Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They've got more steel in CM this year, Billing always showed potential at Huddersfield and he wouldn't have been the worst signing for us, just needs a bit more guidance as raw talent is there. Him and Lerma (Colombia's DM in the world cup) is really protecting their back 4 well and also getting the ball quickly to their wide players.

3 clean sheets from 4 and they've only conceded more than 1 goal in 3 games this season (to Man. City, Leicester and West Ham) so huge defensive improvement compared to last two seasons.

Always a club that I enjoy watching as a neutral as they sign lots of under 25 players. Any Man. United players who'd make our team btw? :lol:I'd imagine you've heard all the criticism but probably couldn't believe how dismal they actually are live.

yeah sometimes the media overreact but they're spot on here. they were appalling. even maguire didnt look anything special. i always remember their fans were a noisy bunch whenever they came to VP too...barely heard them saturday, and the vitality isn't exactly the sort of place that drowns out away fans. how the mighty have fallen eh

2 hours ago, useless said:

Looking at the table we're losing too many games, only Norwich and Southampton have lost more matches than us, and at the same time we've won as many games as United in tenth place. Obviously giving away to many late goals, we've lost nine points thanks to conceding goals in the last ten minutes in the games against Spurs, Burnley, Arsenal, and Liverpool, doesn't matter the quality of the opposition it's something that needs sorting out. Need to start learning how to turn some of these losses into draws.

Draws don't keep you up wins do. If you end the season with 40 points you could have 13 wins and 1 draw and 24 losses or you could have 10 wins 10 draws and 18 losses. The point is as long as we win enough games draws won't matter. It would be nice to prevent losing points from winning positions but it won't be what decides our season. 

Whichever way you look at it, it's still better to draw matches rather than lose them, the difference it makes in points can keep you up come the end of the season. If we'd have drawn just two of our six losses this season we'd be twelve in the league now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve popped in out of on topic today and all I see are negative posts and criticism from you.

Who is it embarrassing for? I’m not embarrassed, I doubt the club, manager and players feel embarrassed.  Does anyone apart from you feel embarrassed by the fact Newcastle (a team that has been in the top flight for the past 2 seasons) are above us?

Question to other VT’s. Are you embarrassed?

Steve Bruce is their manager.

A manager i don't rate at all in this league. And their squad is worse than ours.

Which Newcastle player would you take in our starting eleven, if any?

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Embarrassing that Newcastle are above us

The Premier league is a marathon not a sprint !!

Don't worry about who's ahead of you after 10K, worry about wether you are feeling good and still have gas in the tank. Its about where you are at the finish line that counts.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s irrelevant. I wouldn’t take any Sheffield United players either and their 6th. 

It’s not good that we’re 16th in the league and we need to improve.. but this ‘embarrassing to be below Newcastle’ stuff is very childish in my opinion mate. 

How is it irrelevant?

We have a better squad so we should be doing better.

Wolves and Newcastle games are so massive. Lose them both and we're in big trouble.

Just now, villalad21 said:

How is it irrelevant?

We have a better squad so we should be doing better.

Wolves and Newcastle games are so massive. Lose them both and we're in big trouble.

Ok so if Newcastle finish 10th and we finish 11th would you find it embarrassing?

We have a better squad in your opinion. Doesn’t make it true.

32 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

The Premier league is a marathon not a sprint !!

Don't worry about who's ahead of you after 10K, worry about wether you are feeling good and still have gas in the tank. Its about where you are at the finish line that counts.

Cheers, but we're not exactly newcomers to the top flight (albeit some are wetting themselves). 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Steve Bruce is their manager.

A manager i don't rate at all in this league. And their squad is worse than ours.

Which Newcastle player would you take in our starting eleven, if any?

They were below us for the entire season until this weekend, after we played the top 2. Calm down. We're not finishing below them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, useless said:

For all the lampooning that Bruce gets on here, then you'd think most would be somewhat embarrased that we're below a team managed by him in the league.

In game week 11, for a single week (maybe the second one). Means absolutely nothing. 

• Like 1

I’m not embarrassed, it’s to be expected that Newcastle should be above us. They’ve got two seasons on us. It’s not embarrassing, but it is annoying. Only because I want to finish ahead of Bruce. The great news is, it’s still only November! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Cheers, but we're not exactly newcomers to the top flight (albeit some are wetting themselves). 

I wasn't trying to be a dick. I was just responding to the bedwetters.

• Like 1

The difference is we have played 4 of the 6 hardest teams we will play this season and lost in the last 15 minutes against 3 of them. And 2 of those games we could have had a penalty and VAR didn't check it.

In the next 8 games (to the halfway point) Newcastle play us, Crystal Palace, Burnley, City, Southampton, United, Sheffield, Bournemouth.

We have wolves, Newcastle, manure, Chelsea, Sheffield, Leicester, Southampton, Norwich (Watford so we have played every team once would make it fair).

So we play the 3 of the same teams assuming we get the same points as them from united, Sheffield and Southampton. I presume 4 to 7 points for both teams and will go with 5 each. The other 5 I'd say both Newcastle and us have one game which we don't have much of a chance of getting a point from city and Leicester so we remain on 5 points. We play each other so we should presume a draw (although I think we should be favoured for that game) so we are both on 6 points.

After that we have wolves, Chelsea and norwich/Watford (your choice) which I would expect us to pick between 4 and 7 points again so I will go with 4 as both Chelsea and wolves are ahead of us but in my opinion we could beat both. Newcastle have CP, Burnley and Bournemouth some of the tougher teams in the division and I think would be lucky to pick up 3 points. So we will probably be in similar points by the halfway point but we will have a far better goal difference. And I could easily see us 3 or 4 points ahead of them. 

• Like 1

It’s irrelevant at this stage, and a tad obsessive. They’ve actually had some reasonable results.
If we had played exactly the same fixtures against the same Opposition personnel I would still expect to be behind them at this stage as they have a settled squad coming off 13th PL finish last season and also invested heavily in the Summer whilst were were basically 5th in the Championship last season starting with a virtually new and unfamiliar team. Let’s review matters in May. I couldn’t care if we finish above or below Newcastle, this is a season of transition and consolidation. We just need to stay up.

• Like 1