mjmooney

6 hours ago, MrSmirch said:

---------------Steer

Elmo Mings Tuanzebe Hause

---------McGinn Whelan

--------------Hourihane

El Ghazi Tammy Grealish

I like the look of that. 

I know Glen made an error and I know Connor spanked in a worldie....... but there's a reason we have stopped conceding goals in the last few months and Glen has been a key part of the change. He stays in the starting line up for me. We're winning, not chasing. 

Adomah's has gone and the constant looking forward before stopping and rolling it back to Elmo is making us lopsided and stops us spreading their three centre halfs accross the full width of the pitch. Good servant and tries hard, but for me, Green should now be given his head and an extended run. He needs confidence and the managers faith. He starts for me. 

Taylor......woeful in possession but keeps our shape and doesn't get caught out much. Torn, but for consistency of the back four....he starts instead of Hause. But only just. 

No idea who the Baggies will start up front, Rodrigues presumably. Mings to stand on him in a way he couldn't with Gayle. Huge loss for them....such a shame. 

I feel so much more confident than I did at any point prior to the 74 mins on sat. Just got to hold our nerve and keep faith with what has worked so well for last few motnths. 

Utv

• Like 2

Still terrified of us messing this up. Pessimism has too often been realism as a Villa fan in recent years... Or practically anything since the turn of the century 😢

Come on Villa, two more games...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Serious question .... why Whelan?

He's our best DM and we're taking a one goal lead into the game so it's likely WBA will attack us.

They got no Gayle, it's nothing to fear now.

Green and Hourihane starts for me and let's tear them apart, we keep the same approach. The strength of our team is not to defend leads it's to make leads.

Edited by villalad21

I'd play Adomah. Wasn't great last time but I trust him defensively more than Green.  And even when it seems he's not delivering he usually at least tries to do right things and is where he's supposed to be. Whelan or Hourihane is a tough one. Whelan makes more sense in this game but I think Hourihane should always play because of set pieces and goal scoring. While he may not offer anything else he's by far our best option in corners and free kicks and always capable of scoring. I'd probably start him this time. Changing anything else would be just insane. So has to be: Steer, Elmohamady, Tuanzebe, Mings, Taylor, Hourihane, McGinn, Grealish, Adomah, El-Ghazi, Abraham

Not going to happen but I really hope Hause starts instead of Taylor. Yes Taylor has done really well defensively but is agonising on the ball, Hause is equally as good at defending but is far Superior with the ball. Albion will also bombard our box with high balls from set pieces, having another tall lad at the back will help to nullify that threat. It makes sense but Deano seems to want keep changes to a minimal.

Taylor is quicker than Hause, but Albions only pacey player is now suspended (but they don't really attack the wings anyway). The extra height and better passing from the left flank could be the deciding factor. 

Well speaking with my mate and looking at their forums, they are certainly very confident. I’m sure they will be making a lot of noise Tuesday too. We’ll need to take advantage of then being over-wound up on the pitch. 

Nothing like an early goal for us to sort that out...FWIW, i’d stick with the same starting team.

As disappointing as Adomah was, he does put in a shift defensively and they did very little down the left last game. Whelan, he’s suited for this sort of game. If anyone’s being dropped for Hourihane it’s McGinn who didn’t have his best game on Sat. Nice to have options eh...

massive game, we need them to stand up. We have enough big characters to do so but this will be the toughest game of the season. I hope we treat it so. 

Edited by Djemba_Villan

How can conor not start after he changed the game? I don't think whelan will make. A cock up like that again after Saturday. 

I'd bring him on later on game to shore up the midfield. Take the game to them earlier. I think montero will play for gayle. He is tricky so weneed to be alert

Conor won't and shouldn't play instead of Whelan because he doesn't have the mindset to play the deepest of the three. We have been overrun many a time when he has played there and for me when under the cosh he quickly disappears.

If there is someway to squeeze him in on the right side(ludicrous suggestion perhaps) I would be all for it, just to get his set pieces into the side.

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It's probably better for El ghazi that it's a late game as he can eat no? Also won't elmo be fasting as well? 

Interestingly, sun set is during half-time tomorrow, so i imagine they will have everything ready to refuel then.