Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Piece from inews:

A leading professor on respiratory research in elite athletes claims that around a third of Premier League players have undiagnosed exercise-induced asthma.

It adds:

There is no evidence that asthmatics are more likely to contract Covid-19 but, according to the European Respiratory Society, “hospital data shows that respiratory patients are more likely to experience severe complications due to Covid-19 infection.”

On exercise-induced asthma (which is treated like regular asthma, with an inhaler):

Dr Dickinson led a team which conducted a two-year study, concluded in 2017, which tested players from two Premier League clubs, one in the Champions League and the other mid-table, and clubs from the Championship and League One. It revealed that 28 per cent of the players had the condition.

Adding:

He also screened Liverpool’s squad a decade ago and found that a quarter of the players had the condition. Furthermore, his estimate is based on the percentages they have found in rugby players, which is played at a similar intensity and in similar conditions to football. In comparison, they find only nine to 12 per cent of the general population experience the condition.

And when it comes to training:

Dr Dickinson added: “Another concern is players going from low to high intensity exercise when they start training. They could find they enter a period where the immune system drops. It has to be well managed. They can’t be pushed that hard. Coaches have to be careful how they build up players’ fitness."

45 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Smith did say we have too many ‘training ground players’, playing behind closed doors might be good for us. 

Wow....did he say that?

We have one of the best crowd atmosphere's in the country.....if you can't play in our partisan ground, where can you play?

If he did say that.....then there is a big question mark over their character.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Wow....did he say that?

We have one of the best crowd atmosphere's in the country.....if you can't play in our partisan ground, where can you play?

Our home form is decent tbf but our away form has been nothing short of shameful. This team definitely have a problem playing in front of hostile crowds.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Wow....did he say that?

He did indeed, after the defeat to Southampton. 

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2020/02/22/dean-smith-furious-with-aston-villa-players-following-embarrassing-defeat/

“There's too many training ground players. You have to perform on a matchday.”

"If you want to be a Premier League player, you have to perform week in, week out, too many of ours didn't today.”

He wasn’t on about playing at home, it was after an away game - I think he meant more that some of them struggle under pressure

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Well some study is saying the chances of catching it during the match are low 

yep, in theory its 11 tested negative players vs 11 tested negative players so the risk to the players is quite low

my issue with it remains that they are struggling to police the idiots during the lockdown, they cant stop people going out, having street parties etc once football starts up again the floodgates are well and truly open

the idea that the lockdown can continue and people will observe it whilst football is being played is utter bollocks

they can throw in the Bundesliga all they want but the fact is we were never in the strict lockdown the UK has, we are now by and large back at work and everything is open, the Bundesliga players are allowed to play football and I am allowed to play football on Wednesday (only training for another 2 weeks I think) its not 1 rule for footballers another rule for me or footballers being asked to go out and play football whilst not being allowed out to see their family 

14 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Our home form is decent tbf but our away form has been nothing short of shameful. This team definitely have a problem playing in front of hostile crowds.

We have been better at home, no doubt, but its not the fortress, we would like to claim......we have had some howlers at home too.

I think our team has a problem playing hostile teams, full stop...never mind hostile crowds.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Amiens president Bernard Joannin is planning to take legal action over the decision to relegate the club from Ligue 1.

Joannin, speaking at a news conference on Tuesday, has now confirmed he plans to take his challenge to the courts and is confident of being successful.

"We are fighting. This fight, we are fighting it against injustice," he said.

"We find this decision contrary to fairness in sport. It is a sanction decision by the League. I repeat, this decision is unfair. A championship is 38 games. 

"We are forced to go to court. The legal arguments are on our side. I am convinced that justice will prove us right.

"We are determined to uphold sporting fairness, even if it has to go through the courts. It’s time that humanism and justice prevail over other interests."

Sportskeeda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

He did indeed, after the defeat to Southampton. 

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2020/02/22/dean-smith-furious-with-aston-villa-players-following-embarrassing-defeat/

He wasn’t on about playing at home, it was after an away game - I think he meant more that some of them struggle under pressure

Oh Ok.

Well, he is well aware of what we have then.

I think players who struggle under pressure are usually just not good enough.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

He's got a better managerial CV than Dean

Marginally perhaps... (is it in colour and on better quality paper? ;)) but Ralph has had a 4 season head start on Dean and has had 4 seasons more managing in the top flight. Given that, I think it is nearer 50/50...   

Ralph Hasenhuttl: 

SpVgg Unterhaching (2007-2010) - 07/08 - 6th, 08/09 - 4th, 09/10 - sacked - 31 points from 24 games.

VfR Aalen (2011-2013) - 10/11 - 16th, 11/12 - 2nd (p), 12/13 - 9th - resigned. 

FC Ingolstadt 04 (2013-2016) - 13/14 - 10th, 14/15 - 1st (p), 15/16 - 11th - left at end of contract.

RB Leipzig (2016-2018) - 16/17 - 2nd, 17/18 - 6th - contract terminated. 

Southampton (2018-) 18/19 - 16th, 19/20 - ?  

Dean Smith:

Walsall (2011-2015) - 11/12 - 19th, 12/13 - 9th, 13/14 - 13th, 14/15 - 14th - moved to Brentford.

Brentford (2015-2018) - 15/16 - 9th, 16-17 - 10th, 17-18 - 9th - moved to us. 

Villa (2018-) 18/19 - 6th (p), 19-20 - ?  

13 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Absolutely right too. Fair play to them. It won’t end well for any league that uses PPG/N&V and relegates teams. 

They cannot use a hammer to crack a nut.

They are difficult decisions, we all know that, but to come up with farcical proposals like PPG just to circumnavigate the 6/7 club inconvenience, is preposterous.

Unless the league can be completed normally, and its unlikely it can.....the season should be cancelled....its the fairest way for all concerned.

All the talk of trying to get a quart in to a pint pot is absurd.

They need to do what Netherlands,Belgium and France have done....its hardly pioneering moves by us, half of football Europe has done it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

Oh Ok.

Well, he is well aware of what we have then.

I think players who struggle under pressure are usually just not good enough.

I don't think it's the right thing to do to blame players in public. I don't think you will get a positive reaction out of it most of the times. In fact i think you'll lose the player more times than not.

It's what Mourinho usually do towards the end of his spell at clubs and it never ends well.

If you have a problem with a player deal with it in private.

Ferguson has said he doesn't agree with calling out your own players in the public and i don't think i will argue with one of the greatest ever managers in the history.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't think it's the right thing to do to blame players in public. I don't think you will get a positive reaction out of it most of the times. In fact i think you'll lose the player more times than not.

It's what Mourinho usually do towards the end of his spell at clubs and it never ends well.

If you have a problem with a player deal with it in private.

Ferguson has said he doesn't agree with calling out your own players in the public and i don't think i will argue with one of the greatest ever managers in the history.

I agree, but sometimes a manager has to defend himself too....players can get you the sack, if you let them.

I can tell you first hand, Ron Saunders did not suffer fools gladly, granted he did not call players out publicly, but behind closed doors he was Brutal to some.

If you didn't make the first team Ron had little time for you, I can tell you that for sure...I know a player intimately, who had a tough time with Ron.....But I am a Villa Fan, I could see both sides of the argument...but like him or loathe him, you knew what he was and what he wanted....Tony Morley had it hard with Ron, but He respected the gaffa for what he was, and he knew he got the best out of him....its not a business to be liked, but it is a business you need to be respected.

I am not a person that likes bullying or putting a person down....but equally you have to get tough with free loaders or players who do not follow instructions consistently.....players who are not doing it, must be told and worked on if both parties agree.

Its not a kindergarten and you have to show the character and resolve to warrant a place.....of course talent is important too.

Equally, a manager cannot keep playing a player and then moaning about him as not doing the business....that is a mixed message to me....it sometimes can't be helped, but that must be temporary, not permanent.

Personally, I get frustrated when I only see players come off for injuries or a yellow to avoid a red......If a player is below the standard consistently during a game, he should be hooked and that sets the standard of what the manager wants, it sends a message around the team....He should then tell him after the game why he hooked him and to get on the training ground on monday and put it right and prove the manager wrong....i.e don't tell me show me.....If he does not have the players to do that, then that is a task to be fixed in the future.....He has to be in control not be controlled by events.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Wow....did he say that?

Surely that doesn't come a surprise. Their attitude and mental strength has been questioned all season, and sadly, our league position is testament to the concern about the mentality of some of the players. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

Surely that doesn't come a surprise. Their attitude and mental strength has been questioned all season, and sadly, our league position is testament to the concern about the mentality of some of the players. 

I totally agree.....No, I think it is an issue.

what surprised me was Dean actually coming out and saying it.....in the open so to speak.

The Premier League and Boris Johnson can continue to pretend that everything is going to be all right. While hypothetical plans are being argued back and forth about restarting PL matches in 4 weeks time, just stop and consider the current background to this embarrassing show of self interest .... 627 more people have died from Covid19 in the UK over the last 24 hours. 627 more families are today crushed with grief. People have died in their thousands, and many thousands more will continue to die. 

The UK is considered such a dangerous place at the moment that it is deemed necessary for the government to ban you and I from meeting up with our families and friends, yet we are desperate to play football in the midst of this shocking human tragedy!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, useless said:

Can you imagine the fight Aston Villa would put up if we were relegated under PPG?

Considering we are worth quite alot of money and run by very professional businessmen I'd imagine the PL would surely be reluctant to go down that route.

• Like 1