Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

It’s irrelevant at this stage, and a tad obsessive. They’ve actually had some reasonable results.
If we had played exactly the same fixtures against the same Opposition personnel I would still expect to be behind them at this stage as they have a settled squad coming off 13th PL finish last season and also invested heavily in the Summer whilst were were basically 5th in the Championship last season starting with a virtually new and unfamiliar team. Let’s review matters in May. I couldn’t care if we finish above or below Newcastle, this is a season of transition and consolidation. We just need to stay up.

This, some people over think things!!

17 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Draws don't keep you up wins do. If you end the season with 40 points you could have 13 wins and 1 draw and 24 losses or you could have 10 wins 10 draws and 18 losses. The point is as long as we win enough games draws won't matter. It would be nice to prevent losing points from winning positions but it won't be what decides our season. 

Well, it kept us up under Mcleish, I guess we only had 7 wins by then (not sure, but I remember something like that).

16 hours ago, thunderball said:

It’s irrelevant at this stage, and a tad obsessive. They’ve actually had some reasonable results.
If we had played exactly the same fixtures against the same Opposition personnel I would still expect to be behind them at this stage as they have a settled squad coming off 13th PL finish last season and also invested heavily in the Summer whilst were were basically 5th in the Championship last season starting with a virtually new and unfamiliar team. Let’s review matters in May. I couldn’t care if we finish above or below Newcastle, this is a season of transition and consolidation. We just need to stay up.

In a couple of weeks after we play United, we'd have almost an identical set of fixtures played, while also having played each other. Would be a good time to revisit this conversation:

Arsenal, Norwich, Spurs, Brighton, Liverpool, West Ham, Bournemouth, Wolves, United, City,  Watford, Chelsea, Leicester 

vs:

Arsenal Norwich, Spurs, Brighton, Liverpool, West Ham,  Bournemouth, Wolves, United, City, Everton, Burnley, Palace 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Really looking forward to the Norwich - Watford game tomorrow.

Must be nerve wrecking for both teams supporters.

Got a feeling Watford will just edge it.

I don't. I think Norwich win this. Really a draw is what we want 

• Like 1

Wolves playing a very strong side tonight, apart from Kilman instead of Saiss or Bennett at the back pretty much the strongest starting eleven that they could have named. Jota not in the squad, not sure if that's because he's injured.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Wolves playing a very strong side tonight, apart from Kilman instead of Saiss or Bennett at the back pretty much the strongest starting eleven that they could have named. Jota not in the squad, not sure if that's because he's injured.

Don't think it will matter that much on Sunday.

I think this whole idea of players not being able to cope with 2 games in 4 days is non sense.

Back in the day teams played 40-50 games a season with a 15 player squad.

These are top fit athletes.

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Don't think it will matter that much on Sunday.

I think this whole idea of players not being able to cope with 2 games in 4 days is non sense.

Back in the day teams played 40-50 games a season with a 15 player squad.

These are top fit athletes.

The games looks nothing like it did "back in the day." Teams press the entire length of the pitch, cover far more distance and require all 10 field players to participate in offense and defense.  Wolves would definitely rotate their squad I'd they could but they lack the depth of a squad like City or Liverpool. Maybe you don't remember but MONs failure to rotate the squad during Villa's last European venture cost us dearly.  

Wolves, per The Athletic, have a cutting edge recovery program that starts the moment the players leave the pitch. I guess we will see how well it works in a couple days. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't. I think Norwich win this. Really a draw is what we want 

A draw would suit us big time, along with an Everton win as I can't see them staying down there much longer, a Newcastle loss would also be nice. Burnley West Ham draw. In fact if other results go our way that group of teams between 5th and 17th would all be very close on points whilst starting to put a small gap between 17th and the bottom 3!

They must be doing something right with regards to fitness, Boly's injury is the only major one I can think of they've had since Nuno was appointed, they also score a lot of late goals, seems to be something of a speciality for them. Looking at their previous results immediately after playing in the Europa they've beat Man City, lost to Everton, and drawn all the other games against Leicester, Burnley, Palace and Newcastle, three of those draws have come away from home, so not the worst results.

53 minutes ago, useless said:

They must be doing something right with regards to fitness, Boly's injury is the only major one I can think of they've had since Nuno was appointed, they also score a lot of late goals, seems to be something of a speciality for them. Looking at their previous results immediately after playing in the Europa they've beat Man City, lost to Everton, and drawn all the other games against Leicester, Burnley, Palace and Newcastle, three of those draws have come away from home, so not the worst results.

Maybe starting the season early has meant they have been slightly ahead of other teams in regards to peak fitness.  Hence all the late goals.  I think in the second half of the season all these games could really take its toll on them. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

We really need to win Sunday. A defeat and there is a lot of pressure on the Newcastle game and there is a real danger we lose that one as Brucey will be desperate to get one over on us. 

We could be looking at 4 defeats on the spin and we will firmly be in the Tom tit.

So against Man City, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool we have won the first halves of those games a total of 3-0, and lost the second halves a total of 11-1. That's bizarre, right? Does it tell us anything, other than that we're garbage at closing out games?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, turvontour said:

So against Man City, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool we have won the first halves of those games a total of 3-0, and lost the second halves a total of 11-1. That's bizarre, right? Does it tell us anything, other than that we're garbage at closing out games?

It tells me we are too passive in the second half. Are out of energy and reactive rather than proactive when making subs. It is a massive flaw what was the point in bringing players on against City after the 2nd goal. You could tell we had gone into a fetal position yet Smith didn't attempt to shake it up by bringing on a sub. Put Anwar on and hourihane for mcginn and we would have had some energy. We waited until we conceded and we conceded straight away after as well. It was essentially pointless.