Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Complete bullshit fishing expedition that was raised a few weeks ago and some Villa hating journo at the Daily Heil has decided to recycle it. It's a reasonable valuation and the line about EFL and Premier League loosely aligned is rag talk for we're making up shit and throwing it at the wall to see if it sticks

Yeah did think it was recycled, I've just read the original article. And of course it's the Mail... thought it was worth posting in case 

1 hour ago, Fox1884 said:

Rodgers said after the game it was only a twinged arse muscle and nothing serious, should hopefully be alright for the 2nd leg 😅

Good. I cant stand the bloke but he is that kind of player, winds up the oppo. Never want to him him seriously injured tho.

Mings planting him on his arse a few times would do for me :)

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

36 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Mail reporting Prem league are looking at our stadium sale and also says we are close and gonna have to sell players in the summer!!

Hopefully the stadium thing will be ok as they getting valuations to check it. Bottom of the article is worrying though...

Premier League probe Aston Villa's £56million stadium sale https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7917941/Premier-League-probe-Aston-Villas-56million-stadium-sale.html?ito=native_share_article-top

• The sale of Villa Park is still yet to be authorised by the Premier League
  • It was sold in May 2018 in a contentious deal in order to comply with EFL rules
  • However, Aston Villa could face a points deduction if they are found guilty 

Aston Villa’s sale of their ground to a company controlled by the club’s owners has yet to be signed off by the Premier League, raising the prospect that they could follow Derby and Sheffield Wednesday in being charged as a result of the controversial accounting practice. 

Absolutely nothing story and the killer line in the whole piece is that the EFL themselves valued Derby's ground as worth £49m. So are we saying that a) Villa's ground (and the land it sits on) isn't worth £8m more? And b) that even if we were a couple of million short that the PL would dock us points?!

It's nothing. No one is questioning the actual sale (although they're pissed it's a loop hole) so it's all about valuation and, if anything, Villa's was undervalued! If they're clever they could probably sell it again to another subsidiary for closer to market value and give us a bit more cash yet!!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Below 4th the league is really congested. We are 16th but only 9 points off 5th. Put the kind of run together we did the arse end of last season and we can grab a Europa league place 😀

It is ridiculously tight. If you'd asked fans in August whether they'd have taken being 5 points off Arsenal by January they'd have bitten your hand off (and probably died laughing!).

BUT, there is a small gap forming from 15th downwards and I hope we either make a little leap forward in the next 4 or 5 games or just try to be better than at least two of the four teams around us (assuming Norwich are stuffed at point). We're in a mini league with Watford, Bournemouth, West Ham and Brighton. We've a point against Brighton, 3 against Watford and face Bournemouth next.

Our last game of the season against West Ham could be interesting...

• Like 2

I’d say it’s better to take it game by game. Southampton took it that way and now suddenly looking at top half.

For now I’m worried about Leicester game. It’s really important and hopefully we make it through. Then think again about Bournemouth.

With Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd and Chelsea all being ordinary this season, the lower teams are getting extra points than usual. Because of that, it does look like it will take more points than usual to stay up. 

For me, Villa have to get to 40 points to have a decent chance of staying up and, to do that, we simply have to take points off teams that are sat in the top half. Hopefully, when we play them at Villa Park, we can take points off the four teams mentioned above. If we could get 5 or more points from them we will be doing ourselves a big favour. 

15 more points please Villa - no less. 

15 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

With Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd and Chelsea all being ordinary this season, the lower teams are getting extra points than usual. Because of that, it does look like it will take more points than usual to stay up. 

For me, Villa have to get to 40 points to have a decent chance of staying up and, to do that, we simply have to take points off teams that are sat in the top half. Hopefully, when we play them at Villa Park, we can take points off the four teams mentioned above. If we could get 5 or more points from them we will be doing ourselves a big favour. 

15 more points please Villa - no less. 

The season we went down 37pts got 18th relegated. The last 3 seasons 18th was on 34 33 34. 17th survived with 40 36 36. The 40pt one was 2 wins clear of relegation points. 

20 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

4 wins 3 draws 7 losses

Surely we can manage this?

If we win at Bournemouth, things would look much easier. Especially if other results helped us too. The sooner we put wins together the more comfortable we become and the more confidence we gain

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Losses against Wolves, Leicester, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Southampton, Chelsea

I don't think home wins against Wolves Spurs Arsenal and Chelsea is out of the question. Wolves derby and the rest have had patches of questionable form all season

Next round Norwich plays Newcastle, actually they're the sort of team that could do some problems to Newcastle, although Bruce might park the bus anyway. That's why I wanted Norwich to get a result out of Spurs so that they could have some hope which would make them upping their game.

Then Watford and Everton, another 6 pointers somehow. If Watford won that, then Everton will still be in it (in numbers).

Another 6 pointers between between West Ham and Brighton, Bournemouth against us. Those games are proper 6 pointers.

Palace Vs Sheff Utd, Burnley Vs Arsenal.

The more I think about our next game, the more I realize how important it is. Even Palace could get dragged to this.