Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Or it shows how far Burnley have come. Given them some credit, been well run for years unlike our horror show of the last 10 years. 

They are a well organized side and work hard for each other but they are by no means a great football team.

Probably the last team you would promote if you tried to get new people into football.

They are an awful team to watch.

Edited by villalad21

5 more wins starting against Leicester on monday.

This weekend is what last weekend should have been. 

We have had extra time off compared to most of the teams around us, hopefully we have been working on the midfield which for me is the biggest weakness for us.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Results have gone our way and put it nicely back into our hands, I know it's a big IF, but if we beat Leicester I'll be a lot more confident we can stay up!

Even a point at Leicester would be a fantastic result. It’s the home games we need to win.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

Because, like the games before that, we fall apart and hand easy goals to teams. Even if we had fallen apart half as much we'd probably be on another 6 points.

I sometimes question if Grealish is the right captain.

Making Jack captain was an absolutely brilliant move and for me had a huge part in us gaining promotion, the long winning streak and the player he has developed into - no idea at all why you would question that decision.

Great results for us today, I was fearing a lot worse prior kick off. Lots of twists and turns still to come but today pretty much confirms 3 from 6 to go down.

Monday will be tough and I would take a point if offered now but not for any of our home games, we should (and will) be aiming for 3 each game! 

Edited by WakefieldVillan
  • Like 1

We need to beat one of the better teams sooner or later if we're to have any chance of survival, no better time than to do it this Monday, don't want to keep leaving it and leaving it until we suddenly find ourselves going into one of these difficult games knowing that we must win to have any chance of surviving, better to take the pressure off ourselves as soon as possible.

Whisper it quietly but we may be o.k next week aswell.....

Bournemouth home to Palace who are one of in form teams in the league.

West Ham home to Wolves who I reckon can hurt West Ham on the break.

Watford home to Leicester so difficult one for them.

I think next weekend is going to be huge considering we then don't play for three weeks. Chelsea is really a crunch one in the run in that will tell me quite a bit if we're got the belief to stay up considering their injuries and hit and miss form since December.

Edited by VillaChris

We just need the players to put the same amount of effort into our remaining games as they did in the cup final. It sounds like a big ask, and I’m sure the players probably think that too, but that is what’s required.

Run yourselves into the ground if you have to. Do that, and there’s no reason we can get points in any/all of our remaining fixtures!

Let’s start this final run with a good performance and a win or draw against Leicester.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Didn't Burnley have the worst form in the league when we won up there? I remember they didn't have a shot on target until their goal in 80th minute and they were worse than Newcastle at getting shots on target in ther period.

Fair play to Dyche. Outstanding form in last two months and it's not like they've had an easy schedule. Still wouldn't want to watch them every week though, they're the new Stoke.

I'm sure anyone watching noted how deeper their back 4 was. So easy how Spurs could just run in on ball over the top when we played them.

It seems we either stop teams forms when we beat them, or most likely beat them and make them go again as what happened with Burnley. lol

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Bottom of the form table. Not the place to be coming in to the last quarter of the season :(

I guess it depends how you’d like to view it 🙂 

In my happy little world we are TOP of the Form Table of those that matter 🙂

Last 5 games

Aston Villa 4

Brighton 4

West Ham 4

Watford 4

Bournemouth 4

Norwich 4

Southampton 3

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rob182 said:

We just need the players to put the same amount of effort into our remaining games as they did in the cup final. It sounds like a big ask, and I’m sure the players probably think that too, but that is what’s required.

Run yourselves into the ground if you have to. Do that, and there’s no reason we can get points in any/all of our remaining fixtures!

Let’s start this final run with a good performance and a win or draw against Leicester.

Effort is the minimum required in order to get results yes, but that by itself won't be enough to get results. We also need tactics and a game plan which I thought was lacking in the cup final.

All we did was was defending in our own box and hoping to nick a goal. It really looked like damage limitation tactics.

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Effort is the minimum required in order to get results yes, but that by itself won't be enough to get results. We also need tactics and a game plan which I thought was lacking in the cup final.

All we did was was defending in our own box and hoping to nick a goal. It really looked like damage limitation tactics.

So basically we played the same way as 18 other teams did against City this season. I watch them a lot and it’s the only way to play against them. Sometimes you are able to take your chances on the break and score whilst keeping them out the other end. 

There is no other way to play against City because they are just that good. The important thing is being switched on for 90 minutes. Unfortunately we weren't and that was our downfall. 

6 hours ago, terrytini said:

And Saints, Spam and Burnley have all Conceeded more than us over that period 👍

I do love your positive attitude mate. It’s what we need. If I’m being honest I don’t think we’ll get anything from Leicester but I’m hoping to see a good performance that the team can take a lot of heart from. Anything else will be a bonus. 

Then we need to aim to beat Chelsea at home in front of a full house. These players really need the12th man more than ever. 

That would put us 16th with 9 games to play. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So basically we played the same way as 18 other teams did against City this season. I watch them a lot and it’s the only way to play against them. Sometimes you are able to take your chances on the break and score whilst keeping them out the other end. 

There is no other way to play against City because they are just that good. The important thing is being switched on for 90 minutes. Unfortunately we weren't and that was our downfall. 

Wolves had 62 % possession against them and 21-7 in shots when they beat them 3-2

Just now, villalad21 said:

Wolves had 62 % possession against them and 21-7 in shots when they beat them 3-2

Haha I was going to mention that one game but I knew you’d find it. You think those stats  would have been the same if City had 11 men for 90 minutes? If you do then you’re lying. 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Haha I was going to mention that one game but I knew you’d find it. You think those stats  would have been the same if City had 11 men for 90 minutes? If you do then you’re lying. 

Still have to manage to take advantage of it.

You think we would have done that with our current history of playing against 10 men?

Regardless you got to have the balls to actually try to play when you get the chance. In the final too often we just brainlessly hoofed it away whenever we won the ball back.

Edited by villalad21