Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Bayern are back in training along with some other German clubs.

Groups of five, working on exercises where they can maintain distances - but training.

Money talks.

In Germany (Bavaria at least - it's all local over here), as of yesterday businesses are permitted to try and get back to some normality in the workplace as they see fit. I'm not sure about the other states. Bayern are a business so they're entitled to do as the see fit.

49 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

In Germany (Bavaria at least - it's all local over here), as of yesterday businesses are permitted to try and get back to some normality in the workplace as they see fit. I'm not sure about the other states. Bayern are a business so they're entitled to do as the see fit.

are they? id seen they'd drafted a report on how to do it but not actually put that plan in place

merkel last night said its still the 19th and the no more than 2 people rule is still in place

NRW is still shut

Fifa have shifted the transfer window and come to some arrangement about extending 30 June contracts apparently.  Not sure how Fifa can change employment law? 

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Fifa have shifted the transfer window and come to some arrangement about extending 30 June contracts apparently.  Not sure how Fifa can change employment law? 

Unfortunately for FIFA they cannot oblige any employer or employee to remain in a job that neither party wish to remain in, beyond their legally obligated contract. That very obvious fact aside, who gives a flying f**k what those corrupt pieces of shi7 at FIFA say? In the midst of this crisis that we’re mostly all living through, it’s allowed space to reflect and consider many things. And I’ve reinforced my belief that top flight football is a dirty little slag that I don’t miss at all. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Given it's just finally been confirmed (or close enough) that bribes were accepted from Russia and Qatar, FIFA often feel like they can do what they want. It'll catch up with them. 

21 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Given it's just finally been confirmed (or close enough) that bribes were accepted from Russia and Qatar, FIFA often feel like they can do what they want. It'll catch up with them

Unfortunately I don't think it will.  They feel like they can do what they want because they do get away with it. 

• Like 1

Buried at the bottom of this BBC article about Premier League players being prepared to help with the crisis, are some interesting suggestions from the PFA Chief Exec., Gordon Taylor:

'Finish the season no matter how long it takes'

Taylor said that completing the season remains "top of the agenda" and that everybody in the game, including broadcasters, needs to be flexible, "no matter how long it takes."

He added that players "would talk about [wage] deferrals in the hope that we could keep this season going eventually" in the current talks.

He suggested that, with the 2022 World Cup set to take place in Qatar in November and December, the current season could be finished this winter, with the 2021 campaign taking place during the calendar year.

"It needs to have ideas that come from left of stage to deal with what is a unique situation," Taylor said.

If the season needs to be completed behind closed doors, Taylor said players would understand there would be no gate receipts and that different discussions would then need to take place.

"If we can't play in front of full stadiums then the different scenarios would be looked at at the time," he said.

So finish the 19/20 season this year and the 20/21 season in the 2021 calendar year, presumably the same for 21/22 in the year 2022 (although this isn't explicitly stated) before the World Cup in November that year.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Buried at the bottom of this BBC article about Premier League players being prepared to help with the crisis, are some interesting suggestions from the PFA Chief Exec., Gordon Taylor:

So finish the 19/20 season this year and the 20/21 season in the 2021 calendar year, presumably the same for 21/22 in the year 2022 (although this isn't explicitly stated) before the World Cup in November that year.

It's just madness. Voiding this season is the only realistic thing to do.  They are going to destroy next season as well? It's ludicrous. 

Hopefully the players force through all their June 30th moves and their hand is forced to end this farce. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's just madness. Voiding this season is the only realistic thing to do.  They are going to destroy next season as well? It's ludicrous. 

Hopefully the players force through all their June 30th moves and their hand is forced to end this farce. 

Oh yeah I agree, they are ridiculous suggestions. I thought they were interesting ideas because it's the first time I've seen them stated by someone who may be in a position of knowledge/influence. Interesting that it's been said, but not sensible ideas.

19 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Bayern are back in training along with some other German clubs.

Groups of five, working on exercises where they can maintain distances - but training.

Money talks.

The Steve Bruce wet dream.

2 miles between defence midfield and attack, and 2 hour training sessions of 70 yard balls into channels.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

are they? id seen they'd drafted a report on how to do it but not actually put that plan in place

merkel last night said its still the 19th and the no more than 2 people rule is still in place

NRW is still shut

Oh right then, maybe I jumped to conclusions as I read about the report too. Although the missus said the same thing yesterday when I asked her why there were so few people in the park at lunchtime (considering the 20 degree heat and so on) - she answered with offices are allowed to start bringing people back in within reason as of yesterday. She's not an official source though I guess.

Vested interests from many directions over what to do with this season. What shouldn’t be allowed to happen is for any action to result in a knock-on effect that alters/disrupts other seasons. Gordon Taylors murmurings would cause disruption to the “norm” for the next 3 or so seasons. Cannot be allowed to happen. If the league can be completed by end of June(it won’t) with fans present, then crack on. Shorter summer break is ok with me. Failing that, if football can’t resume until August/September then this current season has to be voided and we start the 2020/21 season as normal. If football can’t resume until late into 2020, or into 2021, then finish this season from January 2021 onwards. Absolutely no scrapping of the FA Cup or League Cup, these are competitions that all but an elite clique of 5-6 clubs enjoy and brings in much needed income for lower league clubs. We must not allow the fabric of our game to be further cut to suit a handful of greed driven clubs in their aims. 

• Like 1

I still can't see past the only option being to void the season if it can't be played in front of fans as normal by the end of June.

Lets not forget, looking forward, that the Euro Championships have been moved to next summer meaning no recovery time for international players next summer (After a hugely disrupted summer this) and then the following summer after that will be World cup time again! So that would effectively be 3 summers with no real break for international players! That in itself would surely wear heavily on players injury wise etc. I though they were trying to reduce the number of games to tackle this?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I still can't see past the only option being to void the season if it can't be played in front of fans as normal by the end of June.

Lets not forget, looking forward, that the Euro Championships have been moved to next summer meaning no recovery time for international players next summer (After a hugely disrupted summer this) and then the following summer after that will be World cup time again! So that would effectively be 3 summers with no real break for international players! That in itself would surely wear heavily on players injury wise etc. I though they were trying to reduce the number of games to tackle this?

If they can play behind closed doors they will do so. The fans who pay to watch matches mean diddly squat. Playing on with the virus going on isn't for the fans, it is certainly not for the players health, it so that they can contractually oblige vast TV deals.  Personally if they do that then no amount of fluffy PR bullshit will repair the distance between me and my football team.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

The virus will likely disrupt next season more.