Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

13 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Seeing all the PL spin doctors on TV is quite sickening. I particularly find it galling how they are pushing a piece on how the testing company has the capacity to do the 1000's of tests a week so it's all ok but with no mention of the Government still not able to hit their testing targets for those who need them by quite some margin. It's also odd how when the virus first hit just a handful of cases among players was the reason for football being cancelled and here we are now with six cases off just 1 test and all of a sudden that's good as 99% are therefore ok! Bizarre.

Might help Hancock reach his figures! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The problem is that it’s going the opposite way with more games because in turn that means more money.  Expanded European competitions From straight out knock to modern day Champions League, International tournaments including more teams, Pre and Post season club tournaments rather than friendlies.

Yeah I know it is going the wrong way man, thats partly my point. Instead of rushing to get back on that same road this is the perfect time to ask; what are the long term consequences of continuing that path and is that really where we want to go? 

7 minutes ago, trom_borg said:

Yeah I know it is going the wrong way man, thats partly my point. Instead of rushing to get back on that same road this is the perfect time to ask; what are the long term consequences of continuing that path and is that really where we want to go? 

I think their answer is yes, this is the way they want to go.  Not me, I agree with you but remember how many different parties are involved in this that want their slice of the pie from FIFA, UEFA, FA, PL, Clubs, EFL.....they want more and more.  Thinking of new ways to add more games, more exposure to create more wealth.  The people who run football are the wrong people to answer your question but they control the game, I just expect it to grow and expand.  We know how greedy they are by all the games that have been missed because of this cruel pandemic they still want to play. 

Do the governing bodies look at this as a time to reflect, a time for not football....no they are throwing people back into the mix too early, taking tests away from front line workers and want every match that was scheduled to be played to now be played and next season to completed fully.  Does that seem like the right rational given what the world has/is going through? of course not. 

It's a sad indictment on football what we are currently seeing.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, nick76 said:

taking tests away from front line workers

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11990938/premier-league-player-coronavirus-testing-causing-no-strain-on-nhs-says-prenetics

"Premier League are not preventing people from testing for coronavirus, the company conducting the tests has stressed. Prenetics is providing at least 1,600 tests a week to assist clubs with a return to training during the global pandemic."

"I can categorically say that the testing we're undertaking, the process we're undertaking from everything related to PPE [personal protective equipment] to the swabs to the actual laboratory analytical process, is not taking away from NHS resources at all," Avi Lasarow, Prenetics Chief Executive, told Sky Sports News."

"We work with UK-accredited laboratories, within our consortium, and the capacity which is being made available for employers to take testing for their employees, does not impinge whatsoever on NHS capability."

"The testing contract, worth around £4m, has been approved by the government and paid for by the Premier League at no cost to the UK taxpayer."

6 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I would love to think that this is the wake up call that football needs that the financial model upon which it is built is deeply deeply flawed, and that a complete overhaul and rationalisation of wages and % of wage costs to revenue is needed. it wont but it would be nice

The salaries make me sick, the lack of a buffer for a crisis like this is poor risk management, the speed with which the clubs were prepared to dump their lower paid staff was concerning, and the willingness to send the players back to playing in an unsafe environment for no other reason than revenue protection is particularly sinister

the only change we will see come from this is having set rules within the PL rulebook as to what happens if the season is unable to be completed so that clubs know the score before they start the season i.e. PPG being used etc

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John said:

I think that I may have heard that it was being played over one weekend at Wembley, with Arsenal, Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea being given a bye into the last four by the television companies because the viewing figures would be higher with them in it. The final will be played at midnight to accommodate viewers in different time zones and there is talk of Liverpool being given an invitation to play the winners, the following weekend in what will be named, "a gala cup football shoot out." 

No, I'm sorry I haven't heard (it has been dead to me since Round 3).....:D  

I'm saving this post!  You just know some numpty will read this and think this is a good idea, spread it to the FA executives and before you know it, one weekend in July a 'Festival of FA Cup Football' will happen and closely resemble your funny idea.  It will be marketed as an uplift to the nation with the greatest cup competition ever.  New football shirts that will be sold to supporters for this special occasion even though they cant go to games, it will be charged as a main event for fans on the tv for some ridiculous price and be hailed as something great post the virus pandemic (even though the pandemic is not over). 

Edited by nick76
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11990938/premier-league-player-coronavirus-testing-causing-no-strain-on-nhs-says-prenetics

"Premier League are not preventing people from testing for coronavirus, the company conducting the tests has stressed. Prenetics is providing at least 1,600 tests a week to assist clubs with a return to training during the global pandemic."

"I can categorically say that the testing we're undertaking, the process we're undertaking from everything related to PPE [personal protective equipment] to the swabs to the actual laboratory analytical process, is not taking away from NHS resources at all," Avi Lasarow, Prenetics Chief Executive, told Sky Sports News."

"We work with UK-accredited laboratories, within our consortium, and the capacity which is being made available for employers to take testing for their employees, does not impinge whatsoever on NHS capability."

"The testing contract, worth around £4m, has been approved by the government and paid for by the Premier League at no cost to the UK taxpayer."

1) that is a flawed argument to start with.  The fact they have tests available means those tests could be used for NHS workers rather than footballers when we are still short of tests for first responders.

2) you still haven’t responded to my solution from yesterday.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

1) that is a flawed argument to start with.

It's not an argument

If the NHS workers needs testing they have got the resources to do so. The Premier League isn't taking away anything. Maybe you should read the article properly

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

It’s a flawed statement/comment/analysis then

I think you have already made your mind up and it's pointless to try convincing you in a restart.

That's fine. The league will try to finish with or without your support and Villa will have a great chance to stay up.

We shouldn't swallow this desperate PR.

The man in charge of the Premier League’s £4 million Covid-19 testing programme agreed to a suspended $58,623.42 [£47,830] penalty to settle a civil court action in the United States in which he was accused of making “deceptive health claims” for a medical app his company marketed.

Avi Lasarow, 43, a South African-born, British-based businessman, who is the chief executive of Prenetics, the Premier League’s test provider, settled the civil claim with a US government regulator in 2015 that alleged “unfair or deceptive acts” over a group of apps. The apps purported to be able assess the risk of skin moles for melanomas, a type of skin cancer, by analysing pictures of them taken on a smartphone camera and other inputted information

Edited by The_Steve
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think you have already made your mind up and it's pointless to try convincing you in a restart.

That's fine. The league will try to finish with or without your support and Villa will have a great chance to stay up.

Personally think we have more chance if it don't start.

Funny you think Smith is so useless, but now think we have a great chance of staying up.

If you want my view, Smith has struggled his ass off to motivate and get this team consistent. So I very much doubt he will have what it takes to motivate us to stay up in the current situation, an you ain't getting the best out of Grealish these last few games, not a chance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Rose is an idiot.

Everyone else have to get back to work in less protected environments.

Crap footballer. No one will miss him if he doesn't turn up.

The Guinee Pig thing is pathetic 

18 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I agree my mind wont be changed but again you deflect from the conversation.  Are you sure you arent a Trump supporter? if the conversation isnt going your way you change the subject or deflect.  Cant you at admit that that statement for the tests you quoted above is flawed.  Forget about footballing restarting, which you've deflected to.... the logic/statement/comment, whatever you want to call is flawed in what it is saying?

Edited by nick76

More on the man in charge of providing the Premier League with coronavirus tests

Avrom Lasarow has settled FTC charges in connection with the so-called “Mole Detective” family of apps. He and his company, L Health Ltd., allegedly advertised the apps online, where they sold in the Apple and Google app stores for up to $4.99.

“We haven’t found any scientific evidence that Mole Detective can accurately assess melanoma risk,” said Jessica Rich, Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection. “If you’re concerned that a mole may be cancerous, please see a health professional.”

Lasarow and his company took over marketing the Mole Detective app in August 2012, after it was originally developed and marketed by Kristi Kimball and her company, New Consumer Solutions LLC, and added derivative apps like “Mole Detect Pro.”

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Personally think we have more chance if it don't start.

Funny you think Smith is so useless, but now think we have a great chance of staying up.

If you want my view, Smith has struggled his ass off to motivate and get this team consistent. So I very much doubt he will have what it takes to motivate us to stay up in the current situation, an you ain't getting the best out of Grealish these last few games, not a chance.

You don't think McGinn being back coupled with the fact that Watford and Bournemouth possibly missing King and Deeney will improve our chances?

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You don't think McGinn being back coupled with the fact that Watford and Bournemouth possibly missing King and Deeney will improve our chances?

Problem with that is our first game is Chelsea who had Kante and Abraham injured but now fit , so yes McGinn back is a bonus for us but other teams will get the same boost.

On Watford as good as deeney is for them Sarr is the one you would want to be missing for them

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree my mind wont be changed but again you deflect from the conversation.  Are you sure you arent a Trump supporter? if the conversation isnt going your way you change the subject or deflect.  Cant you at admit that that statement for the tests you quoted above is flawed.  Forget about footballing restarting, which you've deflected to.... the logic/statement/comment, whatever you want to call is flawed in what it is saying?

No it isn't flawed. The NHS workers can take all the tests they want if they need to. Premier League isn't taking away anything from them.

You seem dead set on voiding. I'm not dead set on restarting. I want to see how thing progresses in June/July. But of course i would preferred the season to finish, but if it can't it can't and i would have to accept it.

If we still can't play in August we would have to end the season, but it will be ended not voided.

Edited by villalad21