrive in their own kit and bring their own drinks and towels.
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

But it’s just another business that has to get going, as said before the risks are lower than in many other work places 

but it's not like any other business though is it.  The next few weeks can determine so much of this club.  If some (not in financial trouble) businesses dont open for a few more weeks, it wont mean for the next couple of years that their product offering would be so much weaker than it is now.  We arent a business that is opening now and offering significant weaker product.......oh you are used to 4K TV, so you need to pay the same for the TV but you only get black and white colouring and oh next season depending on how the next couple of weeks go because of farcical rules you may only get half the channels but not through the fault of your own.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The remainder of the season is only going to be relevant to the teams with something to play for more so than any normal season.  Once Liverpool win the league I bet they'll play their kids because they'll be do reprimand from the PL for playing weakened teams in this environment.  

I agree, to an extent - but if we're starting on 1st September, those players will need a pre-season so for Liverpool, there's a choice - do they bring the first team back for the last three games and use them as pre-season friendlies, or do you have the laughable situation where Liverpool's kids play someone in the Premier League at the same time as Liverpool's first team play a friendly with someone else?

For some teams, the whole of Project restart will most likely matter - teams like us. For some, only the beginning will matter and for others it won't matter too much at all. How it works as a pre-season will be important though - if we were to stay up and have Liverpool at Villa Park on the 1st September, they won't want to play a team that have nine hard games under their belt, are up and running, fit and sharp while they've done some light training - I could see Liverpool bringing first team players back in for the last couple of games.

It's going to be bizarre. It's not the end of 2019-20, it's very much a separate tournament that we'll add the results of to last season.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, John said:

With photographs of crowded beaches and parks, brought about by the recent sunshine and a cavalier approach to the likelihood of resultant infection, it looks increasingly likely that we will face a spike within weeks.A July restart might be prevented by that, if not by the players or the PFA.

I just went food shopping earlier, and while 2m distancing outside, there was nothing like that inside the shop and I swear only about 5 of us had masks on and only a couple of us had gloves on.  The shop was as packed like it used to be and everybody was bumping each other.

This infection is going to have a big second wave if that is consistent across the country.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I agree, to an extent - but if we're starting on 1st September, those players will need a pre-season so for Liverpool, there's a choice - do they bring the first team back for the last three games and use them as pre-season friendlies, or do you have the laughable situation where Liverpool's kids play someone in the Premier League at the same time as Liverpool's first team play a friendly with someone else?

For some teams, the whole of Project restart will most likely matter - teams like us. For some, only the beginning will matter and for others it won't matter too much at all. How it works as a pre-season will be important though - if we were to stay up and have Liverpool at Villa Park on the 1st September, they won't want to play a team that have nine hard games under their belt, are up and running, fit and sharp while they've done some light training - I could see Liverpool bringing first team players back in for the last couple of games.

It's going to be bizarre. It's not the end of 2019-20, it's very much a separate tournament that we'll add the results of to last season.

10 game weeks left if it tarts June 19th probably finishes league start of August. If we are relegated its too short a window for a rebuild of any sorts for Championship. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

10 game weeks left if it tarts June 19th probably finishes league start of August. If we are relegated its too short a window for a rebuild of any sorts for Championship. 

There will be gaps in that for the FA Cup and possibly for the Champions league I think. The schedule when we see it will be really interesting.

I guess they'll release that once they have approval for the next stage from government?

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There will be gaps in that for the FA Cup and possibly for the Champions league I think. The schedule when we see it will be really interesting.

I guess they'll release that once they have approval for the next stage from government?

International break generally at the end of August, wonder how they’ll fit that in.  Maybe Home Nation game of some kind.  They’ll want money from that.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I just went food shopping earlier, and while 2m distancing outside, there was nothing like that inside the shop and I swear only about 5 of us had masks on and only a couple of us had gloves on.  The shop was as packed like it used to be and everybody was bumping each other.

This infection is going to have a big second wave if that is consistent across the country.

It’s been like that in my ASDA since the start of the outbreak and the staff are the worst culprits. When you have a problem at the self service checkout they come up right next to you and no mask either. They don’t wipe the card payments things down after every use either. The roads by me are busier than ever. Got to believe herd immunity is working because infection rates are coming down 

I've said before, that if there is to be any "integrity" whatsoever, in how this season is played out and in how relegation is to be determined, then the PL need to bring in a rule that prevents teams that are on the beach, fielding seriously weakened teams.

Of course they won't, they don't really care who goes down, as long as someone does and they get their television money. Relegation will be decided by how bothered the opponents of relegation threatened clubs are, about their games against them. 

Edited by John
  • Like 2

Accept the situation as it is and try to work it as best you can. Whether you agree or not, football is starting back up. We’ve all been told that “no relegations” is not an option, so let’s get on with backing ourselves to play  our way to safety. No Villa fan should be “not bothered” about relegation, or reliant on stopping the restart to save us from relegation. We are where we are now, it’s game on time again. We have to save ourselves on the pitch, so let’s get behind the team and make sure that they ALL understand the importance of being ultra ready for that 1st game back. 

• Like 2