Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Doesn't quite work like that. A lot of teams are everything from 10th-17th material. 

Take us an example. What players would you prefer from Everton's first 11 this season compared to ours? 

It never ceases to amaze me how few fans realise this.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It's not good Everton are down there.

When they inevitable picks up some form it means someone else have to take their place.

Hmmmmmmm.  Manchester United perfectly poised then. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I still find it unbelievable that Everton are down there in November.

Looking at their next 10 games they'll be down here for a while unless they take full 6 points from Southampton and Norwich games.

1 point from aways at Palace, us, Bournemouth, Burnley and Brighton is a dreadful return and their away fixture list is only going to get harder as the season goes on so will pile the pressure on them at Goodison to keep winning.

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not surprised considering they’ve spent £500 million on it.

Everton sign way too many players who've done their time at the top of the table and are in semi retirment mode. You look at Theo Walcott, he was doing nothing at Arsenal in last 18 months of his Arsenal career. Everton still sign him for 20m, has he even played 5 good games for them?

Even Delph hasn't really been that great since signing for them, he's really not that effective as a DM as we saw in his time here.

I don't think they've ever replaced Lukaku (similar to Spurs struggling for two years to get over selling Bale) and also losing Gana on eye of the season has really disrupted their midfield. Also odd they didn't get a CB in given how many injuries Mina gets.

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Also draw there would be just oh so lovely. 

Think I'd prefer to see Norwich win. They're awful away from home so don't see them picking up many points away and won't win enough at home to make up the difference.

At the back of my mind I keep thinking Watford will eventually have a streak of 4 wins from 5 games or something mad so less points they're on when that happens the better. It's like Wigan for many years would always be in bottom 3 and then hit incredible form from March onwards and stay up.

53 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Apart from the City and maybe Spurs game, there hasn't been a game this season we deserved to lose. That's incredible.

In terms of performances, we deserved to lose Palace game (ofcourse we were unlucky with bad refereeing).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It's not good Everton are down there.

When they inevitable picks up some form it means someone else have to take their place.

Its better having them below us with a chance to stay there than just us being directly above bottom 3. Although I understand your point by lets say Newcastle or someone else to be in their spot.

Anyway, a huge huge game against Dingles! What a boost would that give us if we win.

We need Norwich to up their game and not get beaten by Watford. We also need a draw from Soton and Everton. If Everton got below 3 points in their next two game they'll be there for a while. Us beating Dingles and potentially Barcodes could see us thinking of getting higher in than table than looking below. Especially if we keep improving. But even then we need to secure ourselves from any potential drop.

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Think I'd prefer to see Norwich win. They're awful away from home so don't see them picking up many points away and won't win enough at home to make up the difference.

At the back of my mind I keep thinking Watford will eventually have a streak of 4 wins from 5 games or something mad so less points they're on when that happens the better. It's like Wigan for many years would always be in bottom 3 and then hit incredible form from March onwards and stay up.

Any time two rival relegation candidates play each other we would be best off with a draw.  We don't know which team will be in better shape at the end of the season, so we just have to hope that the fewest possible total points are awarded among our rivals whenever they play each other and that means a draw (2 points awarded) rather than a win for either team (3 points).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Apart from the City and maybe Spurs game, there hasn't been a game this season we deserved to lose. That's incredible.

I disagree. Arsenal were all over us in that second half and fully deserved the win.

Although we fought well against Liverpool they dominated every single stat and deserved the win.

I also thought CP were the better team on the day although we got robbed by the ref in the end.

Looking at the table we're losing too many games, only Norwich and Southampton have lost more matches than us, and at the same time we've won as many games as United in tenth place. Obviously giving away to many late goals, we've lost nine points thanks to conceding goals in the last ten minutes in the games against Spurs, Burnley, Arsenal, and Liverpool, doesn't matter the quality of the opposition it's something that needs sorting out. Need to start learning how to turn some of these losses into draws.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Silva will be sacked before long. Wouldnt be surprised for them to soon go all out for Eddie Howe, who is an Everton fan, and they get the instant bounce. 

had to look this up...had no idea! that would be bournemouth absolutely ****, i'd put money on them being relegated if that happened

8 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Silva will be sacked before long. Wouldnt be surprised for them to soon go all out for Eddie Howe, who is an Everton fan, and they get the instant bounce. 

Don't see him leaving Bournemouth mid season. Think a target for Bournemouth should be 7th, do what Wolves and Burnley did and possibly make europe. They're no worse than those from what I've seen this season, actually keeping plenty of clean sheets now which was always a big criticism of his style.

Philip Billing was a really good signing for them.

4 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Any time two rival relegation candidates play each other we would be best off with a draw.  We don't know which team will be in better shape at the end of the season, so we just have to hope that the fewest possible total points are awarded among our rivals whenever they play each other and that means a draw (2 points awarded) rather than a win for either team (3 points).

Fair enough but not every single six pointer outside of our games is always going to end in a draw, we won't be that lucky.

I think in long term Norwich win will do us less damage. Watford win and suddenly they're on 8 points so straight away right back in the mix. They'd then fancy getting out of bottom 3 once they get their home form going.

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

had to look this up...had no idea! that would be bournemouth absolutely ****, i'd put money on them being relegated if that happened

Yes Bournemouth would probably be like Charlton post Curbs or Bolton in the years after Big Sam left. As we've seen it really dosen't take much to turn a solid mid table team into serious relegation side and losing your greatest ever manager would certainly contribute.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yes Bournemouth would probably be like Charlton post Curbs or Bolton in the years after Big Sam left. As we've seen it really dosen't take much to turn a solid mid table team into serious relegation side and losing your greatest ever manager would certainly contribute.

i didnt go to the villa game sat as wanted to watch the rugby, and last min was offered a ticket to the afcb vs man u game and i really struggled to see many of that starting 11 that i'd have for villa. callum wilson, ake and that's about it (probably h. wilson too but he's not theirs). howe just seems to have a knack of getting that team playing, fair play to him...but dont see how they would stay in the league if he left. they're not building a stadium either so he wont have that legacy that he wants from being in this league

Watford are only one point better off than we were after eleven games the season we were relegated, in some ways they're actually worse off because whilst we were four points adrift of safety, they're six points adrift, they also have worse goal difference than we had by seven goals. If they don't start winning soon it's going to start looking like an impossible task for them.

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

i didnt go to the villa game sat as wanted to watch the rugby, and last min was offered a ticket to the afcb vs man u game and i really struggled to see many of that starting 11 that i'd have for villa. callum wilson, ake and that's about it (probably h. wilson too but he's not theirs). howe just seems to have a knack of getting that team playing, fair play to him...but dont see how they would stay in the league if he left. they're not building a stadium either so he wont have that legacy that he wants from being in this league

They've got more steel in CM this year, Billing always showed potential at Huddersfield and he wouldn't have been the worst signing for us, just needs a bit more guidance as raw talent is there. Him and Lerma (Colombia's DM in the world cup) is really protecting their back 4 well and also getting the ball quickly to their wide players.

3 clean sheets from 4 and they've only conceded more than 1 goal in 3 games this season (to Man. City, Leicester and West Ham) so huge defensive improvement compared to last two seasons.

Always a club that I enjoy watching as a neutral as they sign lots of under 25 players. Any Man. United players who'd make our team btw? :lol: I'd imagine you've heard all the criticism but probably couldn't believe how dismal they actually are live.