Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Bundesliga starts in 4 days, let's see how it goes. I'm excited to finally watch a footie game again!

If it goes well there i see no reasons why we can't use the same blueprint they will leave behind. I'm not saying now. But somewhere down the line in June.

Premier League will just get more and more desperate once witnessing all the traffic the Bundesliga will receive.

Well don’t hold your breath! It ain’t going to happen.

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I hope you're wrong.

I used to hope I was wrong but anything they put on now is going to be a farce, rushed, risky and not the football we love so I don’t care either way.  

Finish this season now and spend time planning for next season properly, get full buy in by everybody and we play when safe and BCD.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If all the players + staff is corona tested and there is literally no chance of infection we still can't play because of.. reasons?

Sadly not true. The test produces false negatives of 3 of every 10 i.e. if you have 10 people who definitely have the virus, three of the tests will still come back saying they don't. The test is in no way a failsafe way of assuring that a group of players is virus free, it helps but inevitably the virus wills slip through even with testing.

31 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If all the players + staff is corona tested and there is literally no chance of infection we still can't play because of.. reasons?

1. If all the staff and players are tested then those tests aren't available for the key workers...you know, those people keeping the country running and other people alive. If they can guarantee those people all get a test before footballers then sure.

2. Is it possible to say there would be "literally no chance of infection"? If that were possible we wouldn't have a pandemic at all.

My Mrs is pregnant right now and due in July. I'm currently working from home but if my work told me to go in or go to a clients etc right now I'd be telling them no because I won't risk bringing anything home. I expect there will be footballers who have vulnerable people at home too. Is it right to ask them to train and play? How many first team members of a squad is it ok to lose before the integrity of the competition is compromised? What happens when a player ina squad tests positive and the whole squad goes into lockdown for 2 weeks? Is it more than 2 weeks? What about their recent opponents? Do they lock down too?

At the end of the day, it's a game. It's worth a lot of money but it's still a game. Any non-essential reason to congregate in numbers is a risk. They can minimise it but they can't rule it out and that makes it irresponsible when everyone else is being told to stay at home.

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I used to hope I was wrong but anything they put on now is going to be a farce, rushed, risky and not the football we love so I don’t care either way.  

Finish this season now and spend time planning for next season properly, get full buy in by everybody and we play when safe and BCD.

That kind of common sense seems to be in short supply in the big leagues though. The way the UK gov has handled it means that you are way off controlling the transmission rate, and already easing lax lockdown measures isn't going to help that. Germany have handled it best in terms of knowing where the infections are and continue to test at an amazing rate. Here in Italy it's been more draconian but with way less resources than the UK and Germany it's probably the only thing that would have worked as well as it has, I still don't think we're ready for football though here, not safely though at any rate in the north and it's the money up there that is the big push to play. That is what will win out in the big leagues, the big money. There's too much of it about, loads of people seem to think looking after the money ismore important than hundreds of thousands of dead people. It's mental.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

What if everything goes well in Germany?

I put it at 50:50 restarting here. The death rates are still very high but were down 25% last week and things may look a lot different in a  months time. 

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We'll just have to watch and learn how Germany does it. They'll make the blueprint for us all.

You could step out from football and say that about the virus in general... 

Honest, German people just aren't as stupid as the brits, there's no new years eve style red rag to a bull drinking sessions here due to the pubs reopening its just going back to normal slowly, the levels of common sense and patience are a lot higher 

English people will do it to themselves, when the PL returns and the pubs reopen there will be a larger spike in the virus than there is here 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Does anyone know where PPG would put us if we had won our game in hand against Sheff Utd? Would it make difference?

Sorry if this has already been covered.

We would be safe in every scenario if we were to win that game. 

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That's a big if.

The blades are very good

except they have dropped points to Bournemouth, Watford, Newcastle, West Ham and Brighton this season

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The Premier League is aware the pace of the league? Even if players reduce, how are you going to turn your head in time? What a dumb piece of advice. 

Don't worry they can practice tackling in training......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52635005

Tackling will be banned, pitches disinfected and players restricted to groups of five when the Premier League starts a first phase of team training.

Official protocols sent to players and managers on Tuesday and obtained by the BBC reveal that social distancing must be "strictly observed".

Corner-flags, balls, cones, goalposts and even playing surfaces will be disinfected after each session.

League bosses hope training can begin on Monday, restricted to 75 minutes.

Ongoing surveillance measures included in further guidance include twice-weekly testing, and a daily pre-training questionnaire and temperature check.

Under a section titled 'health screening', players are also told a central register of Covid-19 test results (subject to their consent and Professional Footballers' Association agreement) will need to be maintained.

Recommended "control measures" include "meticulous personal hygiene and use of PPE [personal protective equipment], no congregation in communal areas, including but not limited to medical rooms and gym areas".

Under further stringent rules, players are told they cannot share transport with anyone to and from the training ground, and vehicle interiors should be cleaned regularly. Team vehicles and public transport should not be used.

Players are being consulted on proposed medical protocols for a return to training by the PFA. They have been given a condensed version of a 40-page document for them to digest.

The BBC understands the PFA has heard from a number of players, especially those who have underlying health conditions like asthma or who are from black and minority ethnic (Bame) backgrounds, that they have real concerns about returning to playing.

Black men and women are nearly twice as likely to die with coronavirus as white people in England and Wales, according to the Office for National Statistics.

On Wednesday, there will be a meeting between players, the Premier League, medical staff and the PFA, who will give their concerns and opinions as will the players.

...or not ...

• Like 1

I don't know whether this has been discussed previously, but another negative of broadcasting 'behind closed doors' PL matches live, is the 'fan herd mentality'. How many tens of thousands of fans around the country will arrange to watch their beloved team in company with a group of their mates at someone's home. "We'll bring the beer, you lay on some snacks and we'll cheer the lads on together"! 

Sensibly it shouldn't happen, but I think we all know how many lads there are out there who can't watch football on their own, and see football and beer with their mates as a tribal thing. 

14 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I don't know whether this has been discussed previously, but another negative of broadcasting 'behind closed doors' PL matches live, is the 'fan herd mentality'. How many tens of thousands of fans around the country will arrange to watch their beloved team in company with a group of their mates at someone's home. "We'll bring the beer, you lay on some snacks and we'll cheer the lads on together"! 

You really think this will be a problem? Do you think fans are that dumb?

When this happened in Paris in the game against Dortmund you have to remember this virus wasn't being taken that seriously yet.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

When this happened in Paris in the game against Dortmund you have to remember this virus wasn't being taken that seriously yet.

Maybe you’ve been in San Fran too long but yes that will happen....a lot!

It’s already started to happen for other things so will for this.

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yes and Yes 

• Like 2