Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Majority of footballers will want to get back into swing of things like much of the population, of course we all accept normal life has to be on hold given the seriousness of the situation of last two months but eventually we'll all have to get out there and live with the virus unless some form of cure/treatment is available. We can't be locked indoors until September ultimately.

That dosen't mean I don't have understanding of the likes of Deeney not wanting to get back at this point with more information and reassurance needed.

• Like 2

Just listened to Chris Wilder on sky sports.. He said his players have kept themselves super fit and they are up and ready and raring for the season to restart. It is not going to be an easy game against them.  I reckon they could easily make the top 4 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

Well then let's just hope our players have also kept themselves super fit too! Anyway, damn, I was hoping that this month the Sheffield United players might "have mostly been eating Bourbon biscuits", ordering takeaway pizza nearly every night, watching lots of TV box sets and doing very little exercise. ☹️

• Like 1

For me, the motivation that will affect results isn't with players, it's at club level.

Salah, Mane, Van Dijk and co will most likely be incredibly motivated on their return, the qualities that have taken them to the top of the game will ensure that they are motivated to win in the restart  - but at club level, if they win two games, they're Champions and once they're Champions, there's nothing to gain and lots of risk in letting them play - once they've won the title, Jurgen will put them in cotton wool ready for the new season.

When I think about the season being dependent on who cares most and on who is motivated, I'm thinking about clubs that won't want to risk their prize assets with extra football that doesn't gain them anything - Man City, Liverpool, Leicester, maybe some of the mid table clubs, Norwich if they lose their first two or three might switch off. 

How motivated players are might not matter if they're taken out of the picture

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PaulC said:

Just listened to Chris Wilder on sky sports.. He said his players have kept themselves super fit and they are up and ready and raring for the season to restart. It is not going to be an easy game against them.  I reckon they could easily make the top 4 

Don't expect anything less of a Wilder team 

9 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Just seen Kante isn’t training now given compassionate leave according to the telegraph

Sounds like he lost his dad and his brother to heart and lung things as well as having health scares himself, started training yesterday, wasn't right in the head and has been sent home 

That story will be viewed very differently to deeneys but its the same thing 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I hope a tonne of players refuse to play or train and the whole ‘project restart’ becomes a total farce.

The training pictures from various clubs on Twitter yesterday shows that the vast majority are buzzing to be back

The vast majorities of players and staff wants to get back and i think that's great. 1-2 players per club refusing to train won't stop football. Norwich had 9 injuries early on in the season and could still line up a team. Premier League teams specifically build big squads to cope with players being out.

Good thing for us is we've got no one refusing to train. We pretty much have a full squad to choose from (Apart from Heaton and Wesley)

Edited by villalad21

17 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I hope a tonne of players refuse to play or train and the whole ‘project restart’ becomes a total farce.

I have never agreed with you so much!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The training pictures from various clubs on Twitter yesterday shows that the vast majority are buzzing to be back

The vast majorities of players and staff wants to get back and i think that's great. 1-2 players per club refusing to train won't stop football. Norwich had 9 injuries early on in the season and could still line up a team. Premier League teams specifically build big squads to cope with players being out.

Good thing for us is we've got no one refusing to train. We pretty much have a full squad to choose from (Apart from Heaton and Wesley)

Training and playing games is very different.  Everybody wants to get out the house daily, especially with facilities like footballers have but mixing, tackling, games and exposure we’ll have to see.  At the moment they aren’t mixing with anybody really, it’s isolated training.

Your premise that one leads to another may not necessarily be true.  

Edited by nick76

23 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Do we actually know that no one is refusing to train for us? From what I've seen Villa have put out pictures of about half a dozen players who we can be sure are training. Given the rumours from a couple of weeks ago, it's interesting that John McGinn hasn't featured in any of the pictures shown.

Obviously I can't say that anybody is refusing to train but I'm equally not sure that you can state that no one is refusing to train with any certainty given the circumstances. Apologies if I've missed something where it's been confirmed that everyone is back and happy to train.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Do we actually know that no one is refusing to train for us? From what I've seen Villa have put out pictures of about half a dozen players who we can be sure are training. Given the rumours from a couple of weeks ago, it's interesting that John McGinn hasn't featured in any of the pictures shown.

Obviously I can't say that anybody is refusing to train but I'm equally not sure that you can state that no one is refusing to train with any certainty given the circumstances. Apologies if I've missed something where it's been confirmed that everyone is back and happy to train.

McGinn being out would be disastrous for us. At least his bud is glad to be back :)

The current Serie A campaign will be completed by August 20 to allow a new season to start on September 1 - 12 days turnaround 

August 31st is the transfer deadline for the new season 

Edited by rbcuk

30 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Not all allowed in at same time so McGinn might be in today 

Matt Ritchies has described training with the ball as ''disguised running''  training at moment amounts to running drills and dribbling a ball around obstacle's 

Players and managers saying that they’re buzzing to be back, can’t wait to start and have kept super fit etc. is exactly what you’d expect to hear. Releasing pictures of enthusiastic training sessions is just what they always do.

The truth I would imagine ranges from McGinn type enthusiasm to win a 50:50 and my enthusiasm to watch a rerun of our FA Cup final against Arsenal. Probably the latter being in the majority. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yes, it's still phase 1 bud

Yes I know that but will the players agree to phase two or phase three.  Phase one is easy to agree to, basic training, isolated.  You seem to give the impression all was good.  A lot will depend on the virus stats over the next couple of weeks and then also if players are happy to go to phase two or three.  There is a long way to go before knowing if we are actually going to be playing games yet and players agreeing to playing those games.  The first phase is easy.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

McGinn being out would be disastrous for us. At least his bud is glad to be back :)

Good for jack, football will restart and it’s the teams with most players that are positive about playing that will do best. No point having players who don’t want to play. Just tell them to stay at home