Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

3 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

The Premier League and Boris Johnson can continue to pretend that everything is going to be all right. While hypothetical plans are being argued back and forth about restarting PL matches in 4 weeks time, just stop and consider the current background to this embarrassing show of self interest .... 627 more people have died from Covid19 in the UK over the last 24 hours. 627 more families are today crushed with grief. People have died in their thousands, and many thousands more will continue to die. 

The UK is considered such a dangerous place at the moment that it is deemed necessary for the government to ban you and I from meeting up with our families and friends, yet we are desperate to play football in the midst of this shocking human tragedy!

I think the season should be cancelled.....However playing football or not, will not bring those poor people back....all c32,000 of them

Football alone is not important in the whole scheme of things, you are right, but 

Life must go on, despite the challenge from this invisible killer....we have to endeavor to get back to normality, even if it is incrementaly slow.

Boris johnson has to remain positive, just like Churchill did despite the prospects of adversity.....in every aspect of our normal life, not just football.....industries are collapsing and jobs being destroyed and an economy to protect, so I guess football is just a sideshow, for him...just another solution to solve.

The football issue is just one in a plethora of issues that Covid is affecting and those wrapped up in the industry have to find a way in the midst of the  evil thing of how to finish what they started or cancel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think the season should be cancelled.....However playing football or not, will not bring those poor people back....all c32,000 of them

Football alone is not important in the whole scheme of things, you are right, but 

Life must go on, despite the challenge from this invisible killer....we have to endeavor to get back to normality, even if it is incrementaly slow.

Boris johnson has to remain positive, just like Churchill did despite the prospects of adversity.....in every aspect of our normal life, not just football.....industries are collapsing and jobs being destroyed and an economy to protect, so I guess football is just a sideshow, for him...just another solution to solve.

The football issue is just one in a plethora of issues that Covid is affecting and those wrapped up in the industry have to find a way in the midst of the  evil thing of how to finish what they started or cancel.

The key point though, get it wrong and 32,000 will look like a small number.  The government isn’t filling us with confidence on any of it at the moment and we know the PL view money over health.

52 minutes ago, Nabby said:

They're taking the piss surely?  Of all the stupid things I've heard in the last few weeks I reckon that's the stupidest.  I mean, either going into tackles/50-50s or trying to shake them off without looking at what you're doing seems incredibly dangerous to me.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Nowadays, players would have a manager like Ron out of the door in a matter of months. It's the cool kids, not the sergeant majors that are able to work with this generation of players.

I agree, if your description of sergeant major was right, i think Ron was a bit more cute than that, a brash description imo.

I can think of plenty of modern day managers, who are not to be messed with, but most are in the top jobs where harmony is well nourished....and descenters less likely to flourish.

A decisive manager can also be seen as a hard, tough manager.

Mourinho is a well documented version and he easily gets fixed up with jobs, much like Brian Clough did.....Klopp and Pep are steely characters as is Sean Dyche.

I don't see the difference in time as a major player,sure a more subtle set of skills are applied, but a similar message is still instilled...... I think in perhaps a more subtle way they are just as disciplined as the ones of the past.

Edited by TRO

The whole thing is a farce but the PL must get the show on the road so they are trying everything.

I wonder how many palms they have greased to make sure the government are on-board? 

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

27 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The key point though, get it wrong and 32,000 will look like a small number.  The government isn’t filling us with confidence on any of it at the moment and we know the PL view money over health.

Nick, I think any Government subjected to this , has a monumental task to please everyone...its nigh on impossible....especially, with Piers Morgan, prodding the bear with every question.lol

Your point is valid, no one wants football to return to a cost of life....of players or anyone else associated with football....one life lost, is too many.

thats why in my feeble mind, the season should be cancelled, that is the safest, way out.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sterling, Rose, Aguero have come out against playing. Thats 3 high profile players already

Sterling was quite diplomatic and was just being cautious. Rose was way ottp. I wonder if he’s happy people risking their lives for a pittance of Pay to provide him with groceries 

I am not going to be judgmental on any Footballer refusing to play until they feel its safe.

its their life, they have the right to not put it at unnecessay risk.

• Like 1

Keep seeing the point being made that it's safer to play football than it is to go to the supermarket, but food is an essential need, if people don't eat they don't survive, playing football isn't essential it's just a game, if playing puts anyone at risk of dying or suffering long lasting damage then it's not worth it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not going to be judgmental on any Footballer refusing to play until they feel its safe.

its their life, they have the right to not put it at unnecessay risk.

Yes but if nurses, doctors, care workers, people working in the food supply chain took that attitude where would we be. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Yes but if nurses, doctors, care workers, people working in the food supply chain took that attitude where would we be. 

if the people you mentioned took that attitude then unfortunately they would be in the wrong profession

Just now, Zatman said:

if the people you mentioned took that attitude then unfortunately they would be in the wrong profession

So you are saying it’s ok for them to risk their lives but not footballers 

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Keep seeing the point being made that it's safer to play football than it is to go to the supermarket, but food is an essential need, if people don't eat they don't survive, playing football isn't essential it's just a game, if playing puts anyone at risk of dying or suffering long lasting damage then it's not worth it.

I agree.

but not every player gets huge salaries.....the lower leagues and coaches, don't get those money mountains and they still have to live.

but my shout is to cancel it all for this season a unilateral decision....and just use their brain power to sort out the finances and legal stuff.

safety has to come first.

Just now, PaulC said:

No but thats there job, its what they trained for. People have the highest respect for these guys but if your a trained doctor or nurse you would expect to be dealing with sick people

If your a footballer its not your training

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Not ok. Its NECESSARY. Without them thousands would die. Without footballers a few fat cats will have to wait a month or 2 before buying a 4th Lambo. It's not remotely comparable

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

No but thats there job, its what they trained for. People have the highest respect for these guys but if your a trained doctor or nurse you would expect to be dealing with sick people

If your a footballer its not your training

Not a highly contagious desease like this though and people In the food supply chain certainly aren’t trained