Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Hopefully Everton lose today, but they're playing Southampton and Norwich next so might need them to do us a favour in those games. After they have a really difficult run of fixtures in December and then Man City away on January 1st.

Edited by useless

I think Sheffield will fall away perhaps drastically after Xmas, they'll just hope to have enough points on the board by then. I can see us carrying on with intermittent form for the rest of the season but we have to start winning the games against the Burnleys and sotons etc at home, without them it doesn't matter how many heroic defeats to the top teams we have we'll struggle to survive. 

Ideally I'd want Watford to continue this terrible form and be cut adrift as they will probably improve when idiot Deeney returns. That will leave in effect 2 relegation places, Norwich look the likeliest to fill one but the last is literally a toss up between about 7 teams. 

3 hours ago, zab6359 said:

See how they go in Jan without Zaha!

Even without Zaha going, they're still on 15 points. Should've been 13 while we should've been 12. Still only 4 points between us and them.

Their team isn't bad, they have a good manager. But I would definitely not rule them out of a relegation battle. The league is so tight this year. The only team you could say that will most likely go down are Norwich (they could still do some brilliant investment in January and do wonders like when they won the Championship without anyone expecting.

Watford is tricky one, they're playing well with desire. They have experience unlike us when we went down. Hopefully they complete bottling games and fail to get their first win. I think even if they just be above Norwich it will give them a huge boost.

Anyway we seem to score goals, only Spuds out of top 4 scored more than us (17), Arsenal scored 16 just like us.

During Houllier season, we were 18th after new year with only 21 points. We ended the season 9th with 48 points. I remember the disappointment when we lost to tesco bags under Mcallister. But then we've beaten Arsenal and Liverpool to go to top 10.

So basically we've been top half while being 18th after 21 games! It's not that we didn't bottle couple of games after that. All that difference came with Bent.

Our identity as a team is much better now. I think in reality 5 points from the next from the next 5, then 6-7 from the next 4. It won't be the end of the world. Although I think we're more than capable to get 14-16 points out of the next 9 games. That would put us on 25-27 points. I don't think many teams went down with that amount of points, I can only think of Blackpool and maybe Hull.

We have have a lesser winnable home games in the second half of the season. 5 against top 6 teams. So just another 5 home games, against Norwich (and thats boxing day), Dingles, Watford, Sheff Utd and Palace. Thats the main fear, its not that we're playing badly away from home (apart from Palace game), but still home games will still be huge.

• Like 1

Actually a more stranger one, Lambert first season, we were 20 points after 24 games, 19th. 21 points after 25 games. Then we went in our best run under Lambert and got 20 points out of the last 13 games.

There is something strange (which shows the importance of having form towards the end of the season). Those two seasons were the best in our last 6 seasons in the PL. Yet we didn't have a bad points as them (apart from the relegation season). I remember us ending the season badly after beginning it reasonably under Mcleish and Lambert second season.

Well, I remember that Sherwood has saved us when he came (before bottling it the season after), but we were really a bad form under Lambert, I remember failing to score for months, but, 22 points after 27 games! I don't know how he managed to keep us up, and to take us to the cup final. Although that season ended by one of the worst performance at Southampton then losing to relegated Burnley before losing the final.

Anyway, Lambert and Sherwood managed to do all that, we've seen Smith doing more already when he turned the table and took us up.