Cup Final Two (of three) - pre-match

mjmooney

This game will be a tactical headache for them.

They cant sit back and defend the lead, because they don't have it. They have to go out on the attack, but without two of their best attackers.( tee hee)

If we maintain composure, and just keep playing in the same style we have been for the past couple of months, we shouldn't have any problems.

Up the mighty Villa!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd love to turn the tables on them with all their bloody time wasting. It was utterly embarrassing from them. 

We did, we have, and it was. 🙂

Hourihane for Whelan seems pretty obvious. Game changed with him. 

Green or Kodjia for Adomah. Green did alright when came on, but the goal threat of Kodjia on the break though... that experience might be needed for this game...

Possibly Hause for Taylor - shore up our defence a little bit. Not sure on this one as I still think Taylor’s our weak spot, he has been on decent form.

90 minutes left - we can do this!

Shan mentioned in his post match interview that he may have to change the system to accommodate other attacking players due to Gayle being suspended. 

How do they normally play? Are they comfortable using different formations? Changing your shape in the second leg of a semi final may not be a good idea. 

We need to keep our discipline that's for sure. You know they will try get our players sent off. 

Also they were doubling up on El ghazi side alot which was effective for them for large parts of the game. Need to cater for that. 

• Like 1

Hause in for Taylor I think, added height for set pieces and Taylor had a stinker yesterday with the ball, did okay defensively and worked hard throughout but he slows down play almost every time it reaches him and often gives the ball away. 

I'd be tempted to keep whelan in funnily enough, hourihane is much more of a game changing option off the bench versus whelan and hopefully he got his bad performance out of his system yesterday. 

Adomah offers more in keeping the shape defensively, Green tends to wander more so not sure he'll change that up either given the context of the game. 

Nice selection problems to have though, genuine options all over the pitch. 

I don't want to get too excited about Gayle being out for them (despite it obviously being good news) as football has a habit of biting you in the ass, knowing our luck some 18 year old kid will make their debut and bag a hat trick! 

• Like 2

---------------Steer

Elmo Mings Tuanzebe Hause

---------McGinn Whelan

--------------Hourihane

El Ghazi Tammy Grealish

Green had moments where he looked good yesterday and could've made it 3 but i think coming off the bench against their ancient back line he'll be effective again, especially if they're still chasing a result at that point. 

Slightly harsh on Taylor to put Hause in there but he's much better in the air.

Hourihane looks very, very up for it and him and Tammy work very well together.

McGinn should be kicking himself for letting the game pass him by, if he plays like we know he can we'll win the game. 

0-4 (1-6)

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

We need to keep our discipline that's for sure. You know they will try get our players sent off. 

Also they were doubling up on El ghazi side alot which was effective for them for large parts of the game. Need to cater for that. 

Yes we must keep our heads, and wind them up instead. 

Given our defensive record in the last 13 or so games, which, barring the Norwich game is something like conceding no more than 1 goal per game. Now, considering Gayle and Robson-Kanu are both suspended it means they're going to be short of firepower up front.

So do they go and attack us from the start because they can't afford to sit back and if they do they'll be very vulnerable and their defensive record is pretty dire, so I can see goals for us. They couldn't stop us from scoring when they had pretty much everyone behind the ball. 

If we can score first we'll win the tie I reckon and I can see Smith putting out an attacking line up to try and get the job done. I'd start with Hourihane in case they try and sit back because he does work well with the other central midfielders, and like the others, can create something out of nothing as we saw yesterday.

We're hard to break down. We've only conceded 2 goals in a match twice since February, and we've only conceded 3 in a match once since February. Albion need to score 2 without reply on Tuesday to win in regulation time. If we get just 1 goal then Albion need to do what only Sheffield United have done since February and score 3 against Villa. I don't envy Albion at all as they may have the home advantage, but they have conceded in all but one of their home games since February. Albion struggle to keep clean sheets and that's going to hurt them in the Play-Offs. 

Edited by Daweii