Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

46 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I agree, to an extent - but if we're starting on 1st September, those players will need a pre-season so for Liverpool, there's a choice - do they bring the first team back for the last three games and use them as pre-season friendlies, or do you have the laughable situation where Liverpool's kids play someone in the Premier League at the same time as Liverpool's first team play a friendly with someone else?

For some teams, the whole of Project restart will most likely matter - teams like us. For some, only the beginning will matter and for others it won't matter too much at all. How it works as a pre-season will be important though - if we were to stay up and have Liverpool at Villa Park on the 1st September, they won't want to play a team that have nine hard games under their belt, are up and running, fit and sharp while they've done some light training - I could see Liverpool bringing first team players back in for the last couple of games.

It's going to be bizarre. It's not the end of 2019-20, it's very much a separate tournament that we'll add the results of to last season.

Withe the 5 subs now it will almost be like preseason so teams with nothing to play for like Liverpool will act like preseason , start game with one team then sub half  off in 2nd half , so then you get situation where fh you get the first team 2nd half the kids..

I've read Italy might have a transfer window as clubs need to sort out accounts for the year in June so need a window to sell to balance books.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It’s been like that in my ASDA since the start of the outbreak and the staff are the worst culprits. When you have a problem at the self service checkout they come up right next to you and no mask either. They don’t wipe the card payments things down after every use either. The roads by me are busier than ever. Got to believe herd immunity is working because infection rates are coming down 

Guess we’ll see over the coming weeks and months.  For me it’s the last 10 days I’ve seen a dramatic change locally to me.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Guess we’ll see over the coming weeks and months.  For me it’s the last 10 days I’ve seen a dramatic change locally to me.

I Hope and pray that the trend keeps going downwards and we can get back to some normality soon 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

For me, the motivation that will affect results isn't with players, it's at club level.

Salah, Mane, Van Dijk and co will most likely be incredibly motivated on their return, the qualities that have taken them to the top of the game will ensure that they are motivated to win in the restart  - but at club level, if they win two games, they're Champions and once they're Champions, there's nothing to gain and lots of risk in letting them play - once they've won the title, Jurgen will put them in cotton wool ready for the new season.

When I think about the season being dependent on who cares most and on who is motivated, I'm thinking about clubs that won't want to risk their prize assets with extra football that doesn't gain them anything - Man City, Liverpool, Leicester, maybe some of the mid table clubs, Norwich if they lose their first two or three might switch off. 

How motivated players are might not matter if they're taken out of the picture

Surely it's the same in any normal season though? When Liverpool reached the CL final in 2007 they put out a virtual reserve team at Fulham. Fulham won that 1-0 and stayed up two points above Sheffield United who had to play Liverpool full strength in the previous months.

In 2009 on the day Newcastle went down at VP I can remember Man. United putting out a reserve team at Hull as they had the euro final three days later (they still won 1-0).

Sure there's loads of other examples in last few seasons, in that Sherwood run in we played Everton and West Ham at home who were both comfortably top half but both were slow to the 50/50s and it clearly meant more to us from those who were watching the games.

If Liverpool want to put out a team only a bit more stronger than their league cup attempt that's fine by me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I went for a walk in the Park yesterday was  just like a normal hot day , big group of people playing cricket with people sat watching.Groups of people with tables and chairs sat drinking. Shop wise the small Tesco's have signs up for distancing but no people manning the door counting who goes in and offering hand sanitiser 

Just now, VillaChris said:

Surely it's the same in any normal season though? When Liverpool reached the CL final in 2007 they put out a virtual reserve team at Fulham. Fulham won that 1-0 and stayed up two points above Sheffield United who had to play Liverpool full strength in the previous months.

In 2009 on the day Newcastle went down at VP I can remember Man. United putting out a reserve team at Hull as they had the euro final three days later (they still won 1-0).

Sure there's loads of other examples in last few seasons, in that Sherwood run in we played Everton and West Ham at home who were both comfortably top half but both were slow to the 50/50s and it clearly meant more to us from those who were watching the games.

If Liverpool want to put out a team only a bit more stronger than their league cup attempt that's fine by me.

Yeah I can live with that when we play them 😜

• Like 1

It's worth remembering this Liverpool 11 beat a full strength Everton in the FA cup not so long ago (although Everton have massive mentality issue whenever they play Liverpool):

Adrian

Williams

Phillips

Gomez

Milner

Lallana

Chrivella

Jones

Elliott

Minamino

Origi

Obviously Man. City would beat that about 5-0 but it would give pretty much all the bottom half teams tough games particularly on home environment.

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

I find it remarkable that the Championship is banking on players self-testing, this is a recipe for disaster.

Other protocols include:

• It is "recommended as few footballs and equipment used as possible"
  • "Tackling" and "any opposed activities" are prohibited
  • Equipment will be disinfected where necessary, including "cones, goalposts, mannequins, GPS units, balls and gloves"
  • PPE may be required, including "mask and gloves" when injured players enter the gym and "coaching staff will be asked to wear gloves during sessions"
  • Players are told not to "chat in groups" and will not be allowed to use ice baths, showers or have "non-essential treatment"
  • Players will have designated parking spaces, will have to arrive in their own kit and bring their own drinks and towels.

Most of that is what premier league are doing (and other leagues in europe looking to restart) but yeah the players self-testing sounds a bit dodgy. If I had to get tested eventually I'd rather go to a drive thru and get an expert swabbing me rather than a DIY kit sent to my home.

I still think championship season will be frozen, top 2 up and then 3-6 will just play off in whatever way.

VIlla and the other bottom clubs should drag their heels at every opportunity. Do everything to sabotage project restart. 

If they can get through another 6 weeks that will be enough. Maradonna used a fake penis to circumvent drugs tests for years. I suggest Smith plays dirty and ensure premier league action next season by adopting Dirty Diego's fake it till you make it strategy.

The old "fag lighter trick" on the thermometer measuring the temperature of the players,  if this is not feasible breathing techniques used by tibetan monks visulising flames at the base of their spines can be utilised.

Henri Lansbury can borrow my sisters proven method to get sent home from any job early. Go in without any make up on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, nick76 said:

International break generally at the end of August, wonder how they’ll fit that in.  Maybe Home Nation game of some kind.  They’ll want money from that.

Don't think they'll be any breaks in September and October for uefa/fifa games. They want to catch up in November and December I think when possibly more long range travel restrictions will be lifted.

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

What's different is how close this season will be to next season - it's going to make things much more pronounced.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Don't think they'll be any breaks in September and October for uefa/fifa games. They want to catch up in November and December I think when possibly more long range travel restrictions will be lifted.

Might be wiser then to do it in the new year and align with the AFCON so big players aren’t missing for so many PL games.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Henry winter at it on twitter, season must be decided on the pitch, even if that means teams playing with slightly weaker sides

Sad indictment of football 

They are stenographers for the PL. Journalists should be critical and not accept it so readily. I have nothing but respect for the players refusing to train on health grounds.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Might be wiser then to do it in the new year and align with the AFCON so big players aren’t missing for so many PL games.

I thought they moved AFCON to summer now?

If it is in January that's probably a good idea so one Uefa/Fifa won't even think of!

It is going to be a very quick turnaround between end of this (if it is completed which is still unlikely) and start of next season. Still think we simply won't get a normal fixture list and at least one competition will have to be cut.

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I'm not sure how that will fit with the commitment to World Cup qualifiers - with the Euros in the summer and the Nations Cup in the Autumn of 2021 - they'll struggle to fit in more than the 13 World Cup qualifying games.

EFL confirm Relegation from all 3 leagues will go ahead even if season not finished 

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/may/efl-statement-coronavirus-update2

5. The principle of relegation across all three divisions is integral to the integrity of the pyramid, from the Premier League down to the National League, provided we have assurances that the National League will start season 2020/21 (i.e. the relegated Club in League Two has somewhere to play).

Edited by Nabby
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nabby said:

EFL confirm Relegation from all 3 leagues will go ahead even if season not finished 

This ☝️

One or two here need to get their head around the fact that relegation will happen, complete season or not. We must get ourselves out of the bottom 3 ASAP, by playing and winning points. That is our only hope. Accept it, quickly.