Cup Final Two (of three) - pre-match

mjmooney

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It's probably better for El ghazi that it's a late game as he can eat no? Also won't elmo be fasting as well? 

I’m not that up on religion as I’m a godless ape, but I think during Ramadan Muslims fast during the hours of daylight... so presumably he could eat if it’s dark by kick off, but not sure what’s best medically. If he’s been fasting all day, is having food just before running for 90mins the best idea?

I think I would go:

Steer 

Elmo       Mings      Tuanzebe      Taylor

Adomah    Hourihane  McGinn   El Ghazi

Grealish

Tammy 

I think Adomah did ok, and wouldn’t mind seeing him start again. They will have to actually play football against us on Tuesday and that will open up gaps that Albert can exploit. Playing against a back 6 like on Sat doesn’t suit him but I think he can be dangerous when they aren’t so defensive.

Also I would start Hourihane over Whelan. Keep the ball on the ground and play through the midfield and to Tammy and Jack, don’t rely on crosses as they are strong aerially. 

We have drawn our last two matches at The Hawthorns and another draw would take us to Wembley. A win would be a much more comfortable way for us to progress though and would keep the potential nail biting down to a minimum.

It is only half time and it will not be easy, but it would be very fitting for us to go through on their patch on Tuesday night. It makes a change for Albion to be bleating about refereeing decisions after a game. They should have had a penalty, we shouldn’t have, Gayle should not be suspended, and Jack always dives and is never fouled. I didn’t hear them complaining when the Hand of Rod denied us a deserved win back in December!

We need a strong refereeing performance on Tuesday, as they will be diving in and around the penalty area like Tom Daley. They may also not be too averse to try to kick players like Jack, John and Tammy out of this game and possibly the next one.

Bomber Brown, Ally Robertson, Eric Clapton, Frank Skinner, Adrian Chiles, Joe Lycett! Your boys are going to take one hell of a beating! Just win it for us Villa!  🤞

• Like 4

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I’m not that up on religion as I’m a godless ape, but I think during Ramadan Muslims fast during the hours of daylight... so presumably he could eat if it’s dark by kick off, but not sure what’s best medically. If he’s been fasting all day, is having food just before running for 90mins the best idea?

There are exemptions for sportspeople. I assume they aren't fasting. If they are I wouldn't be playing them (or paying them. They need to be at their peak).

• Like 1

It’s going to be a dirty and bitter 2nd leg. I think it could definitely be up there with the away games at Leeds and the pig sty. Prepare for their players throwing themselves to the ground at every opportunity, and there’ll be a lot of baiting. We have a healthy experience for games like that this season, so hopefully we stick to what we’re good at. For me we start with exactly the same 11. 

Edited by OxfordVillan

Rather bizarrely, they seem a more confident bunch this time around.

I particularly like this bit of insight

I believe Vile will sit back with a view to trying to hit us on the break.

An early goal for us would be massive.

Or this

I can't help thinking we will win one nil - then nothing in extra time - then penalties...

Good luck keeping us from scoring.

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

Apparently the EFL are looking into the Grealish penalty. 

Source? Cuz I can't find anything.

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Looks like I got hooked. Just Leeds and WBA pleading for it. I can't see anything official. 

Oh I see plenty of pleading for it alright :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BOF said:

Rather bizarrely, they seem a more confident bunch this time around.

I particularly like this bit of insight

Or this

Good luck keeping us from scoring.

They think we will sit back and defend that lead? This isn't Steve Bruce. 

I think score early and it will certainly help quiet the boggie bowl

Whatever happens I'm reassured in the knowledge that we have a manager who will go out to try and win this game not just try and cling on to the aggregate lead we have. Attack is the best form of defence!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blunther said:

There are exemptions for sportspeople. I assume they aren't fasting. If they are I wouldn't be playing them (or paying them. They need to be at their peak).

I lived in the Middle East for years and Ramadan isn't a hard and fast rule. If you have reason to break the fast early or not do it for a day it's perfectly fine. 

Just so we're clear people observing the fast don't eat or drink in daylight hours. In parts of the world where you have long daylight hours (so in this part of the world when Ramadan falls in summer), people often observe Mecca hours of light and darkness. 

So I can only assume that Anwar and the staff will make a call on this. But if he is observing the full fast there is no way he should be in the 18, nevermind the starting 11. 

• Like 1