Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

As things stand, yes.

If that’s the case how can football clubs survive. Players contracts won’t honoured many clubs including villa could go bankrupt 

Things are bleak, people still doesn't seem to grasp how serious it is.

It really is down to how many lives are people willing to risk or sacrifice so that for example Burton Albion or Grimsby Town can survive.

• Like 2

It doesn’t make a scrap of difference whether Clubs will go bankrupt. Just like it doesn’t make a scrap of difference if the Pub, or the Cinema, or the Builders Merchant go bankrupt. 

If the illness is severe enough, that’s what will happen. If it isn’t severe enough, it won’t.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Things are bleak, people still doesn't seem to grasp how serious it is.

It really is down to how many lives are people willing to risk or sacrifice so that for example Burton Albion or Grimsby Town can survive.

Yup.

In all respects, Premier League or anything else, it all boils down to the severity of the disease.

None of us know for certain how bad it will be,  but it is how bad it will be that will define everything else. 

Or to put it another way, at one end of the scale we have events that barely affect life. Far across at the other extreme we have existential threats.

It would be just as daft to suggest football ( or anything else) would carry on under the latter as it would to suggest it should stop for the former. So the reality is just a question of where we are on that scale, and the debate is a function of where we as individuals think we are or might be on that scale. 

So, yes, if things are bad enough ( whatever that looks like) it will impact accordingly.

• Like 1

This season looks a write off , I would not relegate from any league - promote and expand leagues and sort out the numerics next season

Next season is 4 months away lets see where we are with the Virus then , many countries are opening up and treatments are still being assessed.I suspect they will be BCD's etc wich if the season starts like that and maintains those rules or stipulates from the start fans can re-enter at a safe point and clubs agree then that seems reasonable to me 

14 minutes ago, terrytini said:

It doesn’t make a scrap of difference whether Clubs will go bankrupt. Just like it doesn’t make a scrap of difference if the Pub, or the Cinema, or the Builders Merchant go bankrupt. 

If the illness is severe enough, that’s what will happen. If it isn’t severe enough, it won’t.

Yes Terry just heard on pm questions that London buses weee packed today. The R rate is going to go back up at this rate

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nabby said:

This season looks a write off , I would not relegate from any league - promote and expand leagues and sort out the numerics next season

Next season is 4 months away lets see where we are with the Virus then , many countries are opening up and treatments are still being assessed.I suspect they will be BCD's etc wich if the season starts like that and maintains those rules or stipulates from the start fans can re-enter at a safe point and clubs agree then that seems reasonable to me 

Only 3 months away actually but yeah, would be folly to try and finish this season in the PL.

That's another thing, just because the might be able to finish the season in Germany or Portugal (doubt it) doesn't mean it will be possible in England.

Countries and regions are hit more or less hard by this and England are right up there among the worst. If it wasn't for the absurd money in the PL no one would be daring enough to suggest finishing it.

29 minutes ago, TRO said:

As you can imagine, I totally refute those claims.

This pandemic like world war 2 requires support and togetherness to defeat it. Its not a us and them, questioning is fine, its the manner of it.....and party politics should not be involved.

Absolutely entitled to your opinion, but the original poster is also entitled to his and IF he is even correct about half of what he is saying, then politely asking a failing Government to admit to its catastrophic mistakes and then change their actions isn't likely to achieve much is it?

Millions of people marched against Brexit and this lot didn't even acknowledge the march had taken place. Forget who is right or wrong about that pile of crap, because that question IS irrelevant, but what isn't is the attitude behind Brexit and this current brand of Tories, who are beholden to their paymasters and have been forming policy throughout this crisis on the hoof, with those paymasters constantly in their ear. 

So yes, the same applies to PL and project restart, it's political alright, which is why it's also perfectly right to question the money first greed we can all see playing itself out.

Things change, our focus should adapt too. If businesses go bust that's just the way it is.

It's sad that people will lose their jobs because a football club goes bankrupt however people lose their jobs everyday.

The most important thing in life is your health, this crusade that the football authorities have to give us football back is dangerous, reckless and greedy.

I haven't missed football at all, a year or two break might be a good thing. Then we will see what remains.

55 minutes ago, TRO said:

As you can imagine, I totally refute those claims.

This pandemic like world war 2 requires support and togetherness to defeat it. Its not a us and them, questioning is fine, its the manner of it.....and party politics should not be involved.

Yes they made mistakes but this is unprecedented and they have tried to help everybody even providing temporary accommodation for the homeless as well as increasing universal credit by £100 a month. They are doing their best. Piers Morgan is only interested in blowing his own trumpet.

We should absolutely refuse to play on neutral grounds. You cant change the rules halfway through a competition. I would rather get relegated than dance to the beat of these greedy bastards' drum.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

We should absolutely refuse to play on neutral grounds. You cant change the rules halfway through a competition. I would rather get relegated than dance to the beat of these greedy bastards' drum.

I agree.

Neutral grounds is a crappy idea.

31 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Millions of people marched against Brexit and this lot didn't even acknowledge the march had taken place. Forget who is right or wrong about that pile of crap, because that question IS irrelevant, but what isn't is the attitude behind Brexit and this current brand of Tories,

Not trying to get political, but those marches were literally all over the news, all the time, if there were 5 people gathering saying stop Brexit the media were all over it.

The media even went as far as inflating the numbers of the marches.

But, even if there were 2 million people marching, I dont see your point, 17+ million people voted for Brexit, are you saying it should have been stopped because of 2 million people marching about it? 

Do we live in a democracy?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, PaulC said:

You made the argument Nick that transfers fees would go up rather than down yet no football for the foreseeable future. Without revenue no club is going to be spending big on players despite what OGS says 

because they borrow from the future, transfer fees are already spread over time and are very rarely paid at the time of purchase.  So many of the top clubs owe each other money from transfers over the last few seasons, which will continue.  A quick google shows this

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/how-much-each-premier-league-club-owes-in-remaining-transfer-fees/

Clubs also have large funds in their financials accumulated to use if they need, you can see that from the likes of Man U financials

https://ir.manutd.com/financial-information/annual-reports/2019.aspx

Then you have the need to keep their fans overseas interested as that is a major revenue stream for the future.  If Man Utd had continued their poor performances and sliding down the league and lack of involvement in the Champions League or title race then the fair weather supporters overseas would be less interested in Man U and the growth in fans for Liverpool and Man City would grow. 

Fans, not like the lifers of fans that have unique loyalty to clubs will move clubs, so big clubs need to compete, need to be in the main tournaments to the end so they continue revenue coming in from fans via subscriptions, merch and other revenue angles.  That means investment in top players, which is big money........already talks that Man U are in advanced talks with Dembele for 65m...it has already started. 

Added to this, the clubs that have the players who the big clubs want to buy arent going to sell their players cheaper are they!  Villa wont sell Jack to Man U any cheaper, Sancho wont be sold by Dortmund any cheaper will they!  Liverpool will want to keep their dominance, Man City owners will want to challenge Liverpool better next season, Chelsea the same now they have no transfer ban.....then Man U.  Just competing against each other for players which also drives prices up.

Therefore my answer is that clubs will borrow from the future because they have to because they know their competitors will, the financial infrastructure is already there to do this so I believe it will happen (continue) with big fees and major players moving from club to club.

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:
  • Wednesday, 13 May: Professional Footballers' Association/League Managers' Association consult members on medical protocols
  • Thursday, 14 May: Meetings between Premier League and PFA/LMA about medical protocols
  • Thursday, 14 May: Meeting between Culture Secretary and football authorities Monday,
  • 18 May: Next Premier League meeting Monday
  • 18 May: Premier League players may return to initial group training under socially distancing protocols
  • 25 May: Uefa deadline for leagues to have finalised plan for restarting seasons 1 June: Government date for possible return of elite sport behind closed doors in England
  • 12 June: Premier League aiming to return with first fixture

There's an important date missing from this one.

• 8th August - 2020-21 Premier League season kicks off - with very little room for manoeuvre on that date so that the Euro's in the summer of 2021 can be accommodated. 

They could maybe get away with moving that a week or even two at a push - it'd really concertina the fixtures up and mean just about every team playing twice a week, but it's possible - more than that is really unlikely.

If the Premier starts on 12th June, it'll give about 55 days to get it done - that's pretty much doable.

But, going back to your other point about a second wave of infections in the winter - if I were the Premier league I'd be thinking about bringing that start date forward to 1st July so that there's enough space in the calendar for if football has to stop for a few weeks to accommodate that. To make that work you'd need to remove the remainder of this season from the calendar - not play it - now we might well go down under those circumstances, but it'd give the league a chance to at least try to save one of these two seasons.

It's worth reiterating that under normal circumstances the players would be due back for pre-season training in six week's time. 

The whole calendar is an absolute mess and at some point something needs to go - for me you get rid of the thing that's already broken.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

You obviously haven’t thought that through!

What an easy way to get one over on your rivals.  I’ll just get me and my mates and family to dress up as our opposition team, that’s a guaranteed 10 wins for the Villa.  

Where do we end up in the league with 55 points? 😂😂😂

I swear VillaLad is a troll 😂 never seen as much nonsense from one user than this guy

1 hour ago, sne said:

The only thing that is going to stop Liverpool fans celebrating the title out in the streets en massé is the threat of the losing the title if they do so.

And no one is going to strip them of the title for celebrating it. No one will have the balls.

Sure if that happens they can gather for a protest. They are gathering regardless