Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Them 2 games in hand looks really nice now, just such a shame its not an easier couple of games!

This is nerve wracking!

Not that nice when the next 3 are leicester, Chelsea and wolves.....

Leicester have only taken one more point than us in their last ten games and we've played a game less than then in that time, Wolves are constantly dropping points against the division's weaker sides, I said last week that despite the fact that they'd just beat Spurs away we couldn't rely on them in their next three games against our relegation rivals as they'll play well against the teams top teams and then drop points against the divisions weaker teams, today has probably cost them their chances of Champions league football, unless they win the Europa. We've also got a chance against Chelsea as they have an injury crisis, and like Wolves have dropped a lot points against weaker opposition.

Edited by useless

Main thing is points needed for 17th hasn't increased with likes of Bournemouth and Watford losing.

If you need 35 points to finish 17th we still have more than a decent chance. Anything higher and it becomes far more complicated.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Main thing is points needed for 17th hasn't increased with likes of Bournemouth and Watford losing.

If you need 35 points to finish 17th we still have more than a decent chance. Anything higher and it becomes far more complicated.

Yep. I always though you would need a record high point tally to survive this season but it doesn't look to be the case at all.

As you say. At current rate 35-36 would be enough. Although 38 in my opinion is the magical number.

• Like 1

6 of our last 10 are at home. Generally we’ve played well at home and there isn’t a single team left to play at Villa Park that we can’t get points from.

However, I’m slightly concerned that if the Corona Virus panic continues and games are played behind closed doors that this could take away our home advantage. Especially so as the likes of Bournemouth wouldn't even notice the difference.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Elton said:

6 of our last 10 are at home. Generally we’ve played well at home and there isn’t a single team left to play at Villa Park that we can’t get points from.

However, I’m slightly concerned that if the Corona Virus panic continues and games are played behind closed doors that this could take away our home advantage. Especially so as the likes of Bournemouth wouldn't even notice the difference.

But also our players may feel less pressure without a nervous home crowd....who knows!

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But also our players may feel less pressure without a nervous home crowd....who knows!

Maybe but our home crowd has been generally very supportive this season and the team have responded to it. The crowd will now get even more behind the team in my view as we all know it’s needed. The Remi Garde team/fan connection days (or lack of it) are thankfully long gone.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Elton said:

Yeah a full house at home is a big bonus for us, when we're trying hard and going for it and the crowd gets up it gives us something extra. Would be a big loss for us if things go like it has here for Serie A. That said, going away and trying to get points on the road might become less daunting. Swings and roundabouts....

• Like 4

I'd say that was an almost perfect set of results again for us. 2 games in hand so it's really all down to us. Newcastle and Palace should be safe when we play them, with Newcastle in the 1/4 final of the FA cup as well, they might both have switched off when we play them. Palace on a Monday night at home too.

The Newcastle game was due to be on 21st March but that weekend is the FA cup now. So that should be moved to mid-week, which seems to suit us. Sheff Utd at home will be mid-week too. All of which I think favours us. We seem hopeless at 3pm on Saturday.

We shouldn't be building the opposition up to be something they're not just because of their names, all of those teams with the excpetion of Liverpool have shown very indifferent form this season, and we're capale of giving anyone a good game at Villa Park.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, useless said:

We shouldn't be building the opposition up to be something they're not just because of their names, all of those teams with the excpetion of Liverpool have shown very indifferent form this season, and we're capale of giving anyone a good game at Villa Park.

Exactly right. We were minutes away from beating Liverpool and seconds away from drawing with Spurs. They were two of our best performances all season, so we do seem capable of raising our game for the "big" teams. That's why I still think we'll beat one of them at some point.

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Leicester, Chelsea, Wolves,  Liverpool, Man Utd next 5 games for us

God help us

I fancy us against Wolves, United and Chelsea at home, the latter 2 especially. It's the away fixtures that I'm worried about. We've shown we can perform at Leicester though and I really do hope we turn up. We have a striker now as well as Tyrone back.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I fancy us against Wolves, United and Chelsea at home, the latter 2 especially. It's the away fixtures that I'm worried about. We've shown we can perform at Leicester though and I really do hope we turn up. We have a striker now as well as Tyrone back.

Well Smith can't do what he did last time against Wolves.

We all know how dangerous they are on the counter. We played straight into their hands at the Molinux.