Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

To be brutally honest I think our biggest issue is players not working hard enough, putting a shift in, hassling and harrying, basically giving the most basic of expectations......working hard.

On paper this team has the quality to stay up, but for some reason the mentality of some of the players seems to be wrong.

So yeah, developing players is a medium to long term thing, expecting players to work hard is an immediate expectation, week in, week out, too often, for whatever reason, the players only seem to turn up 50% of the time.

If we do get relegated, imo the single biggest contributor to that will probably be how soft our team is most of the time.

Working hard isnt something special that we should thank them for, it's an expectation, of which quite a few regularly fail unfortunately, for whatever reason that might be.

Agree.

Its the job of the Coach to get the maximum out of the players he has. They can all have off days, or falter in games, but we’ve had too many performances where too many haven’t showed up.

When we show up our quality is on a par with all our rivals, and we have an edge in Jack.

The Coach simply has to find a way to get our higher performance levels more regularly. He can do it, he has done it, but it needs to mor3 often.

Far more than tactics, substitutions, player types, playing style, for me, it’s this that’s the key.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rodders said:

yep get something tomorrow night then they will be geed up to need to beat Watford. 

The way this season has gone they'll comfortably beat us but Vardy and Ndidi will get injured, both will miss Watford and they'll lose that 1-0 with barely a shot at goal.

10 minutes ago, Farlz said:

World class Phil Foden disasterclass today, that little thing was fun for a week. 

He struggled out wide today but thought he was decent when they moved him centrally. Sterling is just having one of those scoring droughts when he looks like Wesley finishing.

20 minutes ago, Rodders said:

united winning helps to ensure liverpool will have the title sown up by the time they play us at least. 

Yes, although difficult to know if that will help us or not. They will be playing without any pressure at all and could blow us away. Maybe best if they stay in CL and start resting players. I heard their kids are meant to be good, maybe they can play them..

• Like 1

Watching the man utd v man city game I noticed United set up defensively exactly as we did.

Very narrow with the fullbacks tucked in at the back but the midfield also very narrow, allowing city's wingers to pretty much stand in as much space as they wanted out wide.

So my question is what did united do better than us to limit their clear cut chances, or did we simply face a better city.

20 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

So my question is what did united do better than us to limit their clear cut chances, or did we simply face a better city.

They didn't play hoofball.

Used the ball very well when they won the ball.

54 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

They have some very fast forward players that were always available as out balls, we didn't. The defence and midfield could therefore hold a strong deep defensive shape knowing they could hit balls over the top/ down the wings and relieve the pressure.

We lack real pace up front/ on the wings

1 hour ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Watching the man utd v man city game I noticed United set up defensively exactly as we did.

Very narrow with the fullbacks tucked in at the back but the midfield also very narrow, allowing city's wingers to pretty much stand in as much space as they wanted out wide.

Bought players for 10 times the price of ours? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Better quality I'd say, that's what was working better for them in a same layout. Also there players don't make anywhere near the same mistakes as we do.

9 hours ago, Enda said:

I’d like us to play a little bit more hoofball tbh.

Yeah in defence to just clear the ball when were being bombarded, I agree hoofball all the way to just try reset the field.

11 hours ago, jjaacckk91 said:

the obvious answer is better players, as much as people are enjoying utd's decline and tagging every single one of their players with "he's shit mate" they still have better players than us in key positions and maybe more importantly they have experience in key positions and in reality you could deep dive in to man utd and suggest that they have a mental issue which has lead to inconsistencies and lack of turning up (matic's problem for the last year or so for example has been that he's turned in to a proper lazy ****)

you then look at city and can definitely target them with the mental side of the game leading to inconsistencies, the league has gone, the CL is coming, the level dips in and out, that's why they're so off this season, easy to raise your performance for 90 mins and pick up a cup, you can say its the derby but that's now utd beating city 3 times out of 4 this season, so maybe city are suffering from the same "they want it more" thing that plagues us during local games

the mental side of football is very undervalued but it has a major impact on the PL

but of course lets just blame smith instead 

13 hours ago, jjaacckk91 said:

That United team cost around 400 million if not more. It’s not really a fair comparison. 

But to answer your question they played 3 at the back so hadn’t set up how we did. They defended the dink over the top for the wingers to run on to much better than we did because of the extra man. Also defended corners much better.  I’d argue they ‘parked the bus’ much better than we did.