Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Season would have been voided by now if that was going to happen. Only fans who seem desperate for it to becancelled are Villa fans and Everton and Mancester United fans because of their rivalry with Liverpool. You can bet that if we were in a better position most on here would be talking about how ridiculous it would be to just void a season when 29 games have already been played, which is pretty much the opinion of most other fanbases.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Season would have been voided by now if that was going to happen. Only fans who seem desperate for it to becancelled are Villa fans and Everton and Mancester United fans because of their rivalry with Liverpool. You can bet that if we were in a better position most on here would be talking about how ridiculous it would be to just void a season when 29 games have already been played, which is pretty much the opinion of most other fanbases.

No it’s not that simple. Because of the complexity of contracts, insurance clauses etc all relevant decision makers do not want to to seen to be liable for making a decision that they can possibly be sued for. They want the decision to be made for them.

Edited by Robbie09

850 deaths reported today in largest spike. Null and Void just so happens to work nicely for us but even if it wasnt its still the right thing to do. A lot of money is at stake, etc, etc but that goes for every human and every business everywhere across the globe. Football is no different; I could understand them holding on for as long as possible for an improvement so things can resume, but that seems a way off right now. Cant see any other way right now.

• Like 4

No one is suggesting that football should be resumed whilst it's not safe. The season will carry on one way or another when it's deemed safe to do so, however many months from now that that may be. I personally would just void the season, but with the caveat that i'm one of the select few that aren't biased.

46 minutes ago, useless said:

You can bet that if we were in a better position most on here would be talking about how ridiculous it would be to just void a season when 29 games have already been played, which is pretty much the opinion of most other fanbases.

I honestly don’t believe that. I think most people on here have their heads screwed on, though I haven’t checked the opinions of other fanbases to compare and nor will I be.

Pointless aside question, what would constitute “a better position” and what difference would that make? Let’s say we are safely out of the relegation battle in 12th, people on here aren’t suggesting that the most sensible option is to void the season? I’m pretty sure they would be, simply because it is, regardless of what other boneheaded opinions exist elsewhere. 

• Like 2

A lot of people defend the players but it’s now come out that clubs even leagues will go and if that happens it’s the supporters that loose. Players demanding that they will accept pay cuts if they know where the moneys going is total crap. In the short-term it’s not going to help the health service anyway. 

If we were in twelve there would be nowhere near as many people calling for the season to be voided, many if not most would be saying that it would be fairer to just relegate the current bottom three than void a season which only has nine games left to play. And you  can also bet if we were doing even better, such as being in with a chance of qualifying for Europe, then many Villa fans if not most would be speaking of voiding the season as a ridiculous idea.

1 minute ago, useless said:

If we were in twelve there would be nowhere near as many people calling for the season to be voided, many if not most would be saying that it would be fairer to just relegate the current bottom three than void a season which only has nine games left to play. And you  can also bet if we were doing even better, such as being in with a chance of qualifying for Europe, then many Villa fans if not most would be speaking of voiding the season as a ridiculous idea.

Of course but you wouldn’t expect anyone to admit it

23 minutes ago, useless said:

I would have certainly called for it voided. Its just not the same season

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I honestly don’t believe that. I think most people on here have their heads screwed on, though I haven’t checked the opinions of other fanbases to compare and nor will I be.

If we were 4 points off the top or a CL place, I would bet my left nut 90%+ on here would be totally against voiding the season and continuing when it is safe to do so. Which is what I believe will happen anyway. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

That’s because of Liverpool 😀

nope, couldnt care less about Liverpool. If they win it in May its deserved, not the same league if goes pasy June

• Like 1

Sunderland furloughing their players is very interesting - if they aren't paying the additional 20%, then no Sunderland player now earns more than £2,500 per month.

In cases like that, can players simply refuse and terminate their contracts?

What's to stop Manchester United putting their squad on Furlough and telling Alexis Sanchez that until the end of May, his currrent salary of around £1,600,000 a month will be reduced to £2,500 a month?

34 minutes ago, jim said:

If we were 4 points off the top or a CL place, I would bet my left nut 90%+ on here would be totally against voiding the season and continuing when it is safe to do so. Which is what I believe will happen anyway. 

You might be right yes but I gave 12th as an example not near the top or a CL spot, which would be a bit of a stretch to fall under the definition of "a better position", which to me implied not in the relegation zone. I don't see why anyone who can appreciate the absurdity of trying to finish the season would care about it being voided if we were 12th instead of 19th? We would still avoid relegation, job done for the (not) season.

Edited by fightoffyour

The FA have just said the football season may not  able to be  finished. Like others have said this is probably just a ridiculous charade by the leagues to show that they have tried to restart the football and will wait for the governments in Europe to stop them in order to try to claw some of the tv money back somehow.

Edited by The Fun Factory

FIFA/UEFA need to say to TV companies that if they leave their current season TV money in the leagues, then next season that thay can have all 3.00 pm kick offs available to screen for free on a pay as you watch basis. They will get their money back.  Maybe once the outstanding money is paid back future games payment split 50/50 with the clubs.  

If protecting TV revenue is the be all and end all this seems a pragmatic solution. 

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Wesley and Heaton not able to play even if declared fit (assuming the league continues).

See there is another thorny issue.

So we lose our number 1 and he's not registered because we sign a new number 1 (Reina) on a temporary contract.  Are they seriously trying to say that we can compel Reina to keep playing for us beyond the length of the contract he signed up for?  He probably doesn't want to, it's not exactly been a fun time so far has it? We won't have budgeted to pay both his wages AND Heatons beyond the dates agreed so it becomes a drain on our resources.

So really they HAVE to allow us to release Reina on time and play Heaton instead, but then you are allowing different squads to compete so once again the integrity of the League is broken. 

It's all just so silly. 

• Like 1