Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

13 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I always thought that the football league would be fairly agnostic about it as losing Leeds but gaining Villa is about the same in terms of away support to the other teams  and tv interest. 

I was thinking more from an “integrity” perspective the idea of insisting one league finishes so you can relegate teams but another not finishing but you promote teams seems the opposite if integrity to me.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But we've been conceding 20+ shots every game since the start of the season.

Always hard to get a solid run together when we concede so many chances per game.

Jack can win you a game single-handedly. If you keep it tight at the back it would give us a great chance. But sadly Dean doesn't seem to prioritize on this. 

Yet we have still managed to win and draw games despite conceding that many shots.  We don’t need a solid run we just need to gain enough points to avoid relegation.  A solid run would be great but we just need points and we have the ability to do that.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yet we have still managed to win and draw games despite conceding that many shots.

Yes we were good in the final third in the first half of the season.

But once teams started to respect and man mark Jack it's been harder for us to creates as many chances.

Edited by villalad21

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

So you think 10 additional games in a season would be impossible to accomplish? :blink:

How would you handle the rest of this season for 

• the PL
  • the Championship
  • The FA-cup
  • The European Cups

How would you handle next seasons schedule/qualifications for the

• PL
  • Championship
  • European Cups
  • the FA cup
  • the League Cup
  • the transfer window for players
  • the sheer number of games that has to be played that season that already have a African Cup of Nations in the winter and a EURO's and a Olympics in the summer

It's not possible, especially since other countries will not finish their seasons in that way. 

Edit: Forgot to add 

• Player contracts expiring
  • players already signed for new clubs
  • Sponsor contracts expiring

Sure there are more.

Edited by sne

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

You have met Chelsea, Man C, Man Utd and potentially now Newcastle.....They maybe less big fees but there are still going to be a fair amount of big fees.  Also smaller clubs will increase prices of their prize assets to cover some of the losses have cause because of the virus.

Really I think the opposite. Less money lower transfer fees plus no football means footballers no longer assetts they are liabilities 

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yes we were good in the final third in the first half of the season.

But once teams started to respect and man mark Jack it's been harder for us to creates as many chances.

But we’ve still been scoring goals, defeats your point.

Just keep using negative points without any positives.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

teams have runs of form both bad and good, especially at the bottom end of the table. After Southampton lost to Leicester 9-0 and how they were playing, people assumed they would end up bottom at the end of the season because they were awful.  Watford have been 20th for most of the season but they had a new manager bump but are now back to poor results.

Results change and you never know.  People are just basing it on how we finished before the lockdown.  We concede too many goals but we can pull results out of the bag, even recently like the win against Watford in the league and beating Leicester in the cup.  We have the ability to do it.

Both of those clubs changed managers for the better tho that's the point your missing. I'm not bashing , but that run of form was horrible couldn't even do the basics in football right like organisation, defend as a team and our system of play.

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Really I think the opposite. Less money lower transfer fees plus no football means footballers no longer assetts they are liabilities 

Eh? That doesn’t make sense...maybe I’m being too literal with my finance background.  

Anyway big clubs will still spend big money but we’ll wait and see, this will not impact smaller clubs.  Plus selling clubs are going to lower their price of a player.  We wouldn’t be lowering our price of Jack.

5 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Both of those clubs changed managers for the better tho that's the point your missing. I'm not bashing , but that run of form was horrible couldn't even do the basics in football right like organisation, defend as a team and our system of play.

Southampton didn’t change manager

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Eh? That doesn’t make sense...maybe I’m being too literal with my finance background.  

Anyway big clubs will still spend big money but we’ll wait and see, this will not impact smaller clubs.  Plus selling clubs are going to lower their price of a player.  We wouldn’t be lowering our price of Jack.

We shall see. I’ll be very surprised if big money is spent on transfer fees this summer compared to the past few years 

18 minutes ago, sne said:

How would you handle the rest of this season for 

• the PL
  • the Championship
  • The FA-cup
  • The European Cups

How would you handle next seasons schedule/qualifications for the

• PL
  • Championship
  • European Cups
  • the FA cup
  • the League Cup
  • the transfer window for players
  • the sheer number of games that has to be played that season that already have a African Cup of Nations in the winter and a EURO's and a Olympics in the summer

It's not possible, especially since other countries will not finish their seasons in that way. 

Easy you just rush through in the opening weeks.

3 games per week till we're back in route.

In the Championship they are already used to many games so maybe push it to 4 games per week there.

• Haha 3

Im not having that if ch!championship isnt restarting then leeds and wba dont come up simple as that. If we have to restart the championship has to as well if they insistent on relegation and promotion

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Easy you just rush through in the opening weeks.

3 games per week till we're back in route.

In the Championship they are already used to many games so maybe push it to 4 games per week there.

Yup, easy. No problems what so ever :crylaugh:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

What is the problem exactly?

Once it's safe to play football again having more games per week ain't gonna kill anyone.

We can finish this season as quickly as 3 weeks once it's safe to play football again.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Just increase the number of games and decrease the gap between games, increase the size of the bench and the number of subs allowed... What could possibly happen that would ruin football even more... might as well hope that some EFL teams go bump and the big 6 can have B teams too

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

What is the problem exactly?

Once it's safe to play football again having more games per week ain't gonna kill anyone.

We can finish this season as quickly as 3 weeks once it's safe to play football again.

Agree you can but again how far from the original competition do you move away from in the name of keeping integrity? 

Change all the rules but call it the same thing is bollocks 

Just now, villa4europe said:

Just increase the number of games and decrease the gap between games, increase the size of the bench and the number of subs allowed... What could possibly happen that would ruin football even more... might as well hope that some EFL teams go bump and the big 6 can have B teams too

But it's just for this moment in time.

Desperate times require desperate measures.

I highly doubt this new sub system is here to stay.