Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

26 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I wish we had an easier run in.

We seem to struggle against the big teams.

Only big team we've beaten is Leicester, in the cup. And you know how the Cup works. No points at stage, no relegation at stake. So a lot of the pressure is off i would think.

Yeah, I get that, but we have struggled against the big teams when there has been something at stake.

Its the bottom teams that might represent more fight, as they have more at stake.

We don't seem to be a side comfortable when a team is in our faces.....so it might work out better for us against teams who know they can play, they give you more space and time....and are safe from relegation.

its a tricky one.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

so it might work out better for us against teams who know they can play, they give you more space and time.

Sadly not too many of those in this league.

Newcastle i guess under Bruce. Also Watford were woeful at VP. They pretty much just sat back.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I don’t think integrity matters during these times. They just need to get the thing done as quickly and as safe as possible. If that means cramming in three games a week, 80 min matches and 5 subs then so be it. Football won’t be the same again for a long time anyway. 

If they did shit like this Paul ill walk away from football as its just corruot and not fair. Id imagine others will too

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If they did shit like this Paul ill walk away from football as its just corruot and not fair. Id imagine others will too

I am unsure football will be the same for some time or ever again.

many have voiced their opinions to me of not going back to huge crowds of people where viruses have a field day ( pardon the pun)and we all know some just cough in the air indiscriminately, with no regard for others. I guess older fans will be affected more.

Even when this is over or subdued.....when will see the next one?

dense gatherings of people have taken on an all new meaning and thought provoking reaction.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Say we get relegated, on that timeline where is the transfer window?. Any club being relegated is going to be disadvantaged because you have zero planning time to revamp your squad.

This is a weird one, there has been lots of talk about the transfer window. 

it would be difficult to open the summer window while this season is still being played - you can't have a team spending a couple of hundred million on players that can join for the last four games.

There's been talk of a mini window of a week at the end of June for players out of contract or that already have deals, so someone could sign Ben Foster during that window and Chelsea's winger they signed from Ajax could move - that one is all about getting around the contract problem at the 1st July though.

There's then been some strange suggestions about the summer window - you could have a shortened one from whenever the season ends until the end of August (the Premier League had already agreed to go back to the end of August and not repeat last summer's curtailed window) - but depending on how shortened that is, it could become quite convoluted and we'd have unhappy players, clubs and agents. I'd read somewhere an ides that FIFA had about opening the 'summer' window late (after the Champions league final which UEFA are proposing is played on 28th August) but then keeping it open right through to January - so that team could trade players all through the first half of the season - that could get very strange.

I think they'll find a way to put it in - I think it'll be when we're playing though, not during the small break between the two seasons. 

50 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I haven't actually done the numbers, but can't all clubs theoretically survive this campaign? If so, assuming the league relegates 3 without any further matches, if litigation follows - won't the three clubs actually sue the league for close to a billion? With everything the PL involves it's not unreasonable to say it's a  £ 300 million seasonal trip?

This is why I’m totally relaxed about it all. 

If they relegate us on PPG, the amount of compensation we would get, would see us cash rich beyond our wildest dreams. I’d be ok with relegation and £500m (min) in the bank. 

The worst option is being relegated after playing the remaining games behind closed doors. 

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Our run in is incredibly harsh. How many points do you see if/when the season restarts?

My Prediction:

Chelsea (H) L

Newcastle (A) W

Wolves (H) L

Liverpool (A) L

Man Utd (H) D

Crystal Palace (H) W

Everton (A) L

Arsenal (H) D

West Ham (A) W

I was being kind here. This is close to the best we can hope for imo. It's 36 pts. I think we are done for if the season restarts.

But here's the thing, it's hard to judge on normal terms - try this example:

• Chelsea (H) L - Chelsea pushing for Europe and full strength
  • Newcastle (A) W - Newcastle almost safe, in the middle of a takeover and not quite focused fall by the odd goal in three
  • Wolves (H) L - Wolves pushing for Europe and full strength
  • Liverpool (A) W - Klopp "really pleased" with the efforts of his youngsters from the luxury hotel where he and the first team squad watched the game
  • Man Utd (H) L - Utd pushing for Europe and full strength
  • Crystal Palace (H) W - Palace not arsed after two previous wins - nine of their first team declining the drive to Leicester for the match
  • Everton (A) W - Someone of other becomes Everton's youngest ever goalscorer in a 4-1 defeat that leaves Villa safe
  • Arsenal (H) D - nil-nil in the first game to come close to actually obeying distancing laws - a lot of sideways passing
  • Sheffield Utd (A) - D - Villa and Utd play out a dull draw at 09:30 in the morning in Manchester
  • West Ham (A) L - a game to be remembered for Philgene-Bidace's exciting debut as Mark Delaney's team end the season with a brave defeat

And that for me is the biggest sporting problem with Project Restart - it's not going to be like the end of the 2019-20 season - teams will be trying to get a break, to get out of games asap - it'll be a chaotic battle of who could care less in which the luck of the draw and how much your opponents need the points will be the biggest factor in deciding your fate.

It'll start as a novelty and end as a joke, and in taking that journey, it'll damage the Premier league.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

This is why I’m totally relaxed about it all. 

If they relegate us on PPG, the amount of compensation we would get, would see us cash rich beyond our wildest dreams. I’d be ok with relegation and £500m (min) in the bank. 

The worst option is being relegated after playing the remaining games behind closed doors. 

Good point. Also FFP should not apply tk us or the ither tek relegated clubs as we have been totally screwed over. 

My only concern would be the length of time it will take to go to court.  The amount of backlog of court cases at the mo is crazy. So will take years maybe to get that money

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Good point. Also FFP should not apply tk us or the ither tek relegated clubs as we have been totally screwed over. 

My only concern would be the length of time it will take to go to court.  The amount of backlog of court cases at the mo is crazy. So will take years maybe to get that money

Out of court settlement. 

Does the Prem want to be sued by a minimum of 3 teams (clubs looking at Europe might have something to say about PPG too), in court for potentially years, all the media coverage that will come with it? 

No precedent, so compensation could be anything really. When you factor in loss of TV money, sponsorship, devaluation of assets etc and over a potentially unknown period of time. A good team of lawyers would have a field day. 

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

But here's the thing, it's hard to judge on normal terms - try this example:

• Chelsea (H) L - Chelsea pushing for Europe and full strength
  • Newcastle (A) W - Newcastle almost safe, in the middle of a takeover and not quite focused fall by the odd goal in three
  • Wolves (H) L - Wolves pushing for Europe and full strength
  • Liverpool (A) W - Klopp "really pleased" with the efforts of his youngsters from the luxury hotel where he and the first team squad watched the game
  • Man Utd (H) L - Utd pushing for Europe and full strength
  • Crystal Palace (H) W - Palace not arsed after two previous wins - nine of their first team declining the drive to Leicester for the match
  • Everton (A) W - Someone of other becomes Everton's youngest ever goalscorer in a 4-1 defeat that leaves Villa safe
  • Arsenal (H) D - nil-nil in the first game to come close to actually obeying distancing laws - a lot of sideways passing
  • Sheffield Utd (A) - D - Villa and Utd play out a dull draw at 09:30 in the morning in Manchester
  • West Ham (A) L - a game to be remembered for Philgene-Bidace's exciting debut as Mark Delaney's team end the season with a brave defeat

And that for me is the biggest sporting problem with Project Restart - it's not going to be like the end of the 2019-20 season - teams will be trying to get a break, to get out of games asap - it'll be a chaotic battle of who could care less in which the luck of the draw and how much your opponents need the points will be the biggest factor in deciding your fate.

It'll start as a novelty and end as a joke, and in taking that journey, it'll damage the Premier league.

That's the problem, all that form, all those stronger teams, match fitness, whose cares, not to mention scared of the virus, people ill from the virus, playing weaker teams, actually playing and potentially different venues or at least no crowds.  It's such a different game that everything you normally think of when predicting results, which is hard enough as it is has gone completely out of the window and who knows what's going to happen. 

This thing that is being thrown at us that are we scared to play, my answer is no. First of all I thought we wouldve got out of trouble in the normal season (doesnt matter if you agree or not, we'll never know). Secondly, who the hell knows what's going to happen now in games, this includes bottom of the table and the top of the table....with all these new factors, even some players who play well in front of crowds may not without a crowd and vice versa.  We know in society that when environmental elements change is does have influence on whatever is happening so we are likely to see some real random things.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

Also Injuries are not only likely due to lack of training but if the reports are true about no post games massages /ice baths its going to be a mess ..its a roulette wheel

On one hand we keep people fit we face teams with reserves out  and stay up where as say West Ham get 5/6 injuries and play teams with full strength teams and go down.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It's such a different game that everything you normally think of when predicting results, which is hard enough as it is has gone completely out of the window and who knows what's going to happen. 

if only there was some sort of industry that allowed you to guess at these results and pumped hundreds of millions in to the premier league for the return of billions in profit

:detect:

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

if only there was some sort of industry that allowed you to guess at these results and pumped hundreds of millions in to the premier league for the return of billions in profit

:detect:

that's a good point, betting companies might get bashed around a little with this because it's hard to compute results when you have no relevant history to rely on with all the new environmental elements.....I'm guessing the odds on what would normally be considered unlikely results are going to be a lot lower given the uncertainty added to the fixture(s).

5 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Also Injuries are not only likely due to lack of training but if the reports are true about no post games massages /ice baths its going to be a mess ..its a roulette wheel

On one hand we keep people fit we face teams with reserves out  and stay up where as say West Ham get 5/6 injuries and play teams with full strength teams and go down.

The concern also is if key players get the virus and we lose them for the run in.

Just now, nick76 said:

The concern also is if key players get the virus and we lose them for the run in.

Well some study is saying the chances of catching it during the match are low 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/05/11/la-liga-study-shows-risk-players-spreading-coronavirus-football/

Headline being you need to be within 2mts  of someone for 15 mins before contact is relevant  and players only close to somone for 1.5 mins in a 90 min game 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I believe players are being asked to drive themselves to venues so that we don't have mixing on coaches. 

What a glorious summer awaits for traffic police.

I’d suggest Jack gets someone from his household to drive him in! 

9 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Well some study is saying the chances of catching it during the match are low 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/05/11/la-liga-study-shows-risk-players-spreading-coronavirus-football/

Headline being you need to be within 2mts  of someone for 15 mins before contact is relevant  and players only close to somone for 1.5 mins in a 90 min game 

Chance is low but possible. 

The WhiteHouse, one of the safest and most tested places currently in the world has had two positive tests in the last 48 hours. 

Additionally the test, I'm hearing that the quick tests are only 85% accurate.

The most contagious time of the virus is pre-symptoms.

I hear your argument but if a player coughs in the box during a corner kick or free kick, we've all seen those pictures of how those spread.

Then you have 22 players on the pitch, subs, manager, coaches, medics, doctors, refs, assistants....etc etd for 92 games (in the league - plus cup and european games).  It's masses of people at the game....then going back home to families and then back to football.  I'm not sure the isolating footballers is going to happen.