Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

I haven't actually done the numbers, but can't all clubs theoretically survive this campaign? If so, assuming the league relegates 3 without any further matches, if litigation follows - won't the three clubs actually sue the league for close to a billion? With everything the PL involves it's not unreasonable to say it's a  £ 300 million seasonal trip?

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

What is the problem exactly?

Once it's safe to play football again having more games per week ain't gonna kill anyone.

We can finish this season as quickly as 3 weeks once it's safe to play football again.

I listed something like 15 problems they have to solve. You didn't offer a solution to any of them.

We are done here.

• Haha 2

I hope purslow and the other chief execs at the bottom are insisting that if they want promotions and relegations the chanpionship has to restart also as they woukd not have earned promotion.

So Sadiq Khan doesnt want any games played in London till safe to add to that the athletics event in July at West Ham has been cancelled due to stadium no safe enough and now players are scared to go back training.

How on earth can the season realistically finish?

Of course, there is another argument to all this.

The injustice of the proposals put forward to finish the season, could be just the motivation a wronged team, would need to go in to the final games.

under such circumstances, who would want to play against a team, that many of us feel have been abandoned by self serving clubs.

But then of course that depends on the fighting spirit of the said teams affected.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but have the 'PPG' calculations been done on an average across the season, or based on home and away points?

Do we end up relegated in both scenarios?

EDIT: Never mind, I've googled it. We do.

Edited by Rob182

8 minutes ago, sne said:

I listed something like 15 problems they have to solve. You didn't offer a solution to any of them.

We are done here.

Mate. Just look at it as a 3 week extended season.

Really don't see the problem.

It's not a crisis if a season doesn't end in mid May.

Regardless. I believe the season will be finished in June/July anyways. So this discussion will be meaningless.

Edited by villalad21

I don’t think integrity matters during these times. They just need to get the thing done as quickly and as safe as possible. If that means cramming in three games a week, 80 min matches and 5 subs then so be it. Football won’t be the same again for a long time anyway. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Of course, there is another argument to all this.

The injustice of the proposals put forward to finish the season, could be just the motivation a wronged team, would need to go in to the final games.

under such circumstances, who would want to play against a team, that many of us feel have been abandoned by self serving clubs.

But then of course that depends on the fighting spirit of the said teams affected.

Do you think there is a new drive, hunger and motivation in our team after this break?

i have a low key fascination with the idea of watching unconditioned, out of shape, chubby post lockdown footballers dragging their arses round a quiet football pitch where we could hear the swearing and slagging and managers instructions and screams of pain from soft tackles etc.

It would be hilarious and I think I could relate more to players playing more like me and my fat mates down the local park than the pure robotic athletes we are used to watching (Danny Drinkwater aside) in a sanitised, editable environment

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Madness if Germany allows 5 subs.

Sorry but i don't feel sympathy for them.

They earn more money in 10 years than we will do in our lifetime.

Back in the old days they had the same amount of games in 14 player squads. Didn't complain one bit

Edited by villalad21

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Poor people getting a bit "exhausted"

Back in the old days they had the same amount of games in 14 player squads. Didn't complain one bit

Please stop, it’s not even funny anymore, just stop.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Do you think there is a new drive, hunger and motivation in our team after this break?

I really don't know.....but you would like to think so.

I have long had dubious thoughts on the character of our team, but I was talking from the point of view of something tangible , like these farcical proposals......might spark them in to life.

29 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We shall see. I’ll be very surprised if big money is spent on transfer fees this summer compared to the past few years 

Maybe but OGS has said Man U are going to be spending big only a few weeks ago, Newcastle if the deal goes through will spend, we know Man City are looking at high end defensive players.  Chelsea now the ban is lifted and I assume Liverpool will only buy one or two but expect them to be high quality.  Arteta will be starting his rebuild, Mourinho would like to spend but maybe restricted by Levy, Ancelotti hasnt come to Everton to be a mid table team........you can go on and on. 

Liverpool have blown everybody away this season, the big teams will be wounded and want to address that and rebalance and then the 2nd tier teams like Arsenal, Spurs, Everton and Newcastle if they have money are either rebuilding with new managers or might have an influx of money. 

I would be very surprised if we dont see transfer fees like previous seasons despite the virus.  We've already talked about the backlash in previous conversations, I just dont believe that will impact it because fans will love their teams buying and opposition from other fans will be ignored especially when they are likely to be doing the same when their teams buy. 

I know you dont agree with this and I guess we'll see but I dont see any change.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I really don't know.....but you would like to think so.

I have long had dubious thoughts on the character of our team, but I was talking from the point of view of something tangible , like these farcical proposals......might spark them in to life.

I wish we had an easier run in.

We seem to struggle against the big teams.

Only big team we've beaten is Leicester, in the cup. And you know how the Cup works. No points at stage, no relegation at stake. So a lot of the pressure is off i would think.

Ignoring obvious trolling aside, of the 92 fixtures, 22 will take place in London and Watford i.e. the worst impacted city for the virus. Sadiq Khan is absolutely right to raise concerns, and for the safety of players and staff.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think the game is much faster now and the space is not there to take a breather, like it used to be.

Irrespective of the rewards, we are asking them to be flat out for the duration of the game and if we are not doing that our opponents are.

The physical demands are much greater today, than yesteryear.

Its not necessarily feeling sorry for them, its more about what the body will take.....its a physically full on game now, or it should be.